Scimitar Type approval document

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46

haustrup
RSSOC Member

Post by haustrup » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:03 am

Hi everyone and greetings from Denmark.

I would kindly ask if the official type approval documents are available for our cars, specifically I'm interested in the SE6A, SE6B and SE8(GTC) models.

Yesterday I joined a Lotus Club meeting where a discussion of RHD/LHD versions were on the table regarding to our taxation system - caused by different infomations given by different people within the official taxing system - as some claim that a conversion from RHD to LHD is a fundamental change to the car, with the consequence that a complete new tax procedure should be started (with no refund for the present taxation given, meaning double tax to pay, which can be a lot, as we have very high car taxes even for older cars).

Our Tax authorities has been through a fundamental administrative change, and even if the law and rules are the same, new interpretations has come to light with some extreme consequences - some american car owner has been met with costly demands, just because they have changed the standard wheels slightly, or have changed the paint to metallic - because it's a different car from when it was built, they claim!!!

It seems as, at least for some Lotus models, that the type approval document is given for both versions, meaning that both versions will be be accepted as originals, even if they are converted later on.

This is the reason for my question- how was the Scimitars approved originally - one document for both versions or two or separate documents - and has anyone a copy og these?

However, one good thing can be mentioned to the relocation changes. During the relocation of regional offices to a central office a file cabinet containing was lost!!!!! This means that vital informations from before digitization has been lost, so I don't think that Danish cars, registered before that date, will have problems - but newer might.

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:42 pm

haustrup wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:03 am
as some claim that a conversion from RHD to LHD is a fundamental change to the car,
That is a very big claim. On a Scimitar it is only a few changes to the body and removable / changeable parts.

In that case a power steering converion would also affect type approval. :w

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:33 pm

The Scimitars before SS1 (and even some after) were never homologated for Europe.
I am in a position to issue Certificates of Conformity for the earlier cars for the french authorities and as I understand it a CoC for any european country is valid in any other.
I can tell you however that there is no mention of left- or right-hand drive (or power steering :mrgreen: )

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:02 pm

DARK STAR wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:33 pm
The Scimitars before SS1 (and even some after) were never homologated for Europe.
I suspect they were, we just don’t have the documentation. Reliant wouldn’t have made so many LHD cars without a route to sale?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:33 pm

scimjim wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:02 pm
DARK STAR wrote:
I suspect they were, we just don’t have the documentation. Reliant wouldn’t have made so many LHD cars without a route to sale?
I think in those days cars just had to comply with local regulations. Small numbers never had to have a type approval. Here in the Netherlands non-official 'grey' import of USA cars did the same, offering models the official importers did not.
In those days you could register any car. Not like today when you are treated like a criminal when trying to register a kit car of alikes.

Erik Hofman

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:40 pm

I’m pretty sure they were around in the early 70s (UN & EC regs) and there was some kind of framework around in the early 60s (although not necessarily meant for moving between countries, more guidelines for single states).

For example, this is in the UK Type Approval Regulations:

“ECE Regulation” means a Regulation annexed to the Agreement concerning the adoption of uniform conditions of approval for motor vehicle equipment and parts and reciprocal recognition thereof concluded at Geneva on 2nd March 1958(4) as amended(5) to which the United Kingdom is a party(6)”

How rigorously it was checked and enforced is another matter - just look at some of the kit cars of the period! 🤡

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Current Dutch situation is:
All cars post 1972 need to have a type approval when imported.
If it is not available, an exactly the same car already registerd can be used as a pro forma TA. Under EU regulations any other EU regsitration has te be acknowledged. This route actally means: any national TA can be lifted up to EU level in individual cases.
So the door is open to do an actual outisde EU import to a country not rigid and then do a Dutch import. Old USA cars do use the 'Germany' route.

Erik Hofman

Sabreite
RSSOC Member

Post by Sabreite » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:03 pm

scimjim wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:02 pm
DARK STAR wrote:
I had an email from the Reliant Motor Club newsletter this morning and in it was the news of Reliant archives. I have copied it below. Would it be prudent for the RSSOC to send someone along to see if there are any documents that would be helpful for this thread and for future information, that the club does not have at present. Maybe “Scimjim” as you seem to be the oracle for most info Jim??

John

“Our archives at the Reliant Motor Club have received a huge boost thanks to Rob Walsh - Managing Director at Reliant Partsworld (RPW). Last September, Rob invited us down to survey the Reliant archives that have been stored in a metal shipping container for the last 20 years or so since Reliant closed its doors for the final time. Naturally we accepted such an offer and we visited RPW and managed to collect some amazing things. You can find out more about these in our December club magazine.”

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:33 pm

A shipping container could store an awful lot of documents :shock:
I bet Dave Poole would have a go ...

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Dave has been, as has Phil Andrew - I spoke to Elvis and Rob and offered storage but the RMC have it sorted now.

Some pics have been posted on Facebook and much more will come out via the RMC.

Jim King

Return to “General Technical Discussion”