Rainwater Leaks from Roof Gutter Rails on SE6A

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

PhilE
RSSOC Member

Post by PhilE » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:38 pm

I am sure this has been covered before but I cannot find any reference on the Forum.
I foolishly left my car outside earlier in the week during a 24 hour period of near torrential rain. Afterwards when I checked inside I thought I had got away with it until I noticed the headlining immediately above the doors and side windows appeared darker than normal. It was wet and there was obviously water above the headlining.
The car has a Wesbasto Sunroof but I do not think this is to blame as all headlining surrounding this was perfectly dry. I believe the culprits are the Roof Gutter Rails.
Does anyone have any experience of successfully sealing these from the outside? On my car the channel width between the Gutter Rails and the Roof is so small that it would be extremely difficult to apply any form of sealant. I appreciate that I could just fill this channel to the top with sealant but I feel this would just create problems with rainwater running over the gutter rails and into the door and side window apertures.
I would be grateful for any advice.

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 pm

you need seak and seal, or captain tollys crack cure, it runs into the gaps then evaporates leaving sealant,
the water gets in between the gutter and body or through the rivets,

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Lacquer works as well

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Yes, I did mine with black mastic (on the mulberry car) and clear silicone sealant on the Yellow Peril, though things like Captain Tolley's should work as well. The gutter is pop riveted onto the roof, which provides a route for the water. You may find it goes down the B-pillar too, and soaks the seat belt reels at the bottom.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

PhilE
RSSOC Member

Post by PhilE » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:13 am

Thank you very much for your replies. This Forum is excellent!!!

Return to “General Technical Discussion”