Oaksey's Ti

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Re: Oaksey's Non Ti

Post by Oaksey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:21 am

On the turbo front, I've now got this to bolt on. It's sitting pretty under the Christmas tree until then

The engine will come out to do the cam belt and tensioner, water pump, gaskets, clutch etc and a proper clean as it looks like the engine has never been out the car before.

To aid the cars daily driver capability, I invested in some new headlamps, uprated bulbs and a decent wiper blade. It's made a hell of a difference in this weather. Because I live in Cheshire, I also cleaned the headlamp pods while they were off. Before v after

It was all going fine until I was driving from Sheffield to work on the rather potholed A57 and something went bang.
I love a game of spot the difference:

Whipped the wheel off and my suspicions were confirmed

So I grabbed a pair of decent wishbones from RR and set about replacing them. Of course, the NS top bolt was seized but a few evenings of heating and spraying various solutions down there, it begrudgingly came free. The OS one came straight out as it'd been greased. The wishbone had actually been replaced with a later type so it must've failed a few owners ago and they were either too tight to do both or couldn't get the OS bolt out.
I took the opportunity to change the brake discs as they were getting a bit corroded despite only being new a few years ago. I changed the brake hoses too which highlighted a slight issue with one of the calipers

I found a suitable replacement in my spares and everything went together again. The new instrument cluster, complete with working trip counter and non bouncy speedo is a godsend - it's already ticked over 2000 miles in this time :)

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016 and 2017 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Corky
RSSOC Member

Re: Oaksey's Non Ti

Post by Corky » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:48 pm

I see that the old cluster has the "swoakes" speedo reset mod' :lol:

Nice shiny turbo ! Is it a standard one ?

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Non Ti

Post by Oaksey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:33 pm

This was the one that gave him the idea to do the Sabres :lol:

The turbo is a refurbed Turbo Technics one :)
Last edited by Oaksey on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josh Oakes
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
Previous- Coupe S6,

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Non Ti

Post by Oaksey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 am

Bit of a thread revival this one. Before it gets too late and I completely forget everything, I'd better update this.

So in short, E90 is still my daily for a few reasons including insurance companies not playing ball with JHR.
Since the last update, E90 has had the following (plus some more stuff that I've forgotten no doubt)

The seats were looking a little used so were recoloured again

When we broke the DET at Anglesey, E90 was called upon.

Unfortunately it only managed practice before it died on track and had to get the tow of shame back to the paddock. Once it started again, it had the rather odd symptoms of driving okay in a straight line and when turning left, but died if you turned right. It made the drive back from Anglesey interesting. I went through all the ignition related electrical connections and replaced the fuel pump and the problem went away.
I put it up on a ramp and steam cleaned the whole underside, then dinitrolled the chassis. Yes, of course it's galv, but that doesn't mean it's invincible.
Then came some replacement front springs as the originals were a little soggy

Then came the task of sorting the turbo as apparently my mum had become tired of dusting the shiny replacement that was sitting in the house since November. It made sense to go through the whole engine at the same time.
As the car was my daily, time was of the essence. For this reason, I got hold of another engine from RR for mocking up and trial fitting purposes when it came to the exhaust and turbo side of the engine so there were no nasty and time consuming surprises.
I had a spare exhaust manifold so the plan was to prepare and use that to further save time. That didn't pan out as was unable to drill out the original studs and handed the job over to an engineer. It came back and I fitted the new studs to be greeted with one being superbly squiffy. Look at the one in the foreground then the one in the background.

So that manifold was scrap and I had to reuse the original one. The studs came out nicely and the thread were good but there was a bit of a bow in the surface so that got machined flat
The cylinder head was stripped, cleaned, de coked, pressure tested and reassembled with new stem seals etc
The bearings were all checked and were all good so they remained. The block just received a coat of black paint.
The water pump, timing belt and tensioner were replaced. Believe it or not, all three items were the original items, as was the clutch. It wasn't too bad, considering.

All fuel lines were replaced (again) and the chassis and armature around the engine bay were steam cleaned and stone chipped.
The rubber cooling hoses were replaced with ones from RPW, as was the solid pipe that runs below the rad and the OS filler. The chassis mounted pipes were okay after being blasted and painted. The thermostat and its housing were also replaced with NOS genuine Reliant items.
I put in another set of NOS spark plugs too as it seemed rude not too.
The engine mounts were replaced as a matter of course.

Now, the gearbox. Or gearboxes. The car originally had a mk1 Nissan box and while nothing was wrong with it, I wanted the more precise change of a mk2 box. I bought one from Jim and steam cleaned it but unfortunately when it came to fitting the engine and box back into the car, I ran into a snag.

The box was too long. I hadn't noticed that it was in fact an S13 gearbox which is a lot longer than the S12 boxes. So with that, out it all came again. I decided to use an untested mk2 gearbox that was sitting in the garage. In it went again and this time it actually fitted.
I just had the issue of a few crucial missing parts which hold the gear lever in. As the Curborough deadline was pretty close at that point, I decided it'd be reet.

So we were due to go to Curbs on the Saturday morning for the Autotest and as of the Tuesday evening, E90 was still without an engine and gearbox. And an MOT.

MOT was booked for the Thursday and I cracked on. It got an MOT and its shakedown run was the auto test. It was pretty drama free and the gearstick only came out once, which did mean a little bit of oil flying out the hole onto the interior, me, a very unhappy Phil A and just about every other visible part of the car.
20170819_101602.jpg
20170819_101602.jpg (307.79 KiB) Viewed 963 times
Once back from Curbs, I set about properly finishing off everything. The captive studs on the headlamp panel were heavily corroded so I replaced them with stainless ones. I took the nosecone off again and replaced a plethora of headlamp connections as it seemed all the engine work had disturbed something and the lights were a little temperamental. All was good after new connections and earths.
I also got a hard top and painted it white

Gave the wheels a proper clean and applied a sealant to help keep them that way

And got a NOS gear knob from RPW

And I think we're about up to date. When down in London the other day, I stopped for some fuel and the car failed to start again. A bump start solved it and it started okay when next called upon. Then it wouldn't. So the starter solenoid has given up the ghost. I've just got to work out some time to get it sorted.

Josh Oakes
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
Previous- Coupe S6,

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Ti

Post by scimjim » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 am

Apologies, I never measured the box either :oops: I take it you’re keeping it for a spare (does the DET have an S13 box)?

Snotty’s Starter solenoid played up after not being used for a while - I managed to loosen it off and spray some silicon grease into it and it’s been fine ever since.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Ti

Post by Oaksey » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:00 pm

You can have it back if you like, The DET uses a Mk2 S12 box.

I'll give that a go but I've got another starter coming from Paul M

Josh Oakes
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
Previous- Coupe S6,

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Ti

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 pm

I may have an ET starter if your stuck Josh

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Ti

Post by Oaksey » Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Another thread revival in an attempt to keep progress up to date.

After its tantrums in October, the starter motor continued to work until a few weeks ago when it gave up completely. I bought a spare from Mr Mad in November so cleaned it up and swapped it over during a lunch break.

Then on to some proper jobs. One thing that I've always wondered about was the condition of the trailing arms. Given how original the car is generally, I doubted they had ever been replaced and I know for a fact that 3 of its owners have driven it hard on track so I figured it was probably best to sort them out. I bought a pair of arms from Jim K and set about blasting, strengthening and painting them. I also finished some of the welding that Reliant missed when making them :mrgreen:
Another round of my favourite game, spot the difference
20180511_172144.jpg
20180511_172144.jpg (483.33 KiB) Viewed 418 times
While the arms were off, I took the opportunity to replace the diff with one that doesn't leak. Another quick fire round of spot the difference
20180509_183728.jpg
20180509_183728.jpg (428.84 KiB) Viewed 418 times
I found the diff much easier to do than I thought after reading things on the forum. I didn't have to go anywhere near that pesky front cradle mount :)
I also replaced both rear brake pipes on the trailing arms, as well as flexis, half nuts and pipes going to the 3 way union, and the 3 way union. It looks a fair bit better under there now
20180512_113715.jpg
20180512_113715.jpg (384.75 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Just the ARB to finish as I hit a snag with the helicons and BMW drop links. I hope to finish it off at lunch tomorrow.

I then set about making the road noise a bit better. So for this, I lined the rear wheel arches, the whole lengths of the floors and the body tub above and around the diff and trailing arms with bitumen sound deadening. I did this on the outside of the tub because in my head, its better to absorb the energy before it ever gets to the tub, rather than try and absorb energy once its already in the tub. And also stones etc that hit it hit a softer squishy surface rather than the hard fibreglass. I seam sealed the edges to help stop water and grime getting between the layers and I have to say, it has made a difference :)

Josh Oakes
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
Previous- Coupe S6,

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Ti

Post by BigBobPilot » Mon May 14, 2018 11:26 pm

On your 1st spot the difference, one trailing arm is RH, the other LH.

2nd one, are the diffs different ratios?

I can't spot anything else, do I win a prize?

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Ti

Post by Oaksey » Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Fraid not Ben, you missed the key item in both photos; one is suitable for use in Cheshire and one isn't :lol:
And the diffs are the same ratio, just one is leak free.

The rear ARB and droplinks are back on now and it drives really nicely.

I'm half putting E90 up for sale. It's still my daily and there's nothing wrong with it but I have my eye on something and it means making room. So here's a quick run down of spec. This isn't everything listed as there's quite a few specs and details I'm not willing to post on the public forum but any interested parties can contact me and I'll give you the full spec
Engine:
Refurbished turbo
Engine apart 1 year ago, crank, all shells, rings and bores good. Head was decoked, pressure tested and skimmed
All cooling hoses and clips replaced
New stainless steel exhaust system
New engine mounts
New (and relocated) fuel pump

Transmission:
Later gearbox fitted for improved gearshift
New clutch 1 year ago
New gearbox mount
Diff replaced a week ago

Suspension and brakes:
New discs and pads fitted 1 year ago
New shoes and fitting kit fitted 1 week ago
New flexi pipes all round and new rear solid pipes
Front upper wishbones replaced 1 year ago
New ball joints, steering gaiters, all ARB links and track rod ends fitted 1 year ago
Trailing arms replaced 1 week ago

General:
Full grey leather seats in very good condition
Grey powder coated roll bar
Door hinge pins replaced
Boot hinges replaced
Good condition window frames
Electric windows (NS regulator new)
NOS instrument set fitted (still have the original too)
New Continental tyres fitted 1 year ago
NOS gear knob fitted this year
New headlamp switch
All fuel lines replaced recently
New speedo cable
Mohair hood and white hardtop

This car is also fully prepared for sprinting with all the required tow points, safety stickers, legal tyres and identified battery terminal. It was sprinted twice last year and proved extremely competitive (see Harewood and Anglesey 2017 threads)

More recent photos to follow

Josh Oakes
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
Previous- Coupe S6,

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Ti

Post by Oaksey » Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Car now sold. The new owner will probably make themselves known at some point :)

Josh Oakes
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
Previous- Coupe S6,

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Oaksey's Ti

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sun May 20, 2018 6:59 pm

Blimey Josh, you don’t mess around haha