hazards/flashers 1977 GTE

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

deiselden

Post by deiselden » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi looking for a bit of help my new, to me 1977 GTE, hazards not working, wiring under dash is like dogs dinner scotch locks all over place, relay that works flashers is blue and opaque with 4 terminals, sitting next to it is what I
would call the correct flasher unit for year of vehicle only 2 terminals no power going to this unit, when hazard switch on it cuts power to the relay and flashers inop, wiring to relay has 2 other wires scotch locked in seem to go to a
ballast resistor then disappear, does any one now what colour wires should be attached to relay/flasher unit , to give me a fighting chance of sorting problem.

Dennis

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: hazards/flashers 1977 GTE

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Often, a lack of hazards is simply due to dirt in the switch, combined with lack of use, and you may find that repeated cycling of the switch combined with a spray of switch cleaner, may fix it. Normally there would be two metal can type traditional flasher relays, one for the flashers and one for the hazards, but it sounds like yours has been messed wih - the blue flasher unit may be one of the more modern electronic ones. You certainly need to get rid of the scotchloks anyway! I can't remember the wiring colours offhand, but there are colour wiring diagrams here on this link thanks to Peter Freeman :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

deiselden

Post by deiselden » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:51 pm

Rodger, found car had tow bar fitted at one time, got rid of scotch locks, managed to get flashers working on correct flasher unit and hazards on blue relay, just don't ask me how, thanks for link to wiring diagrams.

Dennis

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Excellent, well done! Glad it's sorted :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Jimscim
RSSOC Member

Post by Jimscim » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:49 pm

I know this is an old thread but the message is new ! I would like to thank Peter Freeman for giving up the time to supply the coloured wiring diagram. I had been struggling for an hour when I thought of looking at the forum and yes thanks to Peter the problem is now solved. Happy days. :D :D :lol:

RSSOC 3408 1979/80 Scimitar 6a . Mulberry / white .

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Nice of you to say such things - I used to do drawings as part of my job so when I gave up work it stopped me from getting bored for a while. I do like it when someone finds a mistook on the drawings - they are mistakes lurking around as I used the original drawings to make mine from.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”