6A auto revival

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

scimitargtc
RSSOC Member

6A auto revival

Post by scimitargtc » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:19 am

ok so not a full nut and bolt revival but its been suggested I record on here progress problems etc for my 1979 6A auto so I may have half a chance to know how I did something in the future, coming to a head when trying to remember how i'd installed my craig davies electric water pump and electric fan controller - BTW, the black/white wire i was struggling to find where it ended up is an ignition switched 12v supply and seems indeed to be the heated rear window feed but that also works so maybe a red herring - anyways the fan/controller now works. potted history swmbo bought it for our 10th wedding anniversary nearly 22 years ago, went into a garaged slumber about 11 years ago as daughters horses and family life / career got in the way. a brain haemorrhage in 2016 put paid to any work for another year and essentially lack of use has meant quite a lot of stuff didn't work properly or least as good as i feel it should so in the last 5 months or so a new alloy rad, elec fan, electronic dizzy, coil, plugs, leads, oil change, elec fuel pump, blanking plate for mech pump orifice, lightweight starter motor, found I'd already installed the bonnet release cable via the offside headlamp 'top tip', undoing some bodges from over the years - scotchloks, starter motor bolts which were actually coach bolts!, replace W spacer and to be subsequently told it's on 180 degrees about face, (all previous history files [save for the various receipts from over the years] lost due to a corporate IT change away from Lotus software (Amipro ,1-2-3 etc) over to Microsoft and as i was on long term sick leave wasn't aware that I needed to convert and save onto a new personal drive on the company server.) about to change brake fluid today, then move onto: install nos sparkrite alarm, reinstall tracker, reinstall dash with led volt and water temperature gauges, elec radio aerial, ICE, front seat cushion buttons, need to find a pcv pipe, sort why reversing lights dont work, replace auto box oil gaskets etc (thanks Andy for the bits) install stainless steel hatch handle bought from BB, find where I 'stored' the rubber 'grommet' for the rear wiper spindle, repair tonneau cover,,,, I retired at the end of 2017 at the age of 58 being a combination of having done 40 years. not enjoying my job any longer and fall out from my stroke so time is aplenty even if cash isn;t!

1979 se6a auto pas 3.0v6 (unnamed)
1998 Range Rover 4.6 v8 auto (unnamed)
2016 Nissan QashQai 1.6 Tekna CVT dci ("Quentin")
2019 Skoda Cititgo MPI SEL Greentech ("Clyde")
Space for 5 more! Money for none!!

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

6A auto revival

Post by Old and Slow » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Good to hear you got to the bottom of the black/white wiring.
Don't forget, we need photos of what you do (worth a thousand words, I'm told).
Good luck with bringing everything back to life.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

Return to “Project Progress”