Anglesey 28/29 June 2008

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

turbster
RSSOC Member

Anglesey 28/29 June 2008

Post by turbster » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Another race weekend report as requested by Raz :wink:
Myself and Ben were there on the Saturday for the Sports and Saloons race, Danny and Neil joined us with the Sabre on Sunday for the Swinging Sixtes race, both were on the coastal circuit which uses the 'Corkscrew' section, which was as good as it looked to be when doing the national circuit lsprint last year.

Ben and I did the S&S race for a bit more race mileage and a further signature on the upgrade card, of course this was Ben's first race too!
We didn't hold out much hope of finish high up the order as the field contained touring cars, Caterham R500's and the Sylva Stryker championship ( Caterham style kit cars...but smaller, if you don't know of them ). Qualifying seemed to go well and the good news was all my hard work since Mallory had payed off as the car was pretty much perfect with the full complement of power everywhere :D
The results came through and I was 11th out of 28 with only 4 out of the 16 Strykers ahead with the Caterhams a TR8 and Integra heading the field, Ben was 25th.
The start was frantic with the strykers swarming around me and going 4 wide into the first corner....caution got the better of me and I backed off and let them get on with it, this dropped me to 16th and rest rest of the race saw me overtake 4 Strykers to finish 12th and first in class, with Ben finishing 23rd and second in class. I bet being monstered by a big orange Scimitar suprised a few of em :shock: great race and loads of fun :D

Sunday saw the heavens open for qualifying and the track has standing water everywhere, Craig and Claire arrived to watch...
We ventured out on to the circuit and did a few laps before the safety car was deployed to enable the rescue of a broken down car, so we all returned to the pits.
On the restart I decided to hold back from the car in front to get a flying lap and then return to the pits if I was happy with it, Ben and Danny were behind me and saw what I was doing and followed. The lap was good and I returned to the pits after 10 mins of the 30 and watched the rest of the session.
Not my best plan as the rain stopped allowing the standing water to go and in turn giving a bit more grip.
I feared the worst as the results came out, however I was 3rd :shock: and the E-type and Spitfire in 1st and second respectively had only pipped me on their last laps!
Ben was an impressive 10th out of the 26 and Danny/Neil were 19th.

The start was upon us and all that was in front of me was the E-type with the Spitfire along side, the lights went off and I dropped the clutch the car just gripped and surged past the Spitfire and up to the back of the Jag, down the short straight towards the banked right hand corner, the Jag went in deep so I went up his inside side by side through the corner as we exited I got the power down better and emerged in the lead :shock:
I pulled away in the first lap only to see a Twin Cam Lotus 7 closing in on me, this was the guy who won at Mallory and qualified lower down the grid than usual, as we went towards the big stop into Rocket at the top of the hill after the long straight he got along side under braking... I tried to defend but the back end started to come round so I had to ease off and take the wide line allowing him to pass on the inside... He slowly started to pull away at a second or so per lap as a AH Sprite closed in on me and again passed me in the same place as I was a bit cautious this time after obviously braking too late before. They both started to slowly pull away when an MGC and a TR5 came together bringing the safety car out. On the restart the pit stops started and I lost track of where I was however nobody else overtook me so it was fine...
I got the signal to pit and drove into the pit lane, I got out and forgot to close my door before getting back in , so as to not get a penalty, I had to get back out and close the door before getting back in :? then I couldn't get my belts sorted and made a total mess of it...again :roll:
I got back on track and could see the Sprite in the distance with a few cars in between us which turned out to be a lap down, I had a target and put in a series of laps a couple of seconds faster than him to catch him going over the line on the last lap, as we entered the Banking I went in deep to get on the power before him and it worked as I got up behind him going into the fast right hander onto the straight, I went for the inside and he slammed the door forcing me over the kerb and onto the grass, I backed off and didn't get another chance before the end...

I finished 4th 32s behind the winner, my useless pit stop had allowed the E-Type to get past and the Lotus 7 won. All in all I led my third race ever and was only denied a podium by the pit stop, so very very happy :D
Ben Finished 11th just beating Danny/Neil in 12th and I'll have to let him tell you about his races.

However that gave the Reliants 1st, 2nd and 3rd in class which was a great result :D

Bring on Oulton in August.... and yes Raz S&S at Cadwell mate :twisted:

Paul

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:23 pm

Top work mate, very exciting read! Congrats to Ben as well :D
I actually had a sneak peak at the results earlier and was wondering what had happened with the Sprite, as you were only half a second behind at the finish, I knew it must have been a good race!
Cadwell should be very interesting, you out-power me by a long way but I "should" be lighter. Be good to see how your hearse compares to my cheese wedge :twisted:
I'm looking at doing the S&S race, the RAF Race (we should have our own grid) and possibly the Future Classics as well :shock:

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:05 pm

Hearse.....now I'm REALLY going to have to beat you for that :lol:

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:13 pm

watch out Raz, its mighty quick for a hearse, hes all modern now with 5 gears and everything :wink:

it was a great day and all 3 Reliants went really well. be good to see an SS1 out there too.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:21 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:watch out Raz, its mighty quick for a hearse, hes all modern now with 5 gears and everything
Ha! I like it, welcome to the eighties eh? :wink:

Here's the line up of 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the up to 3000cc class

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Now THATS a nice sight...Well done to you all...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Well done to all :D

Ben are you sending this to Terry for Slice with your report?

Jim

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

turbster
RSSOC Member

Post by turbster » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:42 pm

scimjim wrote:Well done to all :D

Ben are you sending this to Terry for Slice with your report?

Jim
Cheers Jim, Phil

It's Bens pic and I think that's why it was taken tbh.

Paul.

LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:09 pm

Give 'em hell, Paul...but please don't bend it before November...!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:44 am

I've not put a post up before now as I thought I'd get lynched if I did it ahead of getting the RSSOC Curborough regs out. Plus it's past the deadline for SLICE and my latest crap is not in yet, I've got a day to get it in.... Paul's saved me putting up the photo anyway.

Yeah it was a great weekend, For most of the Saloon V Sports car race on the Saturday, I was circulating on my own. With the Jags behind me on the grid and a (BMW) Mini passed early on, there was no chance of catching the Strykers & Caterhams in my "Mod spec" Hearse. However, it was just great to finish my first race. To be 6th from last and to be lapped by only the front 2 cars was a bonus due to the fact I was never going to compete with the majority of the grid.

I was ginning like a fool (no comments required here) after the Swinging Sixties race though. I was pretty amazed to have qualified in 10th, even more chuffed to get up to 8th on the 2nd lap for 4 or 5 laps - it didn't last though. I had a good battle with a Spitfire, which came off at the hairpin while trying to push me, he got back on the track put lost a place, but quickly got it back and was sitting up my chuff. He got past me on the inside of Peel on the way down to the cork-screw and was then away. I think I was being a pansy on the brakes, but the long pedal did not inspire confidence. Next up an MGB had me on the lap after the safety car came in. So I was in 10th again when it came to the pitstops. After all the pit-stops had been completed, I was in 12th. So I suffered on the pits the same as Paul, so there's something to practice on my drive then! In front of me in 11th was Neil Condliffe in Iain Daniels Sabre. This gave me some incentive to push on and I chased him down over 2 laps. On the 3rd lap chasing him, I drew up alongside on the approach to Rocket, but I had to give way as I was on the wrong line, but not far enough ahead to make a proper pass, but Neil lost the back end and I got passed driving around the outside at Peel. From there on in, I had no-one else to catch as they were too far ahead, but I had a good gap to Neil, so I backed off as I'd started to smell oil (it turned out to be nothing). I did gat lapped by the winner, but only half way around the last lap.

My only views of Paul were seeing him in the lead, up to Rocket on the first lap and being pretty pleased for him. Then on my outlap from the pits, he was behind me, I dutifully moved out of the way, only for him to pull in for his pit-stop.

Before the race, I thought I might be mid-field, but was really pleased at coming in 11th of 25. 2nd in the 2 - 3 litre class, with Paul taking 1st and Danny/Neil 3rd, was brilliant too, a great result for the Relaints. (there wer 6 in the class for anyone thinking there might only have been 3...)

I'm looking forward to the next race, I might even have the car a bit more prepared... I was still sorting things out as qualifying was called for the first race! For encouragement to anyone out there. My car was pretty much a Mod spec car if you compare it to the Speed Championship's classes. So it was not uncompetitive. Obviously I wasn't as quck as Paul, but he car's not as modified.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:48 am

Hey Raz,

If you were trying to cram the races in at Cadwell to get signatures; I was told this week, that if you enter more than 2 events at a race weekend -you can still only have a maximum of 2 signatures on your licence. You probablly need to check this out though as it did not come from the MSA, but an organising member of the CSCC.

Ben

CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 am

thanks for posting the picture of you '3 Amigos' Paul.
i have had it enlarged and printed off proffesionally so that i can use it to scare small children away from our front room fire place :shock: :lol:

EDIT
i actually took the photo, you wouldnt believe how long they were sorting their hair and make up :lol:

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:25 pm

compsec wrote:Hey Raz,

If you were trying to cram the races in at Cadwell to get signatures; I was told this week, that if you enter more than 2 events at a race weekend -you can still only have a maximum of 2 signatures on your licence. You probablly need to check this out though as it did not come from the MSA, but an organising member of the CSCC.
Hey Ben, didn't know that, will have to look into it further.
I may well marshall one day anyway, so they should sig me up for that... :roll:

Sounds like your first race(s) went well, congrats on 2nd in class, it's no shame to finish behind Paul is it! Just do us a favour, paint that car... :wink:

Are you doing Cadwell?

Paul, what's needed to get a win then? :D

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:30 pm

Raz987 wrote: Just do us a favour, paint that car... :wink:
pot, kettle, black...

well, and silver in your case Raz :lol:

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:43 pm

I'm going to enter the Cadwell Swinging Sixties and one of the Saloon v sports car races. You, Paul and me will have to tie up to make sure we all enter the same race as there were a few different ones at Anglesey. Before that it's Oulton Park on 9th August.

Having disliked the colour of my car since I first saw it a few years ago, I've sadly started to get used to it. I'm planning to break it up a bit with a couple of big black stripes though at some point. In all fairness, I finished closer to Paul than I expected. I never had any pretensions of beating him. To be honest, my idea was just to get out there and have a go at it all before doing too many mods...

Ben

Return to “Events”