Cadwell Park 6/7 September 2008

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, nickkeyser

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Cadwell Park 6/7 September 2008

Post by BigBobPilot » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Well what a day at Cadwell Park. Saturday was torrential rain travelling up there, but Raz had a race on the Saturday, which I'm sure he'll write about. However, after a damp start to Sunday, it was a glorious sunny day - ideal for some good racing. My first race was the Swinging 60's race - 40 minutes with a pit-stop. Paul Turnbull had qualified 4th (SE5 GTE), John Leslie was in 18th (Sabre six) with me on the row behind in 19th (SE5a GTE), with 0.3 seconds separating our qualifying times. Iain Daniels (Danny) & Neil Condliffe (Sabre Six) had qualified in last position after problems with a misfire. From the start, John got away from me, despite my efforts to hang onto the back of him, and within a few laps, I could see Danny coming up behind me (make up your own innuendo here). I was chasing a Singer Chamois (Hillman Imp variation) and did manage to sneak past, but he got back past me on the next lap. On the same lap Danny lost sight of an MG Midget, and let it past, he then the Midget started making a move on me as I was trying to make a move on the Singer again. I went for the inside line at the end of the fast Park straight and left my braking (in hindsight) far too late, resulting in a 180 degree spin - with Danny heading straight for me, fortunately I ran off the track backwards and Danny took avoiding action and went through on the inside. After starting the car (having stalled it) and waiting for a gap, I got back on the track. I carried on overdriving and was very ragged. Having given myself a talking to, I calmed down and started to drive more smoothly, I went in for an early pit stop, which I cocked-up , taking too much time, and was out again, I didn't have too much more action, as I was too far behind the next placed car to catch up, and no-one was catching me up, so it was a matter of letting faster cars through. I finished in 17th place (out of 29 qualifiers) and 2 laps down from the leaders, with the Singer I'd been chasing finishing in 13th and John in 12th, The spin and the slow pit-stop really cost me. Lessons were hopefully learned for the future! Unfortunately, Danny had to withdraw as the crank front oil seal had come out and oil was coming out of the engine under braking - this meant Neil didn't get a drive. Paul had a really good result, which I'm sure he will write about.

I was also entered in a 15 minute Sports v's Saloon race, which Paul Turnbull and Raz (SS1 Turbo) were also in. Neither Paul or I saw Raz at all at qualifying, so we thought he must have had a problem on Saturday and gone home. When we got the results, I had qualified 0.13 seconds behind him, so he was there! We started off side by side on the grid. At the start, Raz was stuck behind a Camero, that made a really bad start, but then went off like a scalded cat, this allowed my to get ahead. Raz was behind me, but not causing me too much bother for a couple of laps, then he suddenly seemed to be going quicker, it was clear that he was quicker than me on the straights, as he was making ground up on me, then was getting right in behind me and I had to start taking defensive lines. He had two Locoblades (a Locost with a Mega blade motorbike engine) hustling him, 1 got past him, but then he regained his place. We both did our fastest lap on lap 4, with Raz 0.045 seconds quicker (even though he was behind me). Eventually with the leaders coming up to lap us, he had dragged along side me on the long Park straight and had the inside line for the corner, this hadn't bothered me, as I'd out braked him on the previous 2 laps and still got the line into the corner. However, he had got pretty much level with me this time and braked later than he had previously, I also braked a bit late and washed out wide. Looking back at it, I should have taken the defensive inside line and forced him to drive around the outside - more lessons learnt! As I went wide, the leaders in Caterhams came around to lap us, I let them through, but also let through the Locoblades we'd been racing - thinking they were part of the leading pack - meaning I dropped three places in quick succession. This was about two thirds into the race, so I was busy trying to catch Raz and the Locoblade in the last 2 or 3 laps. It was a really good close race and I gave Raz a lot more trouble than he was expecting from an old breadvan - but he did beat me, so fair play to Raz. Paul only finished 1 place ahead of Raz after being forced off the track by a V8 Westfield, but no damage was done and he completed the race unscathed other than a sore wrist (from his spin off). Raz and I stopped to chat afterwards, and he had a bad case of the paddock-shakes, so I think the adrenaline had been flowing, but we'd both really enjoyed the tussle. I did keep closing the door on him and taking defensive lines, so he had to work away at getting past and it was getting hard work to stay ahead as he just had more grunt available. It was really good racing, no bumping anywhere although Raz did say he came close to hitting me when I took a tight line into the hairpin as he tried to sneak up the inside. Shame about the result, but there we go... Paul was 13th, Raz 14th and I was 17th out of 27 starters (nearly half the field Westfield / Caterhamss or other Lotus 7 a-likes).

No photo's from me I'm afraid, but Raz (or at least Emma) may well come up trumps for that.

It was a really great day's racing, I'm 5 signatures down on my licence now - as is Raz. Paul got his 6th signature, and with that was able to remove his novice cross (racing drivers L-plates).

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:37 pm

News just in from the Stewards....

all silver cars with drivers initials LH will be disqaulified, given a £100 million fine, made to sit on the naughty step with a Dunces cap on and then sent to bed without supper

FIA

(F******g Incompetent A*******s)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Sorry Ben couldnt resist.

Sounds like an awesome days motorsport, glad to see the Ol' Scimitars were going well as always.
Huge respect to all you guys, doing a great job 8)

will get there and see the next race hopefully
CNH

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Well done all, sounds good, hope I manage to get the time to see you one of these days!

cheers,

...Roger

ps Craig, I always thought the "F" in "FIA" stood for "Ferrari"! :evil:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:53 pm

i think F'in FIA is quite appropriate Roger :lol:
Ferrari International Assistance?

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Argghhh let's not get onto the LH subject, I've just finished throwing things around the living room accompanied by lots of choice language :twisted: :evil: Mr FIA we've not won because both our drivers ran out of talent and couldn't get near the proper racer when the going got tough... Is there any way we can give them a penalty for blatantly legitimate overtake?? Seeing as though it's you, of course we can, how many seconds do you want sir....

What a complete joke, I hate Ferrari with a passion, and also hate what they've done to Kimi, having him whinging on demand to a Ferrari script, I've lost so much respect for him :x
Last edited by turbster on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
www.gtevolution.co.uk
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:10 pm

Back to Cadwell..

The track for Swinging Sixties qualifying was a bit damp in places, but a dry line quickly appeared. I struggled to get a traffic free lap, but managed a 1:47.632 which was just under 5 seconds from pole but good enough for 4th on the grid of 29.

The TR5 and Lotus 7 in 1st and 2nd were untouchable to be honest, they're bloody quick and the class of the field and have been all year, so I was realistically looking at 3rd being my aim, so I was well placed.

The start went well and I held 4th...

The TR6 in front was dropping lots of fuel making it a bit difficult to follow closely, I left too much of a gap and the Lotus 7 behind me got a run on me down the park straight, as he got well along side me I gave him the corner and dropped to 5th. I had a good race with him and we kept a safe distance from Exxon Valdese in front!!! The TR6 finally pulled off and we upped the pace until the 7 pitted, this gave me chance to put a few faster laps in as I was quicker than the 7 in the corners but pretty much equal on the straights. After a good few laps I was up to 2nd when the other 7 had pitted.

I decided to pit as I was coming up to some traffic, and it went smoothly other than me having to shout at my dad to shut the bloody door :roll:

I rejoined in 2nd and set about putting some good laps in. The fast 7 closed on me down the straight and got on my inside on the 120 mph pit straight, we went side by side into coppice, this right hander is taken in fourth with a lift, so we're looking at a minimum 90mph and as we were halfway through the corner he lifted and lost the front end moving over to me :shock: I decided to be in control of the accident and took to the grass which was interesting at that speed...

After a few jumps and sideways moments I rejoined with a 12 second loss, it was a shame as I wanted to run with him to get some idea where I was losing out, but it's racing and these things happen...

So back on the track and in 3rd, I had a pretty uneventful last few laps and finished there with only 4 cars on the lead lap, just over 30 seconds behind the 7, a minute behind the winning TR5 and 50 seconds ahead of the Lotus Elan 26R in 4th.

A good race, a podium and my 5th upgrade signature of the required 6 :D

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
www.gtevolution.co.uk
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 pm

The sports and saloons race qualifying went well and I got a good clear lap in to record a 1:45.687, this put me in a 11th in front of a Caterham R400 in 12th :shock: Raz and Ben were seperated by a 10th with a 1:53.703 and 1:53.839 putting them in 15th and 16th respectively and setting up their epic battle 8)

My idea was to cruise around and make sure I get that signature...

I lost a positon of the start to a Tiger Avon, he was as fast as me on the straights but braked sooo early it was unbelivable... This wound me up, as it was so bad I was nearly hitting him at every corner and if I got along side he was just pushing me on to the grass :evil:

A fast Camaro was behind us and had a fair bit more grunt on the straight so I let him through with a plan to follow him through when he got the Tiger...

He got past on the straight and I tried to follow only to have the door closed followed by a big brake test at the end of the straight, this carried on for a couple of laps with the red mist decending more and more every time he did it......

Right I'll go round the outside then....we approached the end of the park straight and I dummied right then went down the outside...he squeezed me on to the grass and I just couldn't slow down enough so span onto the grass... During the 360 I depressed the clutch and got the revs up so when I stopped I could got back on without losing a place...OK now probably best to calm down and cruise home as I'd lost 20 odd seconds on the Tiger.

I did this and finished 13th with Raz in 14th and Ben in 17th after being mugged by the 2 Locoblades..

Well that's the end of my first season, I have the 6 signatures needed to upgrade and lose the novice cross.

Swinging Sixties results as follows:

Brands Hatch: Q13, DNS

Mallory Park: Q8, P8

Anglesey: Q3, P4

Oulton Park: Q13, P8

Cadwell: Q4, P3

My ambitious goal for the season was to get a podium, and I couldn't be happier to have achieved it :D

so a few minor mods over the winter will hopefully allow me to keep up this pace next season, and who knows maybe a Scimitar will get on the top step!!!????
Last edited by turbster on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
www.gtevolution.co.uk

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:08 pm

Peaks and troughs anyone?

Saturdays "Sports V Saloons" race was blah, I was driving like a girl and couldn't pressurise the XJS I was chasing as he always seemed to be 50-100 yards ahead (apart from when he was nearly taken out by another XJS going into the Mountain). I was quite down afterwards, don't know why :?

Sunday was a different kettle of fish altogether :twisted:
What a race! I thought it would be close between me and Ben in the brown Scimitar GTE after I qualified a tenth ahead of him, but didn't count on the 2 RAF Locoblades joining the party. The green locoblade (only his 2nd race in that car, he crashed it at the hairpin the day before!) start stunned me a bit and as I had to try to negotiate a tyre-shredding Camaro I ended up losing 2 places by the first corner. I think I passed the green 'blade on the first run down Park Straight, getting on to the back of Ben. He showed me the way for a lap or 2, with me braking later and less often as I was thinking "If he can take it like that in a breadvan/hearse, I must be able to keep up!". I was looking for a way past at every oppurtunity, whilst keeping one eye on my mirrors as the chasing 'blade changed from green, to yellow, to green, to yellow! I had a go at the Hairpin, as I thought I had a run on Ben, but locked the brakes and nearly T-boned him :shock: Luckily he was watching his mirrors and gave me enough room to allow for my incompetence. We were soon caught by the leaders and I bet they weren't enjoying the prospect of making their way through a tight 4-ship! the green 'blade tried to sneak through with the leaders at Chris Curve but I thought "I'm not having that!" and squeezed him out going into the Gooseneck. Then Ben made a mistake at the end of the Park Straight after I pulled alongside and he left his braking a bit too late. We were side by side going into Chris Curve but I had the inside line and there were more leaders coming through, so he had to yield. The green 'blade had obviously passed him as well, then passed me again, I can't remember where (the Mountain?). I retook the position with superior top end punch up the Park Straight, but he was all over me. As we went into the Mountain the green'blade snuck up the inside, I went wide giving him room but still had the inside line for the right-hander up the Mountain, although I had two wheels well on the grass! As we came over the crest I looked in my left mirror and pretty much looked straight into his eyes, he was that close! I managed to hold on to the chequered flag, taking 3rd in class for the RAF 8)
It still gives me a buzz replaying some of it in my head. Gutted I had to take the camera out, the footage would have been ace!
Thanks to Ben & the locoblades for a fantastic battle, trying hard but never too hard. Ben was quite defensive on the first two laps and it was clear he wasn't going to give an inch. :D I knew I'd have to earn it, as there was nowhere I felt that I was significantly quicker, so it had to come from a mistake by Ben. Best race of the year for me and it's a bit gutting to think they won't all be like that :(
How the hell I managed to score 98 points (RAF) in amongst all that I will never know!
I never saw Paul in the race or qualifying, shame really as I would like to have seen what 8 secs a lap difference looks like :twisted: Respect Paul, awesome car and awesome driving! 8)
Cheers all,
Raz

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Sounds like it was one hell of a race/weekend...well done to all!

Congrats to Paul on losing his "Harmful" sign as well..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:26 pm

why did they make you take the camera out Raz? when we did the sprint at Cadwell (owned by Jonathan Palmers Motor Sport Vision group) we just had to sign a waiver saying that the first 50,000 quid of any monies earned from the footage belonged to MSV. fair enough to me, its for my interest not the BBC news!
interstingly at Loton Park i was asked to inform the Clerk of the Course of my onboard setup too, although didnt have to sign anything.

Paul
i understand the Lotus 7 'coffin-dodgem' being quick, but whys the TR5 so fast? they cant be much less than 950kg/250brake can they?

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:52 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:why did they make you take the camera out Raz?
Because I forgot to send the form off. Tried to sneak the camera in on Sundays race, but it's one of the things they check and they caught me red-handed :oops:

The Cadwell 4-ship:

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:22 am

CNHSS1 wrote:i understand the Lotus 7 'coffin-dodgem' being quick, but whys the TR5 so fast? they cant be much less than 950kg/250brake can they?
TBH I've thought the same, but watching it at Oulton, it's just mega in a straight line and pretty handy round the corners too, it just looks to launch out of corners and is just well sorted. As for weight, it looks as if it was built to be a racer and not just a modded road car, all the panels seem to be thin GRP and there's nothing there which isn't needed!!

If you take my fastest time of the day and theirs, they were doing mid 1:42's and I did a mid 1:45 so over a near 2 minute lap the gap's not enormous, but it looks worse when you're stuck behind someone trying overtake doing 48's when they're romping away on a clear track doing 42's. A 3rd on the grid would've helped me see where they were faster, but I'm pretty sure it's straight line speed as mine seems pretty average in that dept, as the Curborough speed of 86/87 would suggest??

It's something to look at because the car was faster than anything I followed through coppice including the 7 and an R400, which has got to be promising??

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
www.gtevolution.co.uk

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:41 am

Raz987 wrote: I never saw Paul in the race or qualifying, shame really as I would like to have seen what 8 secs a lap difference looks like :twisted: Respect Paul, awesome car and awesome driving! 8)
Cheers all,
Raz
Cheers mate, praise indeed, would've been good to have seen you on the track but I'm sure you were in maximum attack mode 8)

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
www.gtevolution.co.uk

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:20 am

orange5 wrote:I lost a positon of the start to a Westfield and he was as fast as me on the straights but braked sooo early it was unbelivable... This wound me up, as it was so bad I was nearly hitting him at every corner and if I got along side he was just pushing me on to the grass :evil:
I'd just like to point out that I believe that this was actually a Tiger Avon, not my mate Darren in the V8 Westfield. It was red wasn't it Paul? The lap chart shows it as #99, a red Tiger Avon:

http://www.smart-timing.co.uk/
Last edited by Raz987 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Return to “Events”