Paint finish on roof

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Paint finish on roof

Post by Rev Light » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 am

The roof on my car is going a bit funny......well it's not actually the paint. It's the lacquer. Does it not like the sun?. The question is What to do? I am not ready for a full respray. Lots of other things to do first.....rattle can from Halfords?

Comments appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20190707_112508.jpg
IMG_20190707_112508.jpg (152.18 KiB) Viewed 618 times
IMG_20190707_112504.jpg
IMG_20190707_112504.jpg (105.11 KiB) Viewed 618 times

SE5a 'Fancier'

rebel alliance

Paint finish on roof

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:22 pm

No...Try Turtle wax colour magic first

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Paint finish on roof

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:30 pm

Yes, if it really has been lacquered (why would it be on a solid colour?) the lacquer is delaminating. Quite common with older paints, the Mk2 Cortina was famous for Blue Mink and Silver fox metallics losing strips of it after a few years. It could be that it has been sprayed with aerosol lacquer because it wouldn't polish, as a bodge.

Without seeing it in the flesh, I am not sure what's up with yours, but I can assess it when I replace that nose seal for you or any other time you are passing.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Paint finish on roof

Post by Rev Light » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 pm

If you look carefully at the second picture, you can see there are a couple of places, if you zoom in, where the lacquer has actually lifted to reveal the paint underneath.

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Paint finish on roof

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Is it actually lacquered? The pic looks more like paint and primer on top of another coat of paint?

Have your tried wet sanding a area until your past all the nastiness?

JC

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Paint finish on roof

Post by Rev Light » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Oh it's definitely been blown over. But what is coming off the roof is a layer of lacquer. I have not yet started to wet and dry it, as I am not yet ready for the consequences.

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

midscotscim
RSSOC Member

Paint finish on roof

Post by midscotscim » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:44 pm

Have the same issue on mine, though much less severe. Car is kept in a garage and I try to avoid rain. On occasions when the car has been wet for a prolonged period ( 2 days solid at a car show ) lacquer in affected areas becomes soft and pliable with water between the paint and lacquer. Once the lacquer dries out again fully, it becomes hard and brittle. Tried Colour Magic but it did nothing to disguise affected area.
Lost some lacquer off the sides of the bonnet some years ago and achieved reasonable results by flaking off the loose “white” lacquer, t-cut the exposed paint and then use Colour Magic. Tried the same trick on the roof but the paint was so thin the t-cut went right through it. Like you I am not ready to think about resprays but don’t want to risk causing bigger problems.

Regards, Mark.

Black Middlebridge

Return to “General Technical Discussion”