Stiff gears

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

fleety

Stiff gears

Post by fleety » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi I own a 6b which was one of the very last to be built and shipped to Australia nearly 2 years ago. I have done a great deal to bring it back to a great car. I recently drove it and had difficulty getting 3rd and 4th gears....stiff. I put the car on my hoist and have played about with the selectors....still an issue.
Anyone got an idea as to what it could be....I changed the bushes only 1k ago....so don't think it would be that and installed a new clutch and bearing.
Is there an alternative gearbox...without the rod selection?
Cheers Glenn

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Stiff gears

Post by scimjim » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:00 pm

The type 9 will fit, the NZ crowd pioneered the Toyota 5 speed conversion years ago. If the clutch and bushes are good, that leaves the master and slave cylinders, pipe between the two, fluid and gearbox internals (including oil).

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

piman

Post by piman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:12 am

Hello Glen,

try spraying the bushes with some light lubricant. I am presuming that it feels stiff if you change gear without the engine running? If it is free in that situation Jim's put you on the right track. Changing the gearbox sounds to be using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Alec

1968 Triumph 2.5 P.I., Jaguar X Type estate 2.5, 1962 Jaguar MK 2, very long term restoration. 1991 Hymer 564 motorhome

fleety

Post by fleety » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:08 am

Hi thanks Jim & Alec, I had another look today.....I was short of oil which required 0.5 litre.....sprayed oil into the bushes....did more adjusting...slightly worried about noise when running the car (in gear on the hoist) in 4th. Could be a strip down job at this stage. The master cylinder is fine...new and the clutch is working fine also. I have a steel flex line from the cylinder (rather than rubber) to reduce expansion issues......so no issues there. When you say type 9what do you mean? and if I do use a Toyota 5 speed gearbox.....I guess I must need a conversion kit to match bolts holes etc. on the bell housing. The NZ folk are 4 hours away by plane.....so getting parts from NZ etc. still an issue. I understand that the gearbox is a hybrid of the Granada / reliant.....so repairing it hopefully will not be a pain (if it comes to that!)
cheers Glenn

Actually pulled gear box out of car.....oil silver in colour strange smell....oil pouring out of breather top of overdrive......looks as though the plates in the overdrive have cooked!
Does anyone know if the t9 gear box is a straight swap....will I need to modify propshaft....does the original clutch work on it....does the gear stick line up....I now see that the T9 is off a capri 2.8i etc. cheers Glenn

ChrisKent

Stiff gears

Post by ChrisKent » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:46 pm

Hello Glenn, interested to find out what the outcome was regarding your gearbox. And why did you end up selling? Ex C90 HUK is up for sale again.

Future: SE6/6A/6B
Current: Land Rover Discovery 2 Auto TD5 2004
Previous: (mid-80’s) SE6A Man/OD April Yellow RRB325R (now in car heaven)
(2000’s) Land Rover Discovery 1 Auto V8 Dual Fuel 1996.5
Others not worth mentioning.

Return to “General Technical Discussion”