SE6a Not Starting Only Turning Over

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Jc29cdo

Post by Jc29cdo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 pm

As the title says my SE6a won't start. I drove the car into my car a week ago without any issues and since then have remove the majority of the bolts which keep the body on the chassis and replaced with A4 stainless steel in preparation for the outriggers and side rail to be welded/repaired. Just note I haven't removed any earthing cables.

As I had a few hour today I thought I would take it out of the garage and give it a good clean. Key in the barrel, all the normal lights on the dash, turn the key and it just turns over..... it will not fire! I have checked the fuel lines to the carb and they have good pressure, I have removed the plugs and they spark (not great but spark non the less), I have sprayed a small amount petrol into the carbs and it does fire but only for a second before returning to just turning over.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi

i am by no means an expert here...but if the carb does run with neat fuel in the barrel- my thoughts would be to check if you are getting fuel from the carb fuel bowl through the jets...action the throttle plate and check if fuel is being squirted into the carb ...i am sure the experts that have helped me ...will be along soon...

Ta

Manny

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by GTC Ian » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Has it a mechanical or electric fuel pump? It certainly sounds as if the is no petrol getting to the carb.

White GTC no 91 (Now getting the TLC it justly deserves)
Personal mechanic to Barbara's SS1
Previous SE5a JKG 236N (R.I.P)
Members since 1984

Jc29cdo

Post by Jc29cdo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm

Its got a mechanical fuel pump just along side the power steering assembly. I did wonder if it was the carb playing up and requiring a service as I'm not sure when if ever it has been serviced. It is pumping fuel up to the carb however I am unsure how to see if the fuel is being sprayed by the jets, can I check this whilst its in place or do I need to remove it?

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:49 pm

Jc29cdo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm
...It is pumping fuel up to the carb however I am unsure how to see if the fuel is being sprayed by the jets, can I check this whilst its in place or do I need to remove it?
..pivot the flappy choke plates aside and pull on the throttle cable a few times- you should see petrol squirting down both barrels- assuming there is enough petrol in the bowl...if so then try to start it..

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:36 pm

Did you pump the throttle a couple of times (at least) to set the choke and prime the carb, before attempting to start?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Jc29cdo

Post by Jc29cdo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!
Did you pump the throttle a couple of times (at least) to set the choke and prime the carb, before attempting to start?
Yes, as standard I do this.
..pivot the flappy choke plates aside and pull on the throttle cable a few times- you should see petrol squirting down both barrels- assuming there is enough petrol in the bowl...if so then try to start it..
Had a look and cannot see any fuel moving. I will take the top half of the carb of tomorrow and see what's going on, perhaps a float issue. If there is little or no fuel in the bowl what would be the root cause of this?

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Jc29cdo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:27 pm
Thanks for the comments guys!
Yes, as standard I do this.
Had a look and cannot see any fuel moving. I will take the top half of the carb of tomorrow and see what's going on. If there is little or no fuel in the bowl what would be the root cause of this?
I would check that fuel is being delivered by disconnecting the carb fuel inlet hose and into a large glass jar ? - observing safety of course- if the jar does show fuel delivery - then maybe check the fuel filter fitted at the carb inlet? if both jar and filter tests show good - reconnect the carb fuel inlet hose and check if the carb fuel outlet hose flows into the jar....at least that will show fuel delivery is good...after that....blocked needles etc??

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 pm

Nice if you could get a spark powered strobe so you can get an idea of how big ( or not ) the spark is. I would just chuck a bit more fuel down the carb to see if it starts -- if it does then you can be fairly sure its fuel - or he lack of. You have not pulled your white/yellow wire off the starter motor solenoid have you while you were fitting SS bolts here and there.

Jc29cdo

Post by Jc29cdo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi all,

Quick update.... I took the carbs off this afternoon and gave it a good clean and a blast with some pressurised air to clean the jets. Also noticed that there was a small amount of resistance on the floats. After a bit of tinkering and reassembly it started without hesitation and probably runs better now then it has in a while.

Thanks for the advice!
Until next time......

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Good man...!!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Well done! :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

giddo
RSSOC Member

Post by giddo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:05 pm

congrats to JC29CDO.
Noticing that this thread is entitled 'not starting only turning over' may I keep to the symptom but change the target.
My GTC ( Cologne with 38DCOH and K&N filter and manual choke ) exhibits similar effects. After standing for a few days it will crank fo what seems an age but upon the first fire starts and runs smoothly given a sensible amount of choke relavent to the temperature.
Starting from warm is instant, whilst starting the same day but cooled down is within 1-2 seconds.
Is it a known trait these symptoms; it seems to me that the fuel is leaching away from the carb and it takes the mechanical pump a long time to prime the carb ?
suggestions / comments please

Mike Giddens
The frog ? I live in a village called Frogham

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:27 pm

38DGAS presumably? I’d check float heights first, it should be able to hold enough fuel in the carb to start after a week standing.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

giddo
RSSOC Member

Post by giddo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:58 am

Totally right Jim, glad you spotted my deliberate mistake :lol:
I'll read the manuals I have and check the floats. I'm a trifle in awe of taking apart such a complex instrument as a Weber

Mike Giddens
The frog ? I live in a village called Frogham

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”