My Hello post

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

giddo
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by giddo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Recently joined RSSOC - convict No 5332 I am Mike Giddens, living in Fordingbridge Hampshire.
Over the past few months have been scheming how to get back to open top motoring after a break of 37 years. I was at the classic LeMans of 2010 and met a load of Scimitarites who seemed like a jolly bunch, while there I saw a GTC overtake a Ferrari at Arnage ( to be fair the Ferrari driver had just got out to close the filler cap ).

Previous 'real' cars were two MG TCs, a TR2, a TR4 and a Spitfire (not quite sure about that last).
Have a '33 Riley Nine awaiting rebuild in the garage while the run-about is a Passat estate.

The fun car would have to be British but I couldn't stand a rust bucket, it would need a muscular engine for which you can get spares, a good rigid chassis, proper suspension ie wishbones & coil springs, have a cosy hood, decent heater ( or the better half would not be happy) good lights, luggage space ---- the answers obvious ---- a GTC and I'm lucky enough to have just got one.

Looking forward to being part of the Scimitar fraternity.

Mike Giddens
The frog ? I live in a village called Frogham

1969SE5
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by 1969SE5 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:44 pm

Welcome Mike, and a great introduction. :D

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”

philhoward
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by philhoward » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:28 am

Welcome Mike :D

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

greeny
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by greeny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:17 am

Welcome Mike which GTC did you get? Reg and last 3 of the chassis please. :D

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

scimjim
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by scimjim » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:48 am

Welcome Mike :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

manny
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by manny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:37 am

giddo wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:28 pm
Recently joined RSSOC - convict No 5332...

like it ! Welcome sir

GTE Progress#
Ti Progress#
1600 Progress#
GTC Progress#
Tr7 V8 1982 #Bajaj Legend NXT ( Vespa)#bicycle 2010

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the car! :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Hope you don't mind me filling in a bit Mike.
Mike is a long standing friend for many years. He had runs in my GTE and more recent year my GTC and enjoyed driving it.....so I feel a bit responsible for him becoming a Scimitar prisoner. - convict 5332 :)
I was unable to go with him to view the car (third one in the mag adverts) Sadly the GTC has had one or two problems and I am in Devon while he is in Hampshire.
1. Steering sometimes going hard to turn was - temporarily? - cured by topping up the empty power steering fluid tank :shock: (now constantly checking for possible leak from anywhere on the power steering - in past rack was replaced by a recon unit)
2. Clutch pedal has to be pushed hard into carpet to effect gear-change in 1st and second.......I have advised how to push back slave piston and adjust rod length (and possibility of swelling master to slave plastic pipe.
A plea from me, so he can get to enjoy the new purchase,....is there anyone in his area that has a pit (or 4 poster) that could help with getting under and the quick job of adjusting the clutch rod??.....hopefully that is all the problem is....ie clutch drag, clutch not releasing fully. Mike like me is ageing and not quite the spring chicken of MG/TR days. He has to do underneath work lying on the ground with car jacked up.
Viv White may remember him from when we were all at Le Mans and we were pitched just across the path....my folding caravan, Mike+Marilyn and Julia (Morgan +8) all with tents......probably more memorable would be my 5 gallon box of Inches Zyder vrum Devon :?
Over to you Scimaritains. :wink:

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

greeny
RSSOC Member

My Hello post

Post by greeny » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:20 pm

Dennis Nicholas wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:45 pm
Hope you don't mind me filling in a bit Mike.
Mike is a long standing friend for many years. He had runs in my GTE and more recent year my GTC and enjoyed driving it.....so I feel a bit responsible for him becoming a Scimitar prisoner. - convict 5332 :)
I was unable to go with him to view the car (third one in the mag adverts) Sadly the GTC has had one or two problems and I am in Devon while he is in Hampshire.
1. Steering sometimes going hard to turn was - temporarily? - cured by topping up the empty power steering fluid tank :shock: (now constantly checking for possible leak from anywhere on the power steering - in past rack was replaced by a recon unit)
2. Clutch pedal has to be pushed hard into carpet to effect gear-change in 1st and second.......I have advised how to push back slave piston and adjust rod length (and possibility of swelling master to slave plastic pipe.
A plea from me, so he can get to enjoy the new purchase,....is there anyone in his area that has a pit (or 4 poster) that could help with getting under and the quick job of adjusting the clutch rod??.....hopefully that is all the problem is....ie clutch drag, clutch not releasing fully. Mike like me is ageing and not quite the spring chicken of MG/TR days. He has to do underneath work lying on the ground with car jacked up.
Viv White may remember him from when we were all at Le Mans and we were pitched just across the path....my folding caravan, Mike+Marilyn and Julia (Morgan +8) all with tents......probably more memorable would be my 5 gallon box of Inches Zyder vrum Devon :?
Over to you Scimaritains. :wink:

Dennis
Ah ha thanks Dennis I remember the convasation now.
Will take a look at the car in slice.

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

Return to “Introductions”