Essex V6 tuning

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

maestroman
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by maestroman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice on engine set up / tuning for an Essex V6 in an SE5a.

The engine was rebuilt last year , tubular manifolds, port and polished head and manifold, new carb , new dizzy, Aldon electric ignition, high quality gasket sets, new HT leads, cap and rotor arm from Burton Power. The car is also running a steel timing gear set, alloy radiator, silicone hoses , aftermarket fan, facet electric fuel pump, standard Ford air filter housing and a new(ish) wiring loom. The car is 4speed manual, none overdrive. All in all its pretty sorted and usable and reliable. The car is running a standard camshaft.

The engine itself holds temperature no problems, I have never bothered working out the MPG, but it seems reasonable to me. The main issue I am having is setting everything up. It`s either a little bit lean, or to rich etc. A few local people have had a look and all give different opinions. But its never quite right, low revs are tick over, sooted plugs after 1.000 miles , though it always passes the MOT emission test.

So my question .. is worth taking to the car to a dyno tuning place to be set up? Not for a BHP power run , but more to get the timing, air and fuel set up etc. Maybe the carb needs different jets etc? Back in the day I used to use rolling roads for big turbos, fuel injectors and piggy back ECU`s, but I realise the Essex is a different beast. I can`t seem to find anyone locally who can offer any form of static tuning facility. In terms of rolling road setup there is a company called Shrewsbury Automotive Services ( no webpage only on Bookface) , who will dyno the car and have a look at the engine setup. Or there is https://www.aldonauto.co.uk/about.aspx who seem to offer a full rolling road set up, but is this over kill. I suspect Aldon will have more experience and I don`t mind traveling / paying for the right expertise , but I don`t want to be chasing snake oil and hens teeth. Is a rolling road session worth the money ?

I want the car to be as usable possible and to make the most out of what has been done to it. last year I covered 2,000 miles in it. Mainly Welsh A roads and back roads. The only dual carriage way it tends to go on is on the way to Scimfest.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers
Stephen

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz351/maestroman1/

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:21 pm

I think most modern rolling road facilities will just play with their computer settings, which is fine for an electronic injection engine - they extracted another 12 bhp from mine - but will tell them nothing at all about carb settings, mechanical ignition timing etc.
Aldon might be an exception because they have been around for a VERY long time.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website site Scimitar EUROPEEN
On the road I don't drive fast, but I don't slow down for corners
In competition I drive very fast, but not always on the track ...

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by philhoward » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Aldon do know about carbs, and to be honest there's not much point going to one unless they've got a big box of alternative jets and tubes. Which Aldon will.

Will it be worth it? Yes. But it won't be cheap. If you budget for £100 an hour, that's probably not far off and expect them to want to book a half day at least.

If you fancy a go yourself, the only way you can tell what's going on is a wideband lambda sensor (theoretically 2 but you could argue what you need to do to one bank, you need to do to the other), have a run,see if you can spot where it's lean/rich, consult a bible on carb tuning (as to which jet does what and when), buy new jets, fit, try again, repeat..at which point you've got a load of jets that don't work left over and won't have got every road condition you wanted, then still need to get it sorted on a rolling road..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
SS1 Racer
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:35 pm

I used Aldon and found them patient , helpful and understanding.
Spent 3 hours doing full blown power runs and apart from a tiny timing alteration at high rpm my chokes and jets etc were spot on even though we were swapping parts after each run

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

1969SE5

Essex V6 tuning

Post by 1969SE5 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:19 pm

http://www.hitechmotorsport.co.uk/

in my experience way better than Aldon, always use Mick for my Rally car tuning......

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

Nick

Essex V6 tuning

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:39 pm

What carb are you running.? standard valves? Cam?

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

barry_bryan
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by barry_bryan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:38 pm

I would recommend Mick Hittech had 3 cars set up by him he is the best had a 1460 mini 1600 crossflow in a sylva stryka & my 5a

Barry Bryan

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:16 pm

Aldon are set up for Webers with spares etc

I however took my own jets and choke tubes

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

maestroman
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by maestroman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi all,

i had thought about the lamba sensor as Phil suggested. But with buying a sensor, jets and my time ( and lack of skill) it be easier to go straight down the professional route

The carb is a new genuine 38DGAS, straight out of the box with the jets as supplied. The heads are from Essex Engines and are mild road heads, with a standard camshaft

Cheers
Stephen

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz351/maestroman1/

Nick

Essex V6 tuning

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:42 pm

Frankly if you get the basics right ( tappets,ignition) I doubt if would justify the rolling road costs. The 38dgas is a decent piece of kit, yours is obviously in good condition. Worth checking what main jets you have, plenty of information on this web site. A size up from standard might be justified

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by Old and Slow » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:09 pm

I'd start by fitting hotter spark plugs.. If yours are sooting up as you say, then it is possible they are a bit too cool, and it isn't a rich mixture problem. There are suggestions that it might be caused by E5 fuel, but I'm not sure about this.
Cheaper than a day at a rolling road, anyway.
At the other extreme if the plugs are too hot you may find the engine won't stop running after you turn the ignition off so I'd only change the plugs by one digit, i.e. go from NGK BP6 ES to a BP5 ES which is hotter (This plug is for the straight six, I don't know what plugs the Essex uses, but the principle still applies).
Hope this helps - worth a try, anyway.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by Old and Slow » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:16 pm

BTW, the NGK catalog(ue) is available from here to download:
https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/files/N ... hicles.pdf
Lots of background info on spark plugs..
It lists Reliant cars too!

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

scim_rebel
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by scim_rebel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:08 pm

I would certainly recommend:

http://www.aireytuning.com/tablet/index.html

About 50 years experience of setting up road, race and rally cars, a thoroughly nice chap and - judging by some of the figures mentioned above - very reasonably priced.

All depends where you are of course, or how far you're happy to travel... :D

Carl

1968 SE4a & 1971 SE5
1972 Fairthorpe TX-GT

Previous: 1968(x2), 1969, 1970 & 1971 SE5s, a brace of Rebels plus a 1970 Trident Clipper. Does a 2004 MG-ZTT count too?

A pessimist is never disappointed...

MGinterloper

Essex V6 tuning

Post by MGinterloper » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:29 pm

As a regular member and contributor on the MG forum the feedback on this guy is second to none: http://www.peter-burgess.com/page28.html

Will a RR tune be worth it... you bet your life it will. No snake oil, just the right equipment to check the engine is performing at it's best at all speeds/loads. Having changed a number of components away from standard none of the standard set-up metric e.g., timing, carb jetting etc. will apply and the only way to get the best out of your particular configuration is on a RR in the hands of someone who knows how to interpret the outputs. Peter's your man.... :-D

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Essex V6 tuning

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Dave Evans--LittleScim, text me this suggestion

Suggest Mosley rolling road in Llangadog to him please they have been around since plugs and points,my old Lada rallying days!

Hope that helps :)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Return to “General Technical Discussion”