Impact Driver

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Impact Driver

Post by Rev Light » Wed May 08, 2019 10:04 am

I was trying to align my doors on the weekend as they have always stood out a bit proud, especially at the trailing edge. This causes noise on the run and people to point out that my doors are not shut properly.

I was entirely successful on the driver's side, adjusting the striker plate, so that the door fits nicely (okay, better than before). However, although I was able to adjust the mechanism on the passenger door, it was not enough to get the door flush. I was not able to undo the screws on the striker plate on the car. They are both stuck fast. I will apply some release agent, but would the experts recommend the use of an impact driver to shift them?

Regards

Steve

SE5a 'Fancier'

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Impact Driver

Post by scimjim » Wed May 08, 2019 10:06 am

I think the important thing is to get the correct sized screwdriver bit - as soon as they’re slightly rounded, they’re a pain to remove. I wouldn’t use an impact driver as there’s not much metal behind the striker plate to push against.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

derekoss

Impact Driver

Post by derekoss » Wed May 08, 2019 11:14 am

I've started grinding the tip of cross headed type screwdrivers so they seat better on the screw. There's no torque on the centre anyway. Dewalt seem particularly bad but none are perfect that I've found. Also make sure you're using Philips or Pozidrive as required. They are different and while normally you'll get away with it when dealing with tight stuff you won't.
Jack (within reason!) on the back of the screwdriver from the front door post. A piece of wood and a wedge will give you more pressure than can be achieved by you. A ratchet with a screwdriver bit is best. Try a slight tighten before reversing.

Derek

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

Impact Driver

Post by scimitargtc » Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Use plusgas then the correct size bit,,, maybe surprised how large the correct fitting 1 is. Wouldn’t use my mains power impact driver but might risk my manual one as a last resort

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6 (unnamed)
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto (unnamed)
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 Tekna CVT dci ("Quentin")
2019 Skoda Cititgo MPI SEL Greentech ("Clyde")
Space for 5 more! Money for none!!

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

Impact Driver

Post by Rev Light » Wed May 08, 2019 7:19 pm

I have managed to shift it with a ratchet handle with a much beefier bit. Although I was able to move it a little bit, which has improved the fit. But it isn't perfect. No more adjustment on it though.

SE5a 'Fancier'

Return to “General Technical Discussion”