SE6A rebuild stuck

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Fuzzbutt

SE6A rebuild stuck

Post by Fuzzbutt » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:29 pm

So in 2014 I decided to buy a 1978 Scimitar SE6A GTE, and get it back on the road. The idea was to get it road worthy piece by piece and use it as is. It was never going to be a show car or anything like that, however my father convinced my to take the body off and weld the chassis properly, so it ended up being almost a nut and bolt restoration, minus the bodywork. I've rebuilt the engine, welded and sprayed the chassis in 2 pack, repaired the gearbox, put it all back together with all new bushes in the front end, everything cleaned, repaired and painted. a couple of summers ago I put the body back on and since then I've been stuck. It's difficult to pinpoint a specific problem, but things that should be simple, for instance, putting the weather strip on the doors is turning out to be a real ordeal, and I've seriously been considering just giving up and selling it all.

So I guess my question is, have any of you gotten stuck on a project for a long time, and how did you get through it?

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

SE6A rebuild stuck

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:34 pm

I think everyone has at some point or another.

I try and set goals, like “get it ready for scimfest” for example. :)

Half the big or body off projects I’ve seen over the years get sold on as unfinished projects :w

JC

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

SE6A rebuild stuck

Post by peter freeman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:49 pm

It will be worth it in the end - just bite the bullet and keep going - it looks like you have done the hard bit

MickP

SE6A rebuild stuck

Post by MickP » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:26 pm

As many on here know, I sold my '78 SE6a on here earlier this year because I felt no longer physically capable of doing exactly what you are pretty well progressed with. Ironically, there is a very slight possibility that I may be buying the car back!

I have done my share of these kind of things in the past and would give the following advice - for what it is worth, if anything:

Forget about finishing it, just tidy it up for storage or selling. If the chassis is completed then you may as well sit the body on it as it will take up less space. To prevent the body bolts getting lost then just stick them in the correct holes and, of course, put the washers and nuts on the bolts as they could easily get lost too. Then, just to tidy the place up, sit the seats in their correct places and, again the same with the seat bolts.... etc, etc. Probably best to store the headlamps in their correct places as well, and so on. It works, believe me. At some point you will look at it and think "You know, this is almost done. I wonder if I could get it started up?".

Another thing that I would seriously recommend (and I am not being funny here) is, if you watch television then get rid of it. TV becomes a default time waster for many people.

I temporarily abandoned my 38 year old Suzuki rebuild for 5 months this year and did my best to forget about it. I then managed to get it running and that was a great motivator. Now I cannot wait for next spring to get it on the road just to let everyone of a certain age enjoy the two-stroke scent.

As Peter says above, it looks like you have done the worst of it anyway.

SOLD: 1978 SE6a Auto.
1997 Ducati 900SS - Last carb. model.
SOLD: 1960 BSA Bantam D7 - more "fun" than the Ducati.
1998 Honda CG125 - great in slow traffic.
1981 Suzuki SB200 2-stroke twin - undergoing rebuild.
Gallery Project
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.” - Aldous Huxley.

Scimher

SE6A rebuild stuck

Post by Scimher » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:18 pm

Anybody having seen my cars will say that I am probably the last person to comment.. :oops: ..but I was heavily involved in getting my then MGA back on the road, many years ago - that had its rear shroud off as well as gearbox/engine, floor boards etc., etc - it was done, despite me having got married 10mths. before it hit the road.....You mention the door weather strips - I would say that if one particular job is not going well, then walk away from it & start & achieve another job.....that will give you some satisfaction & when you go back to the job that was a pain in the rectum you will find that it will go rather more smoothly. Just remember that at the end of the day you will have a sound, versatile, prestige, performance motor car that is (or will be shortly...) MOT exempt, qualifies for historic (free) tax, comparatively, pennies to insure & all bought & paid for!! There you go, instant family heirloom, a topic of conversation, transport, a hobby - a social aid to making friends with people who have the same interests... :mrgreen: ....Convinced to get on with it, yet????... :lol:................Oh, & importantly, rather than selling it & thinking you may get something in the future, you know your vehicle inside out & will have the satisfaction of having resurrected it... :wink:

David Tew
RSSOC Member

SE6A rebuild stuck

Post by David Tew » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Hear, hear, well said all.

Fuzzbutt, we've probably all been stuck on a restoration at some stage. My Coupe was stuck in the bodyshop for a few years and how I missed it! All the jobs I was dreading beforehand became things to look forward to.

Sometimes it still seems that despite all the work I put into it there's a never-ending mental list of things to do. However, I always make an physical list of what is to be done and tick them off when done. That way I can prove to myself that I am making actual progress. If it still gets too much I walk away for a couple of days and do something else, it's always a relief to get back to the rebuild. :D

As James suggests above, a target event is good. I'm working towards Curborough next year (fingers crossed!). No promises though. :wink:

- My wife says I don't listen to her ...... or something like that! -
SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
Bought in 1978 and an RSSOC member since. 😲

CarlosVanDango

SE6A rebuild stuck

Post by CarlosVanDango » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:31 pm

what i do is break it down into small jobs, if you've got an evening to spend on it just plan one job to do and go do that, then plan the next one, next time do that one, and so on - every big job is just a series of small jobs - eventually you get to the point where there are no jobs left to do ............................... apparently :lol:

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

SE6A rebuild stuck

Post by Nigel Clark » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm

CarlosVanDango wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:31 pm
what i do is break it down into small jobs, if you've got an evening to spend on it just plan one job to do and go do that, then plan the next one, next time do that one, and so on - every big job is just a series of small jobs - eventually you get to the point where there are no jobs left to do ............................... apparently :lol:
+1, eat the elephant one bite at a time.

Nigel

Return to “General Technical Discussion”