Page 2 of 4

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:20 pm
by Roger Pennington
It's really just a question of covering your back. The insurers will *probably* say they don't mind; that's what mine said when I ran some T-rated tyres for a while, when I was saving up for Vredesteins, but the important thing is that you've told them.

Insurance is based on a thing called "the principle of utmost good faith" which basically commits the insurers to provide the insurance and pay out on claims, in exchange it commits you to pay the premiums and (the important bit here) to tell the insurers all the facts which might affect their assessment of the risk. If any fact are withheld, they are within their rights to annul the contract and repudiate any claims.

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 pm
by Ethanol
Roger Pennington wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:20 pm
It's really just a question of covering your back. The insurers will *probably* say they don't mind; that's what mine said when I ran some T-rated tyres for a while when I was saving up for Vredesteins, but the important thing is that you've told them.

Insurance is based on a thing called "the principle of utmost good faith" which basically commits the insurers to provide the insurance and pay out on claims, in exchange it commits you to pay the premiums and (the important bit here) to tell the insurers all the facts which might affect their assessment of the risk. If any fact is withheld, they are within their rights to annul the contract and repudiate any claims.
Then as I found 195 70 R14's on the front and wider 70 R14's on the back I can assume that some previous owner should have told his insurance. Actually, a case could be made that as I've put standard 185 80 14's back on the car I've put the car back to standard and on tyres that are certified to 118 mph a speed you can only exceed on the track. So I'm saying I'm not going to go fast.

Tyres

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:49 pm
by Roger Pennington
Ethanol wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 pm
Then as I found 195 70 R14's on the front and wider 70 R14's on the back I can assume that some previous owner should have told his insurance.
Absolutely right.
Ethanol wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 pm
Actually, a case could be made that as I've put standard 185 80 14's back on the car I've put the car back to standard
No, that's the point - You've put 185/80TRx14 whereas standard was 185/80HRx14.
Ethanol wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:42 pm
So I'm saying I'm not going to go fast.
Leaving aside for a moment your posts about the 275bhp ethanol engine, you've now posted about adding rear disks......

Tyres

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:21 pm
by noel6071
Good evening folks, I have a set of wolfrace alloys on my SE5a and all the tyres need changing, I know this has came up numerous times before I'm sure but what size alternative tyre suits these rims as the price of the size on it which are 185 14 90H are just crazy, its only going to be used moderately for shows not regular driving so just want advice on what other size tyre size suits the wolfrace alloys?

Tyres

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:48 pm
by scimjim
Roger Pennington wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:50 am
.......A more popular general choice seems to be 195/70HRx14 (assuming standard wheels/usage).

Tyres (again)

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 am
by Scimher
Possible temporary thread hijack warning! :D ....Am in temporary possession of a Spartan kitcar (Phil H.may have noticed it on his travels...) - don't laugh (in fact if anyone wants to buy it please get in touch..) Point is i've acquired some Sierra alloys 5.5J x 14 (standard GTE size) to go on it. Need some tyres if anyone has changed any due to putting Carlos Fandango jobbies on etc. Plus how narrow can one go? (175 presumably but 165???) Questions can relate to GTE's so hopefully I won't be in too much trouble... :)

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 am
by scimjim
There’s loads of info online and decent tyre manufacturers will recommend rim width for their tyres. Here’s the first one that came up (ignore the incorrect spelling of tyre :D )

Rim width (inch)......Min. tire width (mm).......Ideal tire width (mm).........Max. tire width (mm)
5,0...................................155.................165 or 175......................185
5,5................................... 165.................175 or 185......................195
6,0................................... 175.................185 or 195......................205
6,5................................... 185.................195 or 205......................215
7,0................................... 195.................205 or 215......................225
7,5................................... 205.................215 or 225......................235
8,0................................... 215.................225 or 235......................245
8,5................................... 225.................235 or 245......................255
9,0................................... 235.................245 or 255......................265
9,5................................... 245.................255 or 265......................275
10,0...................................255.................265 or 275......................285
10,5...................................265.................275 or 285......................295
11,0...................................275.................285 or 295......................305
11,5...................................285.................295 or 305......................315
12,0...................................295.................305 or 315......................325
12,5...................................305.................315 or 325......................335

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 am
by 1969SE5
chaps 14 x 7 Alloys, what do we think for tyres ? i currently have 205/55/15 but feel not tall enough, so going down a rim size, but going wider, was thinking maybe 215/70/14 increasing diameter by 5cm, so lifting 2.5cm ? how wide can you go on a 7, and anyone running that width with no PAS ?

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:37 am
by scimjim
Presumably 15x7, not 14?

Why go down a rim size instead of just going up on profile? When you say “not tall enough” I presume you mean the tyre, not the overall diameter?

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 am
by scimjim
I have 205/60x15 on 8 ball
3630AE0A-9286-447A-BD4E-9B38084B4429.jpeg
3630AE0A-9286-447A-BD4E-9B38084B4429.jpeg (572 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
10F45E54-DC55-4DA2-98B8-5BA98AD00D43.jpeg
10F45E54-DC55-4DA2-98B8-5BA98AD00D43.jpeg (374.79 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 am
by philhoward
Scimher wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 am
Possible temporary thread hijack warning! :D ....Am in temporary possession of a Spartan kitcar (Phil H.may have noticed it on his travels...)
I did spot it :D

For reference, Geoff, the SS1 uses a 5.5x14 alloy as standard and use 185/60x14 tyres. To get the right size appropriate to the running gear, it would be useful to know what the bits came from - Cortina is a guess? If so, you'd be looking at 185/60x14 to make sure the speedo is reasonably accurate. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be easier to get some leftovers but not impossible..
175/65x14 might be another choice to look at (bit cheaper) - if you have the budget for new ones, the guy in Bucknall on the Werrington Road is as cheap as anywhere: https://www.stokeontrent-tyres.co.uk/Ty ... Bike=False with some good deals on Toyo and Firestone at the moment (even GT Radial ones with a free fuel "rebate").

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:53 am
by 1969SE5
no, going down a rim size 15 to 14 but want overall diameter to be a little larger.

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:53 am
by philhoward
1969SE5 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 am
chaps 14 x 7 Alloys, what do we think for tyres ? i currently have 205/55/15 but feel not tall enough, so going down a rim size, but going wider, was thinking maybe 215/70/14 increasing diameter by 5cm, so lifting 2.5cm ? how wide can you go on a 7, and anyone running that width with no PAS ?
I ran 195/65x15 on the front of my 5a on a 7x15 rim and it wasn't too bad. 205's make it a bit heavy for my liking and 215's would be a step too far IMHO. Dennis Nicholls fitted 195/75x14 to his GTC recently?

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:09 am
by philhoward
1969SE5 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:53 am
no, going down a rim size 15 to 14 but want overall diameter to be a little larger.
Larger than standard, or larger than you have now?

Tyres

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 am
by 1969SE5
larger than the current 15's, far to much space in the arches !! think i am getting a wheel addiction, now have 14 inch PA , 15 inch PA, and 14 inch AR Vector's