TRUNION END CAP SOLDERING

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:54 pm

In tech forum on specific cars, under front end rebuilds of a couple of GTC one trunnion gets end cap soldered in.

Just wondering .........is there no danger of heat damage to the brass (or whatever it is) when heating for soldering the end cap in?

Previously I used JB WELD smothered fairly thickly over the cap/trunnion........It was done in several stages of layering because one big thick blob just drips off......layer, leave till beginning to set .......next layer, etc. or use araldite etc. For new trunnions this can be done on bench with trunnion end facing upwards so if araldite is warmed and as it reacts anyway it becomes runny and will self ooze into crevice of cap to trunnion
Use solder with non corrosive flux otherwise flux residue will eat either of two or both metals......Plumbers solder?

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

derekoss

Post by derekoss » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:48 pm

Difficult to know exact composition but you won't hurt it at soft soldering temperature. It takes a fairly good sized torch to get enough heat in there for a good joint.
I knock the cap out and clean and tin the steel first. Then refit and solder. Any suitable Flux will work and wash the residue off.
Derek

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:57 am

I have always soldered mine in with a blowtorch ( gas ) - never had any problems. Started doing this when the cap came out the first time I greased the trunnion.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 am

peter freeman wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:57 am
I have always soldered mine in with a blowtorch ( gas ) - never had any problems. Started doing this when the cap came out the first time I greased the trunnion.
Shall be taking the same approach with the new ones for my SE5a and Coupe when fitting, better safe than sorry and a bloody site easier to do prior to fitting off the car

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:14 pm

The TR4 trunnions have a grease nipple in the cap. So far, the grease gun pressure hasn't blown out the caps, but soldering them in looks like a good idea. Do you fit the grease nipples first, or afterwards, with a risk of swarf getting in?

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:27 pm

You need to avoid solder getting into the nipple threads - how you do it is up to you - you can of course run a tap through the threads to make sure they are not "contaminated" after you have soldered the cap in.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”