Windscreen Fitting (Se5)


Fitting the screen to a Se5 turned out to be a little easier than the Se6a.

The screen on Rays SE5 was cracked and delaminating badly - It made the world look like one was looking through an old photo so a new(er) one was acquired and a new seal and trim was duly splashed out on. (about 45 notes).

The seal came as a strip this time as opposed to glued into a hoop and once again some serious head-scratching was called on to work out which way round it should go.


I guess we didn't really need to think too hard about replacing the seal or not - it looked truly dire and was leaking in loads.



It came out without a fight - just cut one of the glass holding lips off with a knife and the glass pushes easily out from the inside.



I guess this goes under the heading of 'Clean the aperture'

There was a nasty crack looking thing on these corners - we decided to investigate

A little sanding revealed their true colours - all eight of them. Not glass cracks at all but cracks in the licourice allsorts school of painting paint job.



Roll on the new seal - literally - we played with easing, pushing, coercing but rolling was best. Bend it back and roll it on as in the picture



Cutting to length was a time consuming exercise - with lots of test runs and the like. Eventually we marked the seal right round, with a permanent marker, stretched the seal a little and cut it with a Swiss army knife about 5mm long to make it tight.

Sadly it was not quite square but a slow application of the angle grinder (praise the angle grinder) and it was just right.



The join looks pretty darn good - and even better with the glass in.



Fitting the screen is a bit of an art and lots of wooden half pegs gallantly gave their lives.

A good bit of advice from the Yahoogroups list was make sure it is central before you fit as it is difficult to centre up later. We marked it central with a permanent marker including the seal and then fitted it bottom half first, then bend the top back a little then when the lips are all mostly in place - push down and back quite hard and it all pops in.



We struggled for quite a while with the trim but then a posting to the list about some to fit these sprung to mind.

One quick mutilation of a coat hanger later and the trim was done in about two minutes. You can also buy a tool for the job from the classic car tool suppliers.




Just in case it's not obvious in the last picture.



And here is what made it all so easy.


  A little non - setting sealant was applied round the outside where the seal hits the opening and the job was done.

Oh, we did use silicone grease on the glass to rubber as suggested on the list. Makes things slide loads easier.