Castrol GTX

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

RonH
RSSOC Member

Castrol GTX

Post by RonH » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:25 am

Old and Slow wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:12 pm
Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:49 pm
an ordinary retired old crock RSSOC member
Same as me then!! :(

Basic questions - what quantity is needed for each oil change? I have two old cars so double the quantity, and assuming I buy enough for 3 years, that's six lots.
How do you raise sufficient interest to make a bulk purchase, but then there's the delivery issue; do they deliver direct, or would we need to visit sunny Devon to collect?
Philip
Not quite the same as me then. Should be retired but money is important when owning Scimitars. :lol: :lol:
Eight cars x 3 years = 24 lots. Again the question of delivery. Sunny Devon is a little too far from Staffordshire. Is there any possibility of getting this?
Ron

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Castrol GTX

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:46 pm

Phil and Ron.
For the first oil change use 10% (ten percent) by volume; thereafter 5% (five percent) by volume for further oil changes. - applies to engine, gearbox, axle and power steering fluid. So it depends on how often you change your oil (fully synthesised = longer periods between changes) as to how much you will need over time.
Not forgetting their cartridge of grease with ready added AFMT for grease gun....just right for the trunnions.
Example: Scimitar engine taking 5.6 Lit - add 10% = 0.56Lit first time then 0.28Lit for next oil changes. I use one of those large syringes from a farm supplies retailers to measure and add to engine oil bit by bit as you top up.
I tell them the address for delivery and it goes there, so not necessary for you to come and pick up......possibility for the Scimaritans to move it around locally?. Individual orders can be delivered direct but obviously the more the people the more to share the delivery cost instead of one person.

I raised the interest at our Devon noggin just by letting people know about it and sharing my experience. Also gave info to one of my local garages who I have known and who have done work with me since 1969 so 2 of the mechanics ordered (one was apprentice and now senior Mec, other does my Scim Mots.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Castrol GTX

Post by Old and Slow » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the info, I don't usually attend our noggin, but it looks like an opportunity for reducing delivery costs. I'll get back to you later.
Philip

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

RonH
RSSOC Member

Castrol GTX

Post by RonH » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi Dennis
I’ve tried tonight to locate the website and find options for purchase. However, I appear to be going around in circles.
Checked out eBay and end up with probiotic tablets.
Are you saying I order it and have it delivered to me or alternatively you order it and send it on. Also I’m surprised that no one has mentioned price.
Any help appreciated
Ron

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Castrol GTX

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:37 am

Would there be any interest in my webshop stocking it and maybe in time for sale at Curborough?

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Castrol GTX

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:26 am

RonH wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:05 pm
Hi Dennis
I’ve tried tonight to locate the website and find options for purchase. However, I appear to be going around in circles.
Checked out eBay and end up with probiotic tablets.
Are you saying I order it and have it delivered to me or alternatively you order it and send it on. Also I’m surprised that no one has mentioned price.
Any help appreciated
Ron
Ron. I order it and give the address to which it is to be delivered to.
My thinking is that the retailer prefers larger orders and is more likely to keep up the discount than if they get lots of small individual orders and, as said, the bigger the order the bigger the discount with delivery cost being relatively less.
What I have done so far is make a list of what people want then I order direct from my contact with the retailer and I pay for the order direct and then work out what individuals owe and collect it from them. When I order the bulk I give the address for it to be sent to. So far the orders have been for our local noggin and for others who have visited our area/local car happenings so it can be arranged for me or one of our members to pass their order to them. Remotely I am happy to get the cash by bank transfer and others have paid cash. I can store orders until convenient for them to be picked up or another arrangement be made for them to be transferred.
As said the only advantage to me is that I get the AFMT at the lower discount bulk price price than if I just bought 2 or 5 litres at a time.
E.g. back in Oct. 2015, 3 X 5 Lit AFMT + 4 of 400gram grease cartridges + delivery came to £322.72 and worked out at 5 Lit + 400g costing £105.08 for one persons order.
However for the last order in Oct 2018 4 X 5 lit + 5 X 1 Lit + 3 X 400g + delivery came to £368.18 and worked out at 5Lit + 400g costing one person £77.45 .......OR for just 5Lit £67.81. Those having the 1 litre bottles paid slightly extra per Lit e.g. 3 lit was £40.87.

For ease of my calculation I break down orders into units where 1Lit = 1 unit and 1 X 400 gram cartridge = 1 unit and thus delivery charge per unit can be worked out and shared together with cost per unit of product.
Note that in Apr 2009 one of my early orders just for me of 3.78 Lit was £112.54 (and even then I had worked out that it paid for itself in fuel saving alone! Now my 5 lit would have cost me £67.81.

As for website....SYNIONIC are the technical/handlers but being small were unable to handle the retail side of life and their retailer handlers let them down big way so they changed to SILVERLINE handling retail. The boss man at Synionic whom I used to deal with talked to the Silverline man for me to continue getting the club discount and that is where we are today. I think that if you see the price on SILVERLINE websit you will see the saving (though I do not know if they sell the AFMT on its own...I suppose they do?) Emphasis probably being on selling their brand oil with the AFMT already added.

Hope this makes things clearer. P.S. I do always take the invoice to show those buying how price arrived at.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Castrol GTX

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:48 am

AJL Electronics wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:37 am
Would there be any interest in my webshop stocking it and maybe in time for sale at Curborough?
AJL
Do you mean you are prepared to stock and sell on at cost for the good of members or would you be adding a percentage as a trader? That would then be up to individuals what they are prepared to pay??
By all means raise an order to be taken to Curbs where more members can get to know the product. As said, the larger the order the bigger the discount so even more members could benefit even more.
I am prepared to continue to do the work involved in order to get my requirements at the discount price and help out members.....but I am retired though still short of time :) .
It would certainly be good for large orders to be able to be taken for distribution to larger more frequent car meetings.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Castrol GTX

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:48 am
AJL
Do you mean you are prepared to stock and sell on at cost for the good of members or would you be adding a percentage as a trader?
It would be at normal retail if I have to order in and hold stock, but it would then be available to order easily and around the clock from my webshop.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”