Page 1 of 2

Croft 16/17 May 2009

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 pm
by Raz987
Well, this is going to be a long one, please feel free to skim-read...

I finished work at lunchtime on Friday and reassembled the car. Tried to start it, but no joy. It was coughing and backfiring but nothing more. Two of my mates turned up to help out and between us we spent the next 3 hours chasing our tails, as we were getting a spark and fuel but no go. Re-timed the distributor about 6 times... It still failed to start so we stuck it on the trailer and me and Emma left for Darlington at 9pm. Dropped the car off at Croft at 1:15am before heading to my mates house to sleep.

Got up at 6:30am to go to the circuit and sign on. Tried the car again but no joy. Emma drove to Northallerton to buy me some new spark plugs. Spent the rest of the day attempting everything we could think of to get it running, and then the spark dissapeared altogether... so I missed my first race obviously. I also had minimal voltage at the fuel pump, so one of the other racers wired in a permanent 12V feed to the pumps. After a phone call to my mate MattP, he offered to drive some bits up to me if required. I asked Chris Eades if I could borrow an ECU, dizzy and coil to try on my car, and he promptly removed them from his racer and MattP went to collect them. I met Matt in Manchester for the exchange and got back to Darlington at 8:30pm. Had a good nights sleep...

On Sunday morning I fitted all the new parts in turn but still no joy. Chris E talked me through some diagnostics and eventually the spark came back! But it still wasn't trying to fire. Chris then said something about timing the dizzy and it triggered a thought and lo and behold it barked into life as if nothing had ever been wrong!

I had one hour until my race so went to get scrutineered and see if I could start from the back of the grid (as I hadn't qualified). Passed scrutineering ok but on the drive back to the paddock I noticed the car was pulling badly to the left when braking. I drove it around the paddock with my foot on the brakes and the engine overheated and dumped it's coolant all over the tarmac... The fan wiring had come disconnected somehow. This was 5 minutes before my race. We refilled with water and pushed it to the assembly area. I went out for the sighting lap and the needle on the temp guage was rising. I turned it off while I waited for the green flag and on that lap the temp went through the roof so I decided to stick it straight in the pitlane rather than form up on the grid. I was already being waved frantically into the pits as I was dropping coolant.

So, I managed 1 & 1/2 laps in the whole weekend. I'm not massively dissapointed as I think it was a fantastic achievement to even get the car to do that, considering the state it was in just two weeks ago!
Roll on Mallory Park in July.
Raz :D

P.S. Huge thanks to Chris Eades (shrewsbury_streetracer) for technical helpline and parts supply :D You are a star!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:06 pm
by guardsbrigade
Blimey mate,11 out of 10 for effort !. :wink:
The nose looks good !

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 pm
by CNHSS1
good work Raz 8) shame about the result though, too much in too short a time i guess.
if you need to return stuff to Mr Eades, drop 'em by work during the day and i can drop off if that helps?

'Active' nose looks good mate, although be aware that they are very effective at cutting the airflow from under the car (to improve handling), be well worth giving it some testing at speed/under load for a few laps before your next race.

you still want a light bonnet? one thats spoken for comes out of the mould on tuesday.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:29 pm
by totty
The car did look very tidy, I've been fancying one myself since I first saw that nose.

Also glad to hear your so optimistic.
When you pulled into the pits I was tempted to have a walk round and ask what went wrong, but then I remembered my last minimoto track day - managed 2 laps followed by an hour of being repeatedly asked what was wrong with it, I didn't appreciate it.

Did you get to watch much of the racing ? I was quite impressed with the mx5's, very close racing !

Drop me a PM next time your up at Croft, and if you need any labourers while your there then I'm sure a few of us from the Teesside noggin would be able to help out.


Totty

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:30 pm
by Raz987
guardsbrigade wrote:Blimey mate,11 out of 10 for effort !. :wink:
The nose looks good !
Thanks mate, I'd have to agree with 11/10, I think I deserve it :D
CNHSS1 wrote:good work Raz 8) shame about the result though, too much in too short a time i guess.
if you need to return stuff to Mr Eades, drop 'em by work during the day and i can drop off if that helps?

'Active' nose looks good mate, although be aware that they are very effective at cutting the airflow from under the car (to improve handling), be well worth giving it some testing at speed/under load for a few laps before your next race.

you still want a light bonnet? one thats spoken for comes out of the mould on tuesday.
I agree mate, too much to do and not enough time to do it :? I knew that air supply to the rad might be a problem but just ran out of time to sort it. With a decent box duct and a working fan :roll: I think it'll be fine.

I would like to do some testing, totally skint now though...
Cheers, Raz :D

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:40 pm
by CNHSS1
Raz987 wrote:[I agree mate, too much to do and not enough time to do it :? I knew that air supply to the rad might be a problem but just ran out of time to sort it. With a decent box duct and a working fan :roll: I think it'll be fine.

I would like to do some testing, totally skint now though...
Cheers, Raz :D
junk the std fan (if you havent already) its only a battery drainer and noise creator, does very little in terms of moving wind thru the rad!
Stew B always told me to duct the air and seal it really well as it will take the path of least resistance or escape thru the gaps, certainly works well on my nose duct to intercooler, the IC is chilly after a run.
i just need to sort out the rear rad as now have no under car air flow so rear rads not cooling well enough :roll:

as for testing, is the car still MOT'd? run up the '54 should be a good test :wink:

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 pm
by Nick_F
Good effort Raz - and at least you didn't knock the splitter off... As Craig says, if you're still road legal then test the thing on the road - what else are you paying VED for?

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:48 pm
by Raz987
totty wrote:Did you get to watch much of the racing ? I was quite impressed with the mx5's, very close racing !
I think I watched two races in the whole weekend, too busy staring at my engine bay... :lol:
Did you see the two Focus' in the NSSCC race? Those things were crazy fast, completely wasting a Lambo Gallardo...
You should have come over to say hi anyway, I wouldn't have minded.
I would like to go back to Croft with a known-serviceable car and have a bloody good go at the NSSCC races, my car is perfect for their championship and I've been invited to guest there later in the year to make up for my abismal weekend :D

Craig, I run an S14 elec fan on the rad, it worked on Wednesday night but with all the work at the weekend something must have been dislodged.
Car not road legal in any way, shape or form :lol: I'm going to ask if I can test on the runway here... Also looking at a test session at Mallory Park, as that's my next race anyway.

I have an A4 page list of things to sort first :lol:

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:05 pm
by CNHSS1
were the two Focus's (Focii?) the Andrew Gallagher spaceframe cars? him ans Charlie somebody? proper impressive bits of kit 8) although not much Focus left

let me know if ya need anything

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:21 pm
by turbster
You deserved more for the effort you put in mate, I looked at 'my laps' on Saturday, saw you were missing from the race and presumed you'd had problems... It'll come together, I know my focus has gone from being obsessed with going faster to making the car bullet proof since going racing.

You'll be sorted for Mallory :wink:

Paul.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:26 pm
by shrewsbury_streetracer
Phew Raz,..bit of an epic weekend!
You'll be glad to go back to work for a rest! Yet again I admire your determination mate. What date is Mallory? I would like to come and watch.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:00 pm
by Raz987
shrewsbury_streetracer wrote:Phew Raz,..bit of an epic weekend!
You'll be glad to go back to work for a rest!
You're not wrong mate, I'm sick of the sight of the motor club and have vowed to Emma that I won't be going there for at least a week. We'll see how long that lasts...

Mallory is 5th July :D

When do you need your bits back?

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:19 pm
by Nick
Raz,

Respect :shock:

for what it is worth I had trouble getting mine to start after the engine re-build. It boiled down to a "dry" contact at the fuel pump, presumably from standing over the winter. Even worse, it was intermitent. The pump "buzz" when turned on was missing.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:20 pm
by philhoward
Given the way you were engrossed in wishbone bolts and new nosecones I thought it best not to hassle you with talk of dashboards......looks like you've got it sorted for now?

Stunningly cracking effort to get it there and running, matey..well done!

Take a couple of days off, relax, think about, write stuff down then start attacking it Wednesday (only joking...)

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:29 pm
by totty
Raz987 wrote:
totty wrote:Did you get to watch much of the racing ? I was quite impressed with the mx5's, very close racing !
I think I watched two races in the whole weekend, too busy staring at my engine bay... :lol:
Did you see the two Focus' in the NSSCC race? Those things were crazy fast, completely wasting a Lambo Gallardo...
You should have come over to say hi anyway, I wouldn't have minded.
I would like to go back to Croft with a known-serviceable car and have a bloody good go at the NSSCC races, my car is perfect for their championship and I've been invited to guest there later in the year to make up for my abismal weekend :D
Only one focus on Sunday, according to the commentary the other had gone to Knock Hill. It was seriously impressive though !
I liked how mixed the NSSCC races were, you just don't normally get to see such different cars up against each other.