Silverstone and Cadwell 2009

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

turbster
RSSOC Member

Silverstone and Cadwell 2009

Post by turbster » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:31 pm

Been a bit busy over the last month, so here's what happened in my final two races of the season;

Silverstone
There had been rain overnight which hadn't dried completely.... Normally this is a good thing for me, but it was very greasy and getting sideways through the kink on the pit straight was a bit of a worry :? As cars were spinning off and having moments all over the place made worse by there being 45 cars on track I found some space, put in a quick lap and headed back to the garage. It dried a little towards the end, and most of the guys still on circuit recorded their best times leaving me a bit concerned..

11th out of the 45, so not too bad :)

Very wet for the start and I took advantage of a spinning Elan and some cautious drivers into Copse to emerge on the tail of the leaders in 5th, I held station for a couple of laps and kept the front runners pace, however as the rain stopped they started to pull away, mainly as they could get the power down onto the straight now and the big 500hp plus V8's left me standing on the national straight :roll:

Pit stop went ok and back into the action, had a dice with an Elan 26R, he passed me on the straight and then cut back way too early hitting my front tyre, which was interesting at over 100mph :shock: he then spun as I pressured him around the corners where I was a fair bit quicker. Pretty lonely until a few laps from the end when my favorite Lotus 7 appeared in my mirrors, one lap to go and he was right behind me on the national straight and there was a back marker in front, he went to the inside and I knew the only chance was to go around the outside, so that's what I did and we were three abreast into the braking zone :shock: I locked the fronts and the deep gravel loomed large..... Nowhere near enough speed had been knocked off and I decided to just get off the brakes and do the wall off death around the outside with one wheel on the edge...Yes, pulled it off and he's on my outside I can still do it.. an over ambitious stab on the loud pedal saw my spin and stall for good measure :oops: Of course the car had a Back to the future moment and wouldn't start with cars and potential places passing on the inside, after around 3 weeks it started and I took the flag still in 5th and the 7 was actually lapping me which made me feel a bit of a dick :lol: Not a bad result though, first in class with Ben and Danny 7th and 2nd in class.

Cadwell
After a good day at Curborough which had highlighted how poor my starts had become I was determined to get a good one here.
Qualifying at my favorite circuit went well and I was 4th of 29 with my fastest ever lap, a TVR Griffith, the 7 and TR5 were in front.
A glance under the bonnet after dinner revealed the tensioning pulley for the alternator belt had lost its outer race and the belt was running on the shaft, after a quick bodge...er, temporary repair :wink: I was not too confident it would last the race, so decided it was all out attack and if I was having my first DNF I was going out on a high :twisted:
The Griff started from the back after getting to the grid late so I had a space next to me on the grid...

The lights went out and the start was perfect right up until I had to brake as the TR5's wasn't so hot... This allowed an Elan to get up my inside thanks to the gap left by the Griff, a TR6 tried to go around my outside, we ran three abreast into coppice and I just edged slightly right to squeeze the TR, this worked but it also gave the Elan an open door to get around the outside... The front two pulled out a gap while this was going on and the red mist came down big time, the Elan was quick on the straight, but as we got to Charlies the long sweeping right hander I carried a lot more speed and closed the gap as we got to the Goose neck, he took a tight defensive entry to cover the line, knowing I had a good front end I didn't bother too much with the middle pedal and tucked in around the outside taking a lot of curb and a bit of grass too... At this point the bottom of the hill was coming up fast and I got on the brakes a little later than him and with the back end helping me to turn in I closed the door and claimed 3rd :D :D
After the first lap excitement I put in some good consistent laps in and had a good pit stop too.... But on the 13th lap the battery voltage warning came on, I knew the inevitable had happened and I pulled off at the mountain and went to the pits still with a big smile on my face, that's what makes it all worth while 8) The smile became bigger as a friend told me what the commentator had said re my 1st lap overtake, ' Paul Turnbull has just gone around the outside of the Elan at the goose neck to take 3rd, amazing, I've never seen that done in all my time commentating here! '

So, we've had our last race together and sadly Orange 5 is now for sale... My quest to move to the very front of the grid would require a seriously expensive and potentially unreliable Essex engine, so I've decide to go for something with a V8, if you can't beat em and all that :wink:

Thanks for the support, and I hope I've done my bit for the Marque over the last couple of years...

Paul.

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

ptscim

Post by ptscim » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:25 pm

Well done Paul..! Its been fascinating following your experiences on the track....you have done the mark proud!! :D
Good luck with the new venture. 8)
Phill.

Phill.
(Leadfoot Morgan!)
RSSOC Speed championship competitor.
GTE mod prod class.
Present 5a.
Previous 2x 5a's, 6a and a competition prepared Se5.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:02 pm

well done Tango, done bloody well considering you were driving a breadvan :wink:
i hope your Scim goes to a good home as its a beautifully built and prepped example of a racecar, and great example of a scimitar too.
sure we can get you a place at the RSSOC Curborough sprint next year in your new car mate.
good luck with your new steed, any plans for the colour yet?

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Cheers guys,

Thought about carrying on the orange theme, but decided to go back to white with white wheels, suits the car quite well too I think??

Curborough would be good mate...

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:44 pm

sure it will be up to your very high standards anyway Paul, am hoping to get to a few more CSCC meets next year to cheer you guys on.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Return to “Events”