Sparkless

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

speedy555
RSSOC Member

Sparkless

Post by speedy555 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Please be gentle with me, and explain as if you were talking to an infant as electrickery is something I expect just never got my head round 😣
So I purchased a non running 1974 5a. The spark was weak at the points and so I fitted the electronic ignition off my se5. New cap, new leads,new rotor arm, checked the firing order etc. I have an ignition light, and there is power going into and out of the coil as far as the points (before I removed them). However there is no spark at the plugs 😐🙁
It has had a bit of wiring altered and has a white ceramic type ballast resistor before the coil.
Any ideas? I've run out of my limited knowledge.
Thanks!

Dave Speed

1970 se5 1975 se5a
Prev. ss1 ti / 68 coupe/ 77 & 78 6a / 9x 5a's / '85 SS1 /87 SS1 1.3/ 2x '81 6b's / Cipher / 3 x 69 se5 / rialto / Rochdale Olympic

5 series Registrar

www.ssgclassics.co.uk

www.facebook.com/ssgclassics

Fibreglass liquid coating technician

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Sparkless

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Do you have a multimeter and timing strobe? Give me a ring if you get nowhere and I will talk you through the faultfinding.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Sparkless

Post by Old and Slow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Instead of the wire going to the distributor (points or electronic ignition) disconnect it at the coil, and with a new bit of wire connected to the coil, then if you earth the wire and then "Un-earth" it you should get a decent spark from the king lead to earth (i.e. take the king lead out of the dizzy cap and tape it to the block so that the core is a few mm away from the block).
The spark is generated when the points open, i.e. when you disconnect the new bit of wire.
This is the first step.
Hope it works!!
Philip

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Return to “General Technical Discussion”