Windscreen Seal (SE6)


Here is the first task, the water was flowing quite freely onto passengers knees so a new windcreen rubber was sourced to help keep the elephants out. About fourty notes for the new seal and a good whole day for two clueless stumbling buffoons. Well, at least one.. me.



The old seal gave up the glass easily with the application of the stanley knife.

Round the inside in this case.









Use Plenty of washing up liquid and make sure you are fitting the seal on the glass the right way out. Some people make that mistake you know and spend hours grunting away on this huge rubber band that will just not fit (ahem).



Smooth off the leftover edges of old paint, sealers, whatever, to give the new seal a chance to do it's biz.

In this case the seal, trim and glass are all assembled off the car then fitted in the car as a unit leaving just the final trim finishers to fit.

One sentance - two hours.

Final fitting is done with a cord pulled from the seal inside the car, as per instructions.


That bottle was half full when we started, but I spill more than I drink.

(Only kidding, it makes you blind then dead you know)

When you remove the brightwork and seal from the glass, take care to place it safely on the ground so some clot can trip over it with his big feet and mangle it.



Despite obvious problems which all worked out ok in the end, the seal does what it says on the tin and moved itself into the right shape within a couple of days. The next one (Ray's Se5) will be loads easier now we know how to go about it. If you decide to have a go at one of these yourself then I would leave the windscreen sealant goo in the shop. It seems to be more applicable to older hardened problem seals and serves no discernable usefull purpose other than getting all over the bodywork, glass and workers.


Addenum - I did eventually have to put some of this sealant under the seal at the top kerbside corner.