Collecting the GTC

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Collecting the GTC

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:24 am

Well, here I am after the journey from Holland. Tired and a bit fed up. It goes like this...

Up at 02:45 having not slept. Down to Brizzle airport to get the 06:40 out. All that went OK. The only issue was Trainline.com screwing me for three Euros fifty for debit card charges.

Got into Shipol and wow, it's like a small City in there, never seen so many shops etc. Aircraft taxiing in was a long long way though, felt like we landed in Belgium almost.

Railway (not the train!) station was quite a walk, but after trying three platforms, eventually found the one I needed to Lelystad Centrum. 45 minutes after gettin on the train, I arrived in Lelystad. Owner picked me up for the journey to collect the car. After a chat and a coffee, he guided me to a filling station to fill with LPG, a new experience to me. On the way, I noticed that the brakes were appalling and that the exhaust manifold was blowing. PO seemed to be unconcerned. I suggester we found a Ford dealer and got some gaskets, but he was uninterested. So, off on the way.

Trying to clear the windscreen with wipers gave me an opaque screen, so had to stop and buy some wipes. I took the opportunity to setup the satnag position and pair the Bluetooth radio.

Now the Dutch major roads look like Operation Stack, only moving. I have never seen so many trucks end to end. A little irritating as I couldn't see around them well. Car drivers were like any others, tailgating and undertaking, with me following a car at a reasonable spacing at the speed limit. Must be the sight of the British plates or something.

Range on LPG is about 180 miles, so after leaving Holland into Belgium I had about 50 miles reserve. Fuel gauge drops to zero early so that adds a bit of pressure. All the way through Belgium on the trunk roads, there was not one single filling station, LPG or otherwise. Getting onto fumes by now, I came off the trunk road into a village (bit of a short cut to the E40) and pulled up at a petrol only station. Previous owner had said that there is a five litre petrol tank fitted, so tried the switch, dead cut. So, try a drop of petrol, at this point also having mislaid my card! It took fifty Cents worth and blew that back at me. The fuel filler has been blanked off, LPG or lump it. Two petrol station owners told me the nearest LPG was ten miles away on the E 40 so decided to try my luck.
Next corner there is a Lidl filling station with LPG on the board, so pulled in. Next problem, the fitting is different. Very helpful forecourt person went hunting for adapters and finally found one that worked, bless her.

So onto the E40 and exhaust sounds like the manifold is almost detached. Luckily I could have the windows wide open all the way apart from when trying to hear the satnav. Two English registered vehicles decided to try to force me off the road during this leg.

About 5PM local time, I pulled into the ferry port. Lots of stacked commercials on the approach roads. Very helpful check in guy, impressed with the car, glossed over the fact that I was booked on the 20:00 and put me on the 06:00 instead.

Two hours on the ferry, which was very crowded and we were in Dover. Limped up the road to the hotel and here I am waiting for a big taxi to arrive. Looks like a relay job, going to the joys of Clackett Lane with number one. That means at least two repeats of trivia for me to endure. There are times when I would rather just close my eyes and sleep, like now. ;-)

One plus point Though is that I have a hard top I wasn't expecting.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Re: Collecting the GTC

Post by scimjim » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:32 am

Amazed that you didn't get an LPG adaptor - Europe and UK have always had different fittings!

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:43 am

LPG adaptors - Driving from Netherlands through Belgium and France to the UK will show you three different filler nozzles. Long live the EU :w
Dutch system is the twist and click (bajonet type)
Belgian and UK the screw on
France is the click over the flat bowl.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:43 am

Errrm, Belgium is in Europe ne est ce pas?

Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 am

Two different screw sizes. Belgian one was about two inches diameter, Dutch is maybe an inch.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 am

Oh - and since you picked me up on Sunday for calling it a train station (something I've always done because I was born in the 20th century :-)) what does a pedant call a bus station? (a road station?) and a helipad or a car park? It's surely more sensible to identify the station by the mode of transport that it has rather than what it rides on?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Lukeyboy46
RSSOC Member

Post by Lukeyboy46 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:46 am

Andy's photos from Facebook!

Luke Garratt
RSSOC Forum Moderator

74' Se5a - Daily driver!

Lukeyboy46
RSSOC Member

Post by Lukeyboy46 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:47 am

scimjim wrote:Oh - and since you picked me up on Sunday for calling it a train station (something I've always done because I was born in the 20th century :-)) what does a pedant call a bus station? (a road station?) and a helipad or a car park? It's surely more sensible to identify the station by the mode of transport that it has rather than what it rides on?

:lol:

Luke Garratt
RSSOC Forum Moderator

74' Se5a - Daily driver!

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 am

Andy,

Good to hear you finally collected the GTC. Yes traffic can be very bad on Dutch roads. We are all used to see lorries all the way. A simple game is spotting at least 10 different countries of origin.
Als amazed about the hard top. It was never mentioned in any of the ads!
Glad it worked out in the end

Erik Hofman

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 am

'Tis an Omnibus Terminus of course!

petermisy
RIP

Post by petermisy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:51 am

scimjim wrote:Oh - and since you picked me up on Sunday for calling it a train station (something I've always done because I was born in the 20th century :-)) what does a pedant call a bus station? (a road station?) and a helipad or a car park? It's surely more sensible to identify the station by the mode of transport that it has rather than what it rides on?

But, it is a train station?

GTC Prototype XJW 247T
GTC No. 381 A381 GTC (was A24 EPB)
MGB GT 1971 EPE 838J (project)

2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium X 180bhp
Ford Transit Connect van
2016 Bailey Pegasus Verona Caravan

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:53 am

From your experiences it is clear to me why the APK(MOT) ran out and was not renewed. Under Dutch regulations, any LPG has to run on petrol! So I am amazed about the petrol system mods.

Erik Hofman

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:02 am

The station is on the RAILWAY not the train. That is why it is known as a railway station. Train station is a lazy yank term that I hate. ;-)

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:18 am

Still looks like a tidy car for the money!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!

Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

oldynewby

Post by oldynewby » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:07 pm

So is a car park really a "Personal Transport Repository"?

1976 GTE SE6 ORF 876P
2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Titanium X Estate

Previous classics: 1972 Sunbeam Imp Sport, 1968 Sunbeam Stiletto

Return to “Project Progress”