SE6a rear axle clicking sound; axle float?

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Villyman

Post by Villyman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi all,
I'm Tim from Belgium and drive an SE6a from 1979. Since a couple of weeks I hear some clicking sound from the rear as like the exhaust hits something like the chassis or rear damper unit. When I pull the wheels sideways on my bridge, I can feel some play as like the halfshafts move in the rear axle and again I hear this clicking noise. I thought it could be possible to adjust this play by turning the central nut on the end of the shafts (in the middle of the brake drums) but now I read on the forum that play should be remover by using spacers. I think it's strange that extra play occurs and that I should fit extra spacers, not? If extra spacers are needed, where are they to be fitted?
Thanks for your time and energy!

Greetings from Eeklo, Belgium.

Cheers, Tim.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:08 pm

There should be end float in the rear axle - to have none will cause damage. You need someone who knows about the axle to check it out. I had a MOT man years ago who told me that my bearing needed replacing - he had never heard of end float and knew nothing about older cars. Earlier Aston Martins and Jags to name but two used the same axle.

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Post by Nigel Clark » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:57 pm

peter freeman wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:08 pm
There should be end float in the rear axle - to have none will cause damage. You need someone who knows about the axle to check it out. I had a MOT man years ago who told me that my bearing needed replacing - he had never heard of end float and knew nothing about older cars. Earlier Aston Martins and Jags to name but two used the same axle.
Yes, I've had the same experience over rear hub end float with an MoT tester.

The clicking sound is most likely a bit of end float on the planet gears in the differential. Salisbury axles were well known for this. Usually the noise is most obvious when hot, on a very light throttle. My SE6A has done this for ages (more than 10k miles). One day I will get the axle rebuilt but I'm confident it will go a lot further before the rebuild becomes essential.

Just keep the diff topped up with EP90 GL4 gear oil and regularly apply the grease gun to the nipples on the rear hubs. All should then be fine for many miles/km.

Nigel

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:09 am

You are correct Tim, less shims ( spacers ) will remove movement.
To remove end float the shims underneath the wheel bearing disc, which is behind the brakeshoe back plate, will push the outer race of the bearings closer to the tapered inner race and reduce movement.
Can be a fiddly job, and not really a diy job without the correct tools.
As Nigel and Peter have said it`s not something to panic about.

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

mn757
RSSOC Member

Post by mn757 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:05 am

I've just had my SE6 axle rebuilt by AJS Engineering in Brentwood who do a lot of Jaguar and Aston Martin rebuilds. Full overhaul including shotblast and repaint for a very good price.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... mgeIVI5HfB

1965 Scimitar GT SE4
1976 Scimitar GTE SE6
1985 SS1 1300 5 Speed

also...
1974 Lambretta Li125, 1957 Francis Barnett, 1960 Matchless G2, 1960 Mobylette, 1957 Victoria Nicky, 1976 Puch MS50D, Royal Enfield Bullet 350cc, 2005 MG ZT-T

Previous - 1970 SE5, 1976 SE6, 1979 SE6a, 1977 Scimitar GTE SE6a 3500 V8

Return to “General Technical Discussion”