KVL SE5 Project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

GavinR
RSSOC Member

KVL SE5 Project

Post by GavinR » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:27 pm

I saw this one come up for sale in May and thought about it for a while, before contacting the owner (Mike) in early July and going to have a look - being only 30 mins from where I live, it seemed a good opportunity

It was as described, a SE5 project with a galvanised chassis and a stainless exahust, various bits missing but mechanically complete and very tired paintwork!

So I decided to buy it and went back last weekend to collect it with the help of Carrie and Peter - the car was in a double garage accessed half way along an 8ft alley, in the middle of Bristol. After a bit of manoeuvring I managed to reverse my trailer up the alley and close to the garage, we winched it on, collected some other parts that Mike had for it and headed back to my workshop

Picture from the for sale advert

The paintwork is worse the other side, and the Dunlop Composite wheels need some work.
Mike bought the car in 2004 or 2005 as a project and it ended up in his garden for 12 years - this side probably got most of the sunshine

Rear hatch glass is missing and the hinge pins are broken, but Mike did give me the frame. The bonnet hinges are also broken / missing.
I've found a replacement for rear hatch already

The interior is lacking quite a lot - I think someone started to make a grey interior as the seat is bolted to the floor and the rear side trim (above) has grey fabric glued on to it
Speedo shows 92k miles so it was used quite a lot until being taken off the road in 1994

And there's some interesting "plumbing" in the engine bay - both the top and bottom metal radiator pipes have been replaced by copper pipe soldered together to make the appropriate angles :?

Mike said he had the engine running when he first bought the car but it hadn't run for at least 10 years. There was still wiring and a switch in the engine bay, as well as a pipe from the fuel pump leading to the nose. The oil looked clean and there was water in the expansion tank.
In the workshop, I checked the fuses and found there were none except for one 13A household fuse :shock: in the position nearest the engine.
This was removed, along with all other unecessary connections until I was left with the coil hard wired to the battery side of the starter solenoid and a switch to engage the starter (the alternator was also wired to the battery side of the solenoid). With a battery connected, the engine turned over well so I put the fuel pipe in a jerry can and cranked again.
No signs of life, or even fuel so I top the top off the carb and filled the float chamber with fuel.
Tried again but still nothing and when I checked the spark there wasn't one.
The points looked good, but I cleaned them up with some fine sand paper anyway and this gave me a spark and signs of life.

So another crank with the choke flaps closed and working the throttle lever, she started and ran smoothly :)
A bit of smoke out the back, but nothing to worry about and I let the engine warm up. After 5 minutes she was idling nicely and 70 psi oil pressure :D

The engine looked original - it has a front bowl sump, dipstick in the front cover and the 40 DFA carb, but from what I can make out of the engine number it's not original to the car.
I also don't know when the galvansied chassis was done, but I found the chassis number is in the correct place and it looks correct for the age of the car - I'll find out when the documents arrive.

Current plan is to start rebuilding mechanically while I locate the missing parts - it's worth more in parts than I paid for it, and with the engine running it would seem a shame to break it.
I'll go through it more over the next few weeks / month and make a list of what bits are missing...

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

manny
RSSOC Member

KVL SE5 Project

Post by manny » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Should keep you busy over the summer\autumn\winter....years :D

Good luck and keep us posted...

Ta

Manny

scimjim
RSSOC Member

KVL SE5 Project

Post by scimjim » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Nice :D

I have a repaired hatch hinge you can have when you come up to collect the hatch, unless you want to repair yours in situ.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

1969SE5

KVL SE5 Project

Post by 1969SE5 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm

got a few SE5 bits, having stripped a donor for trim parts etc, to complete my own... obviously i have chosen the best bits, but most are serviceable if you get stuck, message me.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

GavinR
RSSOC Member

KVL SE5 Project

Post by GavinR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:56 pm

1969SE5 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm
got a few SE5 bits, having stripped a donor for trim parts etc, to complete my own... obviously i have chosen the best bits, but most are serviceable if you get stuck, message me.
Thanks - I'll send you a message over the weekend, there's a few SE5 specific parts I'm missing!
scimjim wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:50 pm
Nice :D
I have a repaired hatch hinge you can have when you come up to collect the hatch, unless you want to repair yours in situ.
Thanks to Jim for the rear hatch and various other bits and pieces, although my hatch hinge was fine when I checked so the glass must have been broken for some other reason

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

GavinR
RSSOC Member

KVL SE5 Project

Post by GavinR » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 am

Tonight I got stuck in to a few bits and pieces, some investigation and a few surprises

Firstly, the grille in front of the windscreen, covered by an ally plate...

Removed the plate, no grille... that's going to be fun to recreate!

Then I had a look at the front suspension - when we had pushed it out of the previous owner's garage on full lock, it was scrubbing one of the front tyres so I was expecting a bent wishbone mount if nothing else
Passenger side - spacer for the wheel

Wishbone mount

Driver side - washers instead of a spacer

Wishbone mount

Spot the difference :shock:
I assume one side is original Reliant and the other has had the mounts replaced...

And finally I covered the clutch slave cylinder in penetrating oil and will attack it with a sledgehammer another night!
I've got a new one from Powertrack brakes for £43.48 delivered which is very good - I bought an identical one from the same company for my rally car in 2011 and it cost £64.99

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

scimjim
RSSOC Member

KVL SE5 Project

Post by scimjim » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:56 am

GavinR wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 am
Firstly, the grille in front of the windscreen, covered by an ally plate...
I have some parts of the grille from the car I cut up - not in one piece I’m afraid, but might help in making a mould?
GavinR wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:30 am
Spot the difference
I assume one side is original Reliant and the other has had the mounts replaced...
it looks like one side is SE5 and the other is 5a :shock:

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

GavinR
RSSOC Member

KVL SE5 Project

Post by GavinR » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks Jim - I'll make both sides match

So after a couple of evenings of hammering in all directions, the slave cylinder came out in various pieces!
The sockets and threaded rod were to extract the remains from the bellhousing

I cleaned the hole with a wire brush attachment in a die grinder until the new cylinder fitted nicely and I also bought a new 33mm circlip to hold it in place.
I took the master cylinder apart - it looked fine, so just gave it a clean and put it back together with fresh brake fluid and gravity bled the clutch system

I tried it today, with the engine running and the car on stands, the clutch works well enough to turn the rear wheels - and the speedo works, showing 50mph in 4th

And I've made a start on the interior, removing the odd front seat and the partial rear seats - one hinge came off ok but the other (which already had a snapped rivet) I had to grind the nuts off
Interestingly,it is fitted with rear lap belts with straps linking the mounts to the chassis near the axle

Finally I did some repairs to the steering wheel which looked like someone had taken a hammer to it to get it off the column, and an incorrect column nut was wedged on.
After some careful thread repair with a thin hacksaw blade, and a new nut (9/16" x 28TPI, same as TR4-6, Spitfire, GT6, Herald, Lotus Elan according to the eBay listing) it all fitted nicely

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

GavinR
RSSOC Member

KVL SE5 Project

Post by GavinR » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:09 am

My next job was to drain the radiator and remove the hoses - even though the expansion tank had some water in it, all the hoses crunched when squeezed :shock:
A lot of "water" came out of the system, but it didn't smell like any antifreeze I had come across before, and wasn't blue either
Most of the hoses had a layer of rust inside them and the thermostat housing was full of water crystals
I'll take the engine out at some point and flush it through, although the inlet manifold looked ok under the thermostat

After sending off the Application for Registration Form to the DVLA four weeks ago, I received a request for further information last week
This had an email contact, so I took various pictures of the car showing the number plates and chassis number and emailed them to the DVLA
On Tuesday I had a phone call from them, asking a few more questions about whether I had any paperwork from the previous owner which had the registration number on them (I only got a receipt).
They are making other enquiries and will get back to me in a few weeks...

I've got a few events coming up so will put this project to one side for the moment

GavinR
RSSOC Member 3513
1971 SE5a
1970 SE5 Project

Return to “Project Progress”