Lydden 12 July 2008

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Raz987

Lydden 12 July 2008

Post by Raz987 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm

Hey guys, I raced at Lydden on Saturday. What a fantastic 30th birthday :D I hope I can do that every year :twisted:

We arrived on the Friday night, after 4 hrs 45 mins of driving :roll: But as soon as we got there, someone noticed the car was leaking a lot of fuel, so we had to unload it and start work straight away. It was weeping from the fuel sender, so we had to drain 20 litres of fresh petrol before we could remove it :roll: Cleaned it up, re-sealed and re-fitted. Left overnight to dry and was all good the next morning :D

I was entered in the Invitation Race (which became the RAF Race) and the John Taylor Handicap Race. This meant two practices as well. Practice for the RAF Race went well enough, but I don't really want to have to pit to tighten my wheel nuts next time :shock: The longer studs that I fitted last week obviously hadn't seated properly, so 3 laps of Lydden sorted that, but led to wheel wobble, no brakes and horrible grinding noises :evil: The nuts where finger tight by the time I got to my paddock area... Anyway, blasted back out with about 5 minutes to go and proceeded to drive my arse off, qualifying 6th out of 10, with no threat from the 205's behind but only 0.3 secs covering 4th (Locoblade), 5th (Metro...) and 6th (me)!

In the Handicap practice thing's were reversed, with me out-qualifying the Metro & Locoblade, 14th out of 22. It was bloody hectic, with allsorts on track, from Radicals on slicks to 1.4 Metros. Difficult to get a clear lap as I went out behind some of the 205s and Metros, so got held up while we were all overtaken by faster traffic. Eventually got about 5 clear laps and actually found that I was over-driving, fastest lap on 9 of 15! Oh yeah, my new gearknob fell off as I pulled on to the track so I had to drive the whole of practice with just a bit of plastic covering the thread of the stick :roll:

The RAF race was a completely different experience to Rockingham, where I had made my way steadily through the field. This time I had a representative qualifying position and knew it would be more of a battle with 3 of us covered by 0.3 secs. The Locoblade stalled off the line so I shot past and managed to turn into the first corner in fourth place, bright green Metro close behind :D He hounded me for about 9-10 laps, with me pulling the occasional gap. This was something I hadn't experienced at Rockingham and it was a good test of my ability to drive my own race while under pressure. I was leaving him room every time he made for the inside and eventually he took the opportunity. I think I gave him too much room, inviting him to overtake, so next time... :twisted: Then the Locoblade caught up, very quickly I thought, and passed me pretty easily, but I was then able to tag on to the back of him and kept him in my sights up until the chequered flag. Qualified 6th, finished 6th :)
Oh yeah, I'd re-fitted the previous gearknob just before the race, but half way through it started to fall apart and led to a few missed gearshifts :roll: I shall henceforth be know as "Destroyer of knobs!"...

The handicap race was a lot more exciting in terms of overtaking. I actually don't remember it much, and it went incredibly quickly (12 laps). I also don't know where I finished... :roll: I didn't get a a great start and had to tuck in behind the green Metro, but as we rounded the first corner he lost the back end and span off to the inside, then outside just behind me :shock: I also had a monster lock-up going into Devils Elbow, I thought I was going to end up in the wall! Overtook plenty of slower cars, and was surprised that some of the quicker stuff wasn't diappearing down the straights as much as I expected :D I'm going to watch the onboard video and see if that jolts my memory about anything else :wink:

Superb track, great racing, good weather and birthday cake! :D

I also saw James and Richard in the morning sprint, didn't see their times but James was looking fast and smooth...
Raz :D
Last edited by Raz987 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:55 pm

"New tyres for Mr. Nutley, please..."

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:22 pm

Onboard video of the second half of the RAF Race. the first half is quite a boring video as you can't see the Metro hounding me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r9WmV9MuoI

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:37 pm

good vid Raz 8)
ive dropped you an email

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:02 pm

Got it, cheers :D
There's also a decent video on http://www.joeybrown.co.uk, go to Barkston Sprint and click on Lydden.

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

ptscim

Post by ptscim » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm

Great vid Raz :D WELL DONE! :lol: All that hard work and development on your car has certainly paid off, keep up the good work 8)

Phill.
(Leadfoot Morgan!)
RSSOC Speed championship competitor.
GTE mod prod class.
Present 5a.
Previous 2x 5a's, 6a and a competition prepared Se5.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00 pm

Cheers Phil :D
Results are out, I finished 7th in the Handicap race, out of 16! :twisted: :
http://www.semsec.org.uk/08results/12thJulyFULL.pdf

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:23 pm

Get on with your bad self, Raz...how many sigs left before you lose the Hazardous Chemical cross?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 am

3 more to go Phil :D
I'm hoping to get at least 1, maybe 2 at Mallory on 10th Aug.
2 more at Cadwell in September.
If I'm short, I can always marshall at a race for an extra sig :D
Cheers, Raz

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:52 pm

Part 1 vid of the handicap race:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgwMxEtHsE

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer