Oulton Park 13 June 2009

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Oulton Park 13 June 2009

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:03 pm

Im off to Oulton Park tomorrow to cheer on Paul 'Tango' Turnbull in his GTE and Ben 'BigBobPilot' Gough and Iain 'Danny' Daniels in their Marcos 'psuedo Scimitar' in the Swinging 60's circuit race. Practice in the morning and then a 40min race (driver changes for dual driven cars) in the afternoon. Hopefully have some pics and video if the weathers ok.

Good luck guys 8)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

shrewsbury_streetracer

Post by shrewsbury_streetracer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:46 pm

I'm thinking of going to watch too. Which class of the SSixties do they race in?? There seems to be 2 lots.

2007 & 2008 RSSOC Sprint Champion

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:55 pm

they are in 2nd batch, practice approx 10.45 for 1/2hr then 40 min race about 245pm
give me a bell if you want a lift, just me and Finn going.
CNH

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 pm

they are in 2nd batch, practice approx 10.45 for 1/2hr then 40 min race about 245pm
give me a bell if you want a lift, just me and Finn going.
CNH

shrewsbury_streetracer

Post by shrewsbury_streetracer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:24 pm

Well at a hot! Oulton there were mixed fortunes; the guys will probably have a report soon.
As i sat watching i couldn't help but think i fancy having a go at that :twisted: ! Very entertaining racing :D .

PT in action!
[img][img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb83 ... cer/PT.jpg[/img][/img]

Ben..sorry didn't get chance to get a pic. Missed to catch up with you Paul but well done mate, you kept that elan behind you. He was right up your chuff for the first few laps but then you got the better of him 8) ! That bloody TR is fast though eh??

2007 & 2008 RSSOC Sprint Champion

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Good to see you Chris, and Craig. I didn't give anybody a chance to take a picture of the Marcos in action - as I fell off into a gravel trap on the firtst lap. It was most frustrating and embarassing. It followed a very difficult qualifying too. Well done to Paul though...

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Chris, didn't know you were there mate, yeah the TR5 and Mark are just in another league!! I didn't see much of anyone really as I was either in the garage at the other end of the paddock or chasing Jenson around some grass banking while attempting to watch a race :lol:

My qualifying was only 5 laps as I heard a banging noise coming from the engine department while coming out of the last corner on the straight and thought it best to check it out.. It was only an exhaust gasket blowing due to the manifold bolts coming loose so easily sorted. The results came out and I wasn't too optimistic as I just couldn't get my head around the double apex Druids corner and hadn't had enough time to get it right...6th, I'll take that 8)

To the race, the lights went out and I really concentrated on getting a good start, 4th by the first corner...mission accomplished!

The front three consisting of the TR5, TVR Griff and a Lotus 7 pulled away leaving me with the close attentions of an Elan, I was quicker in most places but the two uphill sections just caught me off cam in 3rd and he was catching me negating any time I'd pulled out. One of the uphills wasn't an overtaking spot really so that wasn't a problem, but the other leads onto the straight so I had to block for the full length of the straight, the 6th place E-Type took us both by surprise one lap and moved into 4th :roll: .. I eventually pulled out some breathing space, only to miss a gear out of the chicane, luckily the pit window was open so it seemed like a good time to pit. No problems with the pit stop and back out with a clear track for most of the remainder, I'd re-taken 4th with a better pit stop and subsequent lap times than the E-Type so that's where I finished...
And yes Chris it was bloody hot, I got out of the car and had to sit down straight away before I fell down... more ventilation and a drinks bottle needed I think :wink:

Gutted for Ben and Danny as they had problems in Qualifying and then an early exit from the race, they'll be back next time tho 8)

Results so far:

Snetterton Q5, R7
Anglesey Q4, R4
Mallory Q3, R2
Oulton Q6, R4

Silverstone next on the 1st August, then Cadwell in September...

Paul.

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Paul was flying, the old GTE was going really well, only lacking straightline speed against the pocket rockets.
Ben and Danny were unlucky, but all survived to live another day.

Paul
didnt realise jenson was there, thought you were on ya own mate?

will try and make Silverstone as well for a gander and cheer on Tango and 'The Blues Brothers' 8) :lol:

Did you realise the commentator reffered to you as 'Tango' also? :lol:

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:Did you realise the commentator reffered to you as 'Tango' also? :lol:
Good to get a mention, always ask my dad what the commentator said and he's always never heard anything :lol:

Hopefully Jenson will be at Silverstone too, be good to see you there mate..

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

Return to “Events”