Locked up engine

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Locked up engine

Post by scimjim » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:49 pm

I think the manifold will come out easily enough, it’s putting it back on square without moving the gasket that demands the dizzy is removed.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

markpin

Locked up engine

Post by markpin » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:53 pm

Decided to check it a bit more. The front steel tray between the lower chassis arms is horrible. both sides have virtually no outriggers and the connecting pieces from the centre spine are good as well, seat mounts etc. At the back the rear supports don't connect to anything any more. So the chassis is either a major welding project once the body is off or a total write off.

I also looked further into the engine, got one head off and will get the other off tomorrow. The bores I found where not as bad as I expected but the engine is still locking just as before. So its either a serious rust issue on the other bank or there must be crank / con rod / small end issues. When it locks, it locks and I couldn't see anything in the bores when I looked with my endoscope before lifting the first head off. I had to remove the head before I could get the inlet manifold clear of the dizzy as I decided that I won't lift the engine out until I decide what to do with the whole car.

Now I will have to decide if I swap the chassis with my good spare and fix everything else, sell it as it is or just put it out of its misery.

Any ideas?

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Locked up engine

Post by scimjim » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:20 pm

So the inlet manifold doesn’t clear the bulkhead with the dizzy fitted?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1400 1600 1800 Zetec ST170 powered SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre, TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR).
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

markpin

Locked up engine

Post by markpin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:48 am

It was quite tight and given time I think I could have eased it. The heater outlet on the left side of the thermostat housing was very close on the right of the dizzy while the end of the manifold was close on the left. I would have tried a bit harder but I couldn't see the point as it was only the head bolts to remove to make the job much easier which is the way I went with it. I only had a spare hour all together so I figured get it apart to look inside was the priority. it would be possible to re assemble without ever touching the dist but having a seized in one does annoy me so I would always free if off or replace it. The sump might come off if there is not obvious issues in the other bank, I now need to know why it locks, just out of principle, the I will remove the oil pump and get the dizzy a hand upward at that point. It all takes me back to my V4 corsair and the Mark 1 transits!

markpin

Locked up engine

Post by markpin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 am

Conclusion

I have never seen so much rubbish inside an engine before. Only one of the bores had any sign of rust build up which might well have been the cause of the lock, although it cleared off the bore very easily. In fact all the bores are amazingly good, once I cleared all the loose 'rubbish' that seemed to have collected inside. I think it was mostly carbon deposits that had flaked off over the years while it sat with the plugs out in a puddle!

Positive news though as it would suggest that the bottom end is still in once piece, I have been imagining major damage lower down causing the lock up. All I have to do now is decide what to do with the whole car!

Propshaft

Locked up engine

Post by Propshaft » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:45 am

Had the same problem on another make.
The car sat for two years in a barn.
Trying to start - klonck

with endoscope into the cylinder one could see, that on one cylinder near TDC the cylinder wall has marks from the rings resting a long while there.
And you could not turn over the engine at that point, but nearly turn 360.....

piston up, two days bathing the area with WD40 (here in Germany Caramba) and a brave turn over with a good spanner
the engine still runs today with no problems

cheers!
Michael

Return to “General Technical Discussion”