Croft 27/28 September 2008

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Raz987

Croft 27/28 September 2008

Post by Raz987 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Hi guys,
I was entered in the double-header race at Croft at the weekend, competing in the DDMC Northern Saloons & Sports Car Championship.
I managed 4 laps of practice on Saturday morning, was just getting to grips with the circuit when I clipped the left kerb at the chicane and lost all engine power. Pulled to the left of the track and tried to restart, engine would turn over but no start :(

So, got recovered to the paddock and on popping the bonnet I could see that one of the boost pipes had knocked the plug off the coil :roll: So I refitted the plug, moved the boost pipe further away and went for lunch.... forgetting to actually check that the car would now start :evil: I found I had qualified 26th out of 29. So I got back from lunch just as the tannoy sounded for us to assemble for the race. Jumped in the car, no start!!! We were getting no power at the coil. The other RAF racers descend on the car with multimeters and screwdrivers while I get suited and booted. Sitting in the car ready to go I felt like a (rather pissed off) proffesional driver waiting for my "team" to fix the car :lol: My race started without me so we pushed the car back into my paddock space and it then decided it was going to start!!!

So I legged it up to race control and begged and pleaded to start from the back of the grid in the other NSSCC race (one for slick-shod saloons and all Kit Cars). They agreed, so I started that race. I was behind the Locoblade that I beat last time out at Cadwell so I was confident I could keep up with the traffic. I made a blinding start, passing 5 cars by the first corner (including a TVR Tuscan!). I narrowly missed a stalled Mondeo Touring Car, in fact I never even saw him, it was just pure fluke that I moved over!! (Will post video later). I got re-passed by the TVR coming out of the chicane and then, as I flew into the Jim Clark Esses, I clipped the left kerb and lost all power again :evil: I don't wish to repeat my exact words at that time... :roll:

SO, recovered again (fourth time this season :roll: ). We looked over the car again and I did some internet searching to try to locate the fault, but the car finally decided it wanted to play again, which was annoying as we hadn't actually found anything wrong! Thoroughly pissed off I removed the ECU & left the car for the night.

Come Sunday, refitted the ECU and checked the car would start. Went for a track walk with one of our experienced racers and he gave me loads of hints and tips for Croft. Got back to the car and they tannoyed for us to assemble for our race, so I tried to start the car and... no start! :evil: :x :( We managed to get it started but again, no idea why. So I lined up on the grid with trepidation...

I didn't get a good start, burying the throttle and spinning up the wheels for 50 yards! Slotted in in front of the 2 other RAF racers (Metro & 205) and watched the carnage in front as cars were going into Hawthorn chicane 3 or 4 wide! As we came around Hawthorn a green Fiesta hit a yellow Metro and the Metro span off, hitting the tyre wall. This caused the Fiesta to miss the next chicane and come back onto the track behind me. I was kepping him behind all the way along through Tower and the Jim Clark Esses, and then I thought "What am I doing? I'm only after a sig on my licence and he's just punted someone off, so do I really want to get involved in a scrap?" After one lap the red flag came out due to the position of the Metro and we all re-formed on the grid. I made a better start this time and made up a place. Had a fairly quiet first lap and then just settled down to some consistent driving, trying to stay off the kerbs! I gapped the Metro quiet easily and had a lonely race, it felt like a test session! I took the chequered flag 3rd from last and then proceeded to ramp every kerb I could on the slowdown lap :lol: Yet the car wouldn't cut out...

So, not the best racing weekend I've had this season, but I've got 6 sigs on my licence so I'm no longer a novice! 8)
Next race is the Birkett 6-hour relay as Silverstone, where it looks like I might be starting the race for the RAF team... :twisted:
Raz

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

totty

Post by totty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:06 pm

The metros impact with the tyrewall looked quite nasty. I was watching from the previous corner thinking they're not going to get through there 4 wide !

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Well done on getting rid of your novice cross Raz. I've still got one more signature to go, I'm out at Castle Coombe on 4th Oct...

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Well done Raz, bit of an up and down weekend but you got the result mate :D

Feels good eh??

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:14 pm

totty wrote:The metros impact with the tyrewall looked quite nasty. I was watching from the previous corner thinking they're not going to get through there 4 wide !
Why didn't you come and introduce yourself? :D
Sorry I didn't put on much of a show, I was driving just to complete the race and stay out of trouble, when I'd like to have at least been chasing the Fiesta and Rover 200 :twisted:
The impact did look fairly hard, I saw them have a touch so was already moving to the right when they collided again and the Metro span off. Croft is not good for 4 abreast!

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:53 am

Saturday race:

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

totty

Post by totty » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Raz987 wrote:
totty wrote:The metros impact with the tyrewall looked quite nasty. I was watching from the previous corner thinking they're not going to get through there 4 wide !
Why didn't you come and introduce yourself? :D
Sorry I didn't put on much of a show, I was driving just to complete the race and stay out of trouble, when I'd like to have at least been chasing the Fiesta and Rover 200 :twisted:
The impact did look fairly hard, I saw them have a touch so was already moving to the right when they collided again and the Metro span off. Croft is not good for 4 abreast!
I did consider it but with the races being timed so well there wasn't really any breaks in the action (apart from after the red flags) to leave track side and go wonder through the paddock.
I always keep an eye on this section of the forum so I'll probably come along to watch whenever someone's competing in the North East.

Return to “Events”