Green Cipher now in Essex

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

DJC777
RSSOC Member

Green Cipher now in Essex

Post by DJC777 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Many thanks to Dave Speed for his thorough explanation of his (now ex) Stevens Cipher yesterday. It's now at it's new home in North Essex having done 213 miles back from Manchester with no problems, nothing falling off and so far it's all good. 50/55MPH down the motorway was slightly scary with all the trucks overtaking but the A1 wasn’t so bad, definitely a country road car. The car averaged 60mpg so confirms Tony Stevens design criteria that is would be cheap to run.

First impressions are all good. The original build quality is definitely in the low end kit car league, but it gives it a bit of character. When the car was originally designed it's power and braking were probably fine against the Cortina, Marina and Mini's of the day. Today it's still a fun little car, but disc front brakes, some more power and probably a 5 speed box would make it a lot more usable. I'll park that thought for now as I'm not sure a converted car would it still be a Cipher and I don't want to turn it into different car.

In the meantime I'll be working my way through Speedy's snagging list and probably adding a few more of my own. The steering is heavier than I expected, a feature or a fault ? and the gearbox laygear is too noisy for my liking, so a little job for the winter. My knowledge of the Reliant engine/gearbox is close to zero, so I'll no doubt be posting for some help shortly.

Dave

1984 Stevens Cipher
1970 SE5 under full restoration
1971 SE5A in storage

Coco La Blanc

Re: Green Cipher now in Essex

Post by Coco La Blanc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Congrats Dave, very impressed with the styling of the Cipher (ie. very Elan-ish). Shame about the engine (just my personal opinion) but it looked very nice.
Regards,
Viv

DJC777
RSSOC Member

Post by DJC777 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 pm

I think Tony Stephens reasons for using the Reliant package made a lot of sense at the time but I share your view about the engine. The car looks good and it is fun to drive but the engine gearbox combination I don't find particularly appealing. However the early road tests seemed to like it so perhaps it'll grow on me.

Dave

1984 Stevens Cipher
1970 SE5 under full restoration
1971 SE5A in storage

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy_man » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 pm

a kitten was very "chuckable" in its day, so a cipher should be better, as you say 40bhp wont beak many records, but 60 bhp is easily acheived,

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:19 pm

DJC777 wrote:When the car was originally designed it's power and braking were probably fine against the Cortina, Marina and Mini's of the day.
wow - really? :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”