This doesn't look too good!!

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: This doesn't look too good!!

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 10, 2011 12:36 am

philhoward wrote:More like that of the SS1, IIRC?
Yes, I often think that if you consider the central "core" of the SS1 chassis, then it really has a very strong resemblance to the Elan. In the case of the Elan though, that's all you've got, the occupants are basically just sitting in a GRP tub, whereas in the SS1 you've got the extra outriggers and side rails, A and B pillars, plus the rear end structure inside the boot. Not to mention the armatures as well.

Of course in the case of a racing Elan, the above wouldn't be true, because it would have to have a comprehensive cage structure (though the boot presumably falls outside this, hence the damage).

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

*JP*

Post by *JP* » Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 am

The Elan has strong steel reinforcement at the bottom of the cill to create the official jacking points,you can (or could) jack up anywhere along this to raise the front, rear, or all of one side of the car.Very strong originally,but weakened by the passage of time,like a Scimitar's outriggers... :)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue May 10, 2011 1:19 am

*JP* wrote:Very strong originally,but weakened by the passage of time,like a Scimitar's outriggers... :)
Not if they're galvanised, as many SS1s are (including mine :D ) - and don't forget it was SS1s specifically that I was refering to. Also, is the Elan jacking point section actually joined to the rest of the chassis?

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

*JP*

Post by *JP* » Tue May 10, 2011 9:58 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
*JP* wrote:Very strong originally,but weakened by the passage of time,like a Scimitar's outriggers... :)
Not if they're galvanised, as many SS1s are (including mine :D ) - and don't forget it was SS1s specifically that I was refering to. Also, is the Elan jacking point section actually joined to the rest of the chassis?
True,Roger,I was merely thinking of my 6A ones. :) On the Elan it's just glassed in metal reinforcement and I don't believe any wise owner would jack here now, due of course to possible corrosion of the steel as well as the grp becoming more brittle with time.The Elan design was always fundamentally different in that neither the lightweight backbone chassis nor the grp body were individually that strong but their combined rigidity was excellent for the time.
John.

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue May 10, 2011 1:05 pm

demonbluedays wrote:im guessing as all the cars involved are GRP (am i right on that one?) the bodyshell took a lot of the impact, if it were metal we'd be looking at matchbox crashed versions of the cars!
The Seven is an original one so just a GRP nose and ally panels, have a look here
http://www.snappyracers.com/album/07051 ... index.html
Scimitar nowhere near as bad as I expected, shouldn't need a re-shell just a donor, but got to be suspension and front corner chassis damage surely.. Elan doesn't look any better tho :(

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Wed May 11, 2011 9:05 am

turbster

sent you a pm

Is we sideways yet...

Taggers

Post by Taggers » Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 am

Daft question, but who gets to pay for all that?

1979 SE6A

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed May 11, 2011 1:10 pm

It's just bad luck. :( Unless you have a large enough budget to afford on-track insurance (not cheap AFAIK, so most people probably haven't got it, and it only covers your own car of course) then you just have to put your hands in your pocket to pay for for your own damage. :(

....Roger

Taggers

Post by Taggers » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 pm

I figured that, but it must sting when you are essentially taken out by someone having an accident all on their own. Must have been a fine discussion back at the paddock.

1979 SE6A

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed May 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Yep.....

A similar thing happened to my brother when he was racing - someone spun out in front, and at the last moment the kerb flicked them back into the pack. He was left half-way up the armco with three corners pointing in different directions - and not a happy bunny :evil:

....Roger

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Wed May 11, 2011 2:29 pm

Yeah, like roger says, you've got to accept it could happen or pay a lot for insurance.... only punishment would be points on comp licence or fines if found to be reckless... still doesn't help the innocent party though..

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

GTE crash at Brands Hatch CSCC meet

Post by ScimitarMatt » Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Morning all,

I had an email this morning from a professional photographer who's been following the thread on the orange 5a that wiped out the Elan recently at Brands Hatch and he wanted me to pass on the link to his pictures of the accident. His email is pasted below for all to see

cheers, Matt
Date: 12 May 2011 09:07:55 AM GMT+01:00
To: press.officer@rssoc.co.uk
Subject: Brands accident

Morning, hope you don't mind the direct email (wasn't sure who to send it to) I am the photographer for the CSCC and cover all the UK events.

I don't like to register on a forum just to make one post with a link to my site - bad form I think. I have read that a few of the guys have asked about the accident at Brands on Saturday, I have a sequence of shots on my site here

http://david-stallard.smugmug.com/Petro ... 04_t9GvP8D

Please feel free to post the link up or let the relevant parties know - your decision of course. Thank you for your time.

.DAVID.

--
http://david-stallard.smugmug.com/

http://www.scimitargt.co.uk
RSSOC Coupe Registrar & Press Officer
coupe.registrar@rssoc.co.uk

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

'64 SE4, '70 SE4b,'75 SE5a, & Yvonnes SS1 Ti

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: GTE crash at Brands Hatch CSCC meet

Post by philhoward » Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 pm

I think that was one of the (many) links already on the thread (somewhere in page 2 IIRC) - but fair play to David. Like his professional approach.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “General Circuit Racing Chat”