HANS Device Suggestions

For discussion about any other Motorsport Discipline (Drag Racing, etc).

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

HANS Device Suggestions

Post by AllingtonGT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Started looking for a HANS device for next season. Can I ask for input, suggestions and thoughts from those that have used them over the past year or so?

I know Craig wears his in bed, but I'm not sure that counts and don't ask how I know. Any other suggestions and insight in to what to look for and the experience of when you're actually loading yourself in to the car and making sure you've got everything properly fastened etc would be good insight. It seems the entry level is about £250 - £300 and then there is a step up to £500+ and then another beyond that, but it's not clear what the advantages of these would be beyond bragging rights in the Pits.....

Craig did look at group buy last year and maybe with the new compies this might be something that I could contact a few companies about, if sufficient numbers are interested?

Your thoughts?

swoakes
RSSOC Member

HANS Device Suggestions

Post by swoakes » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:04 pm

We bought the entry level HANS and have not had a problem in use but thankfully not tested in anger and hopefully never will be :wink:

Are you just paying for the label on the more expensive ones.... :?:

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

HANS Device Suggestions

Post by BigBobPilot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Generally you pay for less weight. The cheaper ones are heavier. Bigger cross sectional areas and more material to deal with the less exotict materials and manufacturing processes. For exmple, mine has an injection moulded base substrate, rather than carbon fibre.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build, see: "551 a race oddity"
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series, Champion in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

HANS Device Suggestions

Post by AllingtonGT » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Thanks Steve and Ben. I think we should hope to never test them and leave our trust in the manufacturers having proven their claims in the lab.

I'm sure the materials used in the more expensive versions will be lighter, stronger and probably better when you hit something on the Mulsanne Straight. For our use, even in the most extreme and unfortunate circumstances, I can't see there is a need to spend beyond the entry level.

Maybe someone has used a more expensive type? The entry level ones weigh about 750 grams, so would the expensive ones weigh much less? Mr Louch would confirm I could save at least 10 times that much by not having a bacon sandwich before every start.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

HANS Device Suggestions

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi Geoff,
Yes wear mine 24/7 ;-)

All the basic ones are moulded nylon and prices vary from 220ish to 350/400. All do same job, just buy for 'fit' bit like buying a new helmet, try a few on and see which sits best on your shoulders.
I have a HANS branded version and whilst it's the large neck size (17" and over) it fits fine when on but the two 'arms ' that protrude forwards and down over the shoulders and chest, taper so it's a little tighter over the neck initially. I believe other makes such as Shroth are easier to get on, but no big deal.

All feel alien and odd/cumbersome but when strapped in and skid lid on they are fine, never an issue in use, just odd when getting strapped in.

More expensive versions drop into two categories, lower angle (laid down seating position for single seater etc) or adjustable for angle and then those which are lighter in weight made from go faster carbon fibre. The difference in weight between nylon and carbon is equal to that of a Loton park bacon sarnie, so pays ya money takes your choice!!

Only other alternative is the Simpson Device, which doenst fit over the shoulders, trapped under the seat harness, but you wear it like a chest harness. More comfortable alledegedly but dearer currently.

As for group buys, they were 320-350 for the basic hans when I looked into It, prices have fallen way below for singles with the economies of scale as they are mandated. I'm sure demon tweaks or Hawke Motorsport would do a deal on 15-20units though

Craig

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Return to “Other Motorsport Discussion”