Window winders

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

olihofmann

Window winders

Post by olihofmann » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 am

Hello
Just came back from the coppa d'europa and found the window winder handle is very loose.
Whitch car came they from? And the inside door handle and winder mechanismus? I never had
an issue with them in 30 Years owning that car.
Thanks for any help
Oli

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Window winders

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 am

Hi

do you mean the black plastic is loose on the handle ?
I have several spares however I think they were originally from 1960's Fords , Cortina , Zodiac etc

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Window winders

Post by David Tew » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 am

The winder handles are from a Ford Cortina MK1 and the mechanism is from the MK1/MK2 Cortina.

The problem with the handles is that the plastic knob wears against the metal stud that holds it on resulting in it becoming loose. It's a common problem but can be fixed by cutting a thin fillet of black plastic and fixing it at the back of the knob. On the photo below the left handle is as new, the right handle has been repaired:
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-lsxgY3j7dBHK9dWQ.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-lsxgY3j7dBHK9dWQ.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 721 times
The repair is unnoticeable once fitted. I'd recommend putting a small amount of silicon lubricant on the central bearing surface in either case. There are other square-drive knobs that will fit but I think the majority look out of place in a Coupe.

The winder mechanism is still quite freely available. Be aware that both sides are identical, to swap them from LH to RH just requires the regulator spring to be turned over and relocated on the other stop.

I hope this is helpful. 👍

SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲

olihofmann

Window winders

Post by olihofmann » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks for the infos, that was fast! And very helpful.
I need the complete handle.
My handles are worn at the other end where the squere shaft fits into.
That is because the window needs to much force to be moved, so i have to dismantle everything anyway.

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Window winders

Post by David Tew » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am

No problem.
You'll probably need some new handles in that case as they are made from Mazak alloy and can't easily be repaired. It will be worth checking with Steve (Coupe Racing) to see if he has any that are suitable.
I suspect your winder mechanisms are semi-seized so may just need cleaning and lubricating. They are really easy to remove so can be done on the bench. Also, make sure the glass is free to slide in the felt runner in the frame as they can tilt and jam.
:wink:

SE4B Coupe - rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲

Return to “Coupé”