GTC mirror adjustment

Discuss and exchange views and technical information about our cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

scimitar70
RSSOC Member

GTC mirror adjustment

Post by scimitar70 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:14 pm

I have what I understand is the quite rare electric adjusters that click to adjust the mirrors (from a Citroen?) rather than a smooth adjustment. I've had my heater matrix replaced and now the mirrors won't adjust from the toggle. Most of the wires to the back of the 4 way toggle are twinned but there is one single white with a brown tracer which isn't connected to anything and the wire just has a bare end on it (like a terminal has been pulled off it). The other thing I noticed is that the rocker switch underneath the toggle which selects which mirror is being adjusted has three terminals on the back but only two of them have connectors on the spade terminals.
Anyone any ideas on how to get the adjusters working again/what to do with the white/brown wire/what should be connected to the centre terminal of the rocker switch please? Logic says put a spade terminal on it and connect it to the centre of the rocker switch, but that's only my logic!!!!! I've tried connecting it to earth and live but the toggle switch still does nothing.

Too many Scimitars is always one more than you've got and several less than the missus wants!

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

GTC mirror adjustment

Post by peter freeman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:40 am

I no longer own a GTC but I also had the same mirrors as you have - they were adjusted by intermittent use of the toggle - a click at a time. The white/brown wire sounds like it is for heated mirrors. You can work out what connects to where on the toggle switch by using a PP3 battery instead of risking a short with our car battery - you might be able to work out how it is connected from https://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/~nenoggin ... wiring.pdf

ard126k

GTC mirror adjustment

Post by ard126k » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:57 pm

I think your white/brown may really be purple/brown and should go to the centre of the joystick switch. The centre terminal on the toggle should go to earth (look for a black cable lying around somewhere behind the dash?) Quite clear from Peter's brilliant diagram!
Alex.

1971 SE5 1977 SE6 1982 GTC

scimitar70
RSSOC Member

GTC mirror adjustment

Post by scimitar70 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi - Thanks for your replies. I had already worked out the likely wiring for the mirrors and connected it all up - no big flashes or fuses blown and it seemed to work fine except that the direction of the nudge on the switch didn't tie up with the deflection of the mirrors. I discovered that the twinned wires on the back of the adjuster switch had been put on the wrong terminals! I was soon able to work out which wire went where as each terminal is conveniently marked on the back of the switch with a letter denoting the appropriate wire colouring!!! Thanks Peter for the fab wiring diagram.

Too many Scimitars is always one more than you've got and several less than the missus wants!

Return to “General Technical Discussion”