FORUM UPGRADE - 26 JULY 2017 - COMPLETED

Problems logging in or posting pictures?
Can't register?
Not received your activation email?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:02 pm

As a result of the recent Photobucket debacle I have brought forward an upgrade of the forum software to the latest and greatest version. This is planned to happen on Wednesday 26 July 2017, starting at 09:00 and possibly lasting as long as 24 hours.

This version brings with it much improved handling of attachments such as images, enabling us to host these locally and reducing the reliance on third-party hosting sites such as Photobucket in the future. Please see the Photobucket Announcement for my plans to rescue at least some of the historic posts that have Photobucket links.

There are, of course, many other changes in this new version and I will list those later by editing this announcement.

The admins and moderators have been testing the new version for several days and feel that it is stable enough to release to you all.

Please start a normal discussion thread if you wish to discuss this; this announcement will be locked

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

Ian
RSSOC Member

Re: FORUM UPGRADE - 26 JULY 2017

Post by Ian » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 am

Changes in the new version of the forum.

1. The first change, and the one that prompted the upgrade at this time, is that the process to attach images to posts is much improved. You can now drag and drop images into the editor field as well as add them by browsing as before. There is now no need to resize images prior to upload; this is taken care of automatically.

2. The second is that there will no longer be a separate mobile style. The new system is designed around a single responsive style that adapts according to the size and type of device that you are using to access the site.

3. The third major change is that the so-called Quick Reply editor now has the Full Editor functionallity. This, also, is presented differently depending on the device in use.

4. The category headings are now collapsible/expandable by means of a -/+ icon at the right hand end of their title bar. The settings are remembered for each user in a cookie.

5. There are now scroll to top and scroll to bottom buttons available at the bottom right of the screen.

6. A temporary (don't ask how long!) site header has been created to be compatible with the new system.

7. The Google Custom Search has proved to be a problem with this upgrade and has been removed until a solution can be found.

8. [EDIT] One more! The social networking links at the top right of the header are no more. Each post contains links to share the topic on Facebook and Twitter. Other networks may be available if requested.

I know that change is sometimes difficult to get to grips with but I believe that this new system will be of benefit overall. There will, inevitably, be some problems discovered in the early days in spite of the efforts of the admins and moderators to test it; we all do things in slightly different ways. I'll try my best to address issues in a timely manner and the admins and moderators will help support you in getting used to the differences.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:07 pm

The forum upgrade has been completed and the site is now available again.

I still have some issues to resolve but I thought it better to let you have access in case you were getting withdrawal symptoms :lol:

The simplified header has caused problems with its appearance on the Shop and Wiki but I will deal with that shortly.

Please post in the Forum Issues and News with any problems you encounter with the updated site.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453

Return to “Forum Issues & News”