GTE SE6A Import Difficulties

Discussions relating to registration issues

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

expat2000

GTE SE6A Import Difficulties

Post by expat2000 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi all

Some of you may know that I am trying to import my 1977 GTE SE6A to Norway but that the Norwegian authorities need some more information before they will accept the car and register it.

They have now sent me a letter stating that they require the following infomation, some of which I have already from the vehicle specs in the manual:

Noise level: Not in manual
Emissions: Not stated in manual as carb is tamperproof (Earlier model was 3.25% CO at idle)
Brake specification and performance:
Dual line (from manual)
Disc front Diam ?
Drum rear Diam ?
Steering column intrusion during collision: ??

Total gross train weight: I am sure this is in the owners handbook but can't find it
Maximum permissable axle loads: ??
Allowed trailer weight: again I think this is in the owners handbook
Max speed ?
Wheel size: 6"x14" Offset 0.104” out
Length: 4430mm (from manual)
Width: 1710mm (from maual)
Weight: 1306kg (from manual)

So my question to those who have imported to the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, France etc is have any of you had to provide this information and if so where did you get it from. The authorities here say ask the manufacturer, which is, a bit difficult. :D

I suspect they will not only want the information but in some form or source which is 'official'.

Any help would be really useful.

Thanks

Stuart

Living in Oslo without my 1977 SE6A GTE, car was successfully imported and registered then sold as couldn't afford to run it. Now driving a 1998 Audi A4 Estate diesel.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: GTE SE6A Import Difficulties

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Stuart, Surprised you've got a question mark against the brake sizes, as they're in the manual (the Reliant one anyway). For the Se6a Lockheed brakes the discs are 267mm and the drums are 254mm.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks for that, the manual I have is the Brooklands Books Reliant Scimitar Owners Workshop Manual, couldn't see any sizes on brakes in there. Where about are the specs?

Stuart

Living in Oslo without my 1977 SE6A GTE, car was successfully imported and registered then sold as couldn't afford to run it. Now driving a 1998 Audi A4 Estate diesel.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Those figures came from the genuine Reliant Workshop manual (reprints available from the Club shop), having said that I'm surprised it's not in the Brooklands one? - no, after a quick flick through I think you're right, it's not in the Brooklands one as far as I can see.....

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:51 pm

And we thought France was bad ...
We don't have to provide all that stuff, they like to have all different weight figures but accept anything you tell them.
There are dozens of boxes to fill in but you can ignore most of them, the most important is the "fiscal horsepower" so they can collect all the tax.
So, sorry, can't help much but all the figures should be available except I think noise level which wouldn't have been measured in 1977?
SE6/a registrar Graeme Conway should be able to help.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 pm

DARK STAR wrote:And we thought France was bad ...
We don't have to provide all that stuff, they like to have all different weight figures but accept anything you tell them.
There are dozens of boxes to fill in but you can ignore most of them, the most important is the "fiscal horsepower" so they can collect all the tax.
So, sorry, can't help much but all the figures should be available except I think noise level which wouldn't have been measured in 1977?
SE6/a registrar Graeme Conway should be able to help.
Bizarrely all this information is normally used to calculate the import tax as well as recorded on the v5 (equivalent) so it can be used against you in the MOT. They're not keen on modifications to say the least. However the tax is a fixed amount as the car is a classic, more than 30 years old. I wouldn't mind so much but I have paid all the duties already but can't get my Norwegian plates on the car until this is resolved.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Try contacting Alf Torp for help - he imported a Coupe.
Peter
alftorp@mac.com

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:13 pm

peter freeman wrote:Try contacting Alf Torp for help - he imported a Coupe.
Peter
alftorp@mac.com
Thanks for the tip, I pm'ed him last week but he hasn't got back to me. I am in touch with three other scim owners in Norway but none others seem to have had the jobsworth that was doing my inspection. I have most of the stats now but am still waiting for more details of what information they want for the brakes and steering intrusion.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:20 pm

Unless anyone has a copy of the test documentation (or the regs of the time) then it will be tricky to give a figure apart from saying that it complied at the time of manufacture to the relevant requirement (probably a number like 76/EEC/12345). There are ways of calculating braking performance but i'm blowed if I know what they are...its the sort of thing (i.e. maximum retardation, I assume) that used to be listed in Autocar road tests (I recall the MGB was one of the first cars to record a braking performance of 1g) - stopping distance might be in one of those old road tests; would that be sufficient?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:06 pm

philhoward wrote:its the sort of thing (i.e. maximum retardation, I assume) that used to be listed in Autocar road tests (I recall the MGB was one of the first cars to record a braking performance of 1g) - stopping distance might be in one of those old road tests; would that be sufficient?
Yes it was - Here's an exerpt from an Autocar test from 1981 (Se6b, but effectively the same car except for the engine) - is that any help?
Brake-data.jpg

....Roger

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:26 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
philhoward wrote:its the sort of thing (i.e. maximum retardation, I assume) that used to be listed in Autocar road tests (I recall the MGB was one of the first cars to record a braking performance of 1g) - stopping distance might be in one of those old road tests; would that be sufficient?
Yes it was - Here's an exerpt from an Autocar test from 1981 (Se6b, but effectively the same car except for the engine) - is that any help?
Brake-data.jpg
That well be what sort of information they want, I'll admit I am getting quite frustrated as I cannot get a straight answer as to what information they require.It's supposed to be that if a car is registered in other parts of europe then it is sufficient. If I could find what standards were in place in the UK when the SE6A was approved the at least I could quote that at them. I have tried both the DVLA (no use whatsoever) and the VCA (again no use) but past them I do not know who to ask.

Stuart

expat2000

Post by expat2000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:29 am

This is what I have got so far:

Capacity: 2994cc (handbook and V5C)
Power: 135hp @ 5500rpm (handbook)
Torque: 172 lbs ft @ 3000rpm (handbook)
Noise level: ??
Emissions: 3.25 CO % at idle (service manual)
Brake specification: Independent front and rear hydraulic with failed system warning device
Disc front 267mm (handbook)
Drum rear 254mm (handbook)
Brake performance: ??
Steering Intrusion: ??

Axle loads: ??
Max speed 120mph (handbook)
Wheel size: 6”x14” Offset 0.105” out (sporting reliants website)
Length: 4432mm (handbook)
Width: 1708mm (handbook)
Wheelbase: 2629mm (handbook)
Track – front: 1480mm (handbook)
Rear: 1426mm (handbook)
Kerb Weight: 1253kg (spec sheet)
Gross weight: 1678kg (handbook)
Allowed trailer weight: 1016kg (handbook)

hezekiel

Post by hezekiel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 am

I thought Finland was bad enough but not quite like that... Is there an E-approval sticker in the engine bay? There are standards related to braking system, seat and seatbelt fixing and stuff like that and it shows that the car complies to those. The regulations were quite loose in the 70's and obviously the car won't comply to anything that was invented after its production (like Euro-NCAP rating, engine emission class etc.)

SE5a automatic '75
Mr. Heikki Salovaara, location 61 deg 51' N / 23 deg 09' E

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 am

In France front / rear axle loads are shown on the Controle Technique (MoT) certificate,
if it's not the case in Norway I'll ask Scimitar France members ...

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:09 am

Norway at its best :cry: :w

As far as I know, Alf Torp only imported his SS1 (ex Peter F) to Norway, with a SVA type approval. So not a normal/full registration (at least that is what I made of it). His GT still is on UK plates as far as I know.
You could contact Kjetil Asland. He is a contact person for the NSK for Scimitars. What I understood from him, is most owners (Scim and non-Scim) go the SVA route, because it saves a lot of time and problems.

For importing a Scimitar to the Netherlands, we do not have any problems at all. Our DVLA eq., the RDW, has all the Scimitar details on file. Most models were imported officially in the days. So the RDW only has to check their own files. Most testing stations are friendly towards classic cars. So over here we are very lucky.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

Return to “Registering a Scimitar”