Rockingham 7 June 2007

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, nickkeyser

Raz987

Rockingham 7 June 2007

Post by Raz987 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Well, what a day!
The car still wouldn’t start on Friday night and to cut a long story short, we’d almost given up when on the last attempt it coughed, spluttered and fired up. You should have seen my face… :shock:
So we made it to the circuit at 9am, with sign on & scrutineering at 11am. Passed scrutineering, which was a huge relief, but they weren’t too happy that I needed a push start. We were going to borrow a battery from someone’s trailer, but it wasn’t even attempting to turn over, so my mate Lee had a good look around and found a wire hanging off the starter motor… :roll:
With that sorted, it was time for qualifying. It had been raining for an hour so it was a tentative few laps, exploring the grip levels on a circuit I’d never driven before, in a car I hadn’t driven competitively for 8 months, running on semi-slicks! :twisted: Had a little spin at the first hairpin when I lost it under braking, but other than that it was ok. Scary as hell, but I did what was required and qualified 21st out of 23.
It stopped raining at lunch time and the track began drying as the cloud cleared a bit. I was praying it wouldn’t rain again and the track continued to dry, so much so that as I was waiting in the assembly area for my race, it was getting pretty damn hot!
We did our green flag lap and I tried to get some heat into the brakes and tyres, left foot braking all the way up to my position on the grid.
The red lights came on, went off and I was racing! All my fears went out the window and I just concentrated on a clean first lap. Didn’t make up many places off the start, but as soon as there was some sort of order I started picking people off at the rate of one or two a lap! I was learning stuff about the brakes and tyres all the time and I can’t wait to see how much my lap times were improving. Some of the guys were quite defensive so I just waited until the straight and used my speed advantage to get past. About 2-3 laps from the end I caught up to a fast 205 GTi, but I started getting a misfire coming out of some of the corners. I think it was caused by fuel starvation. This meant I couldn’t challenge him for position. It got so bad that as I came around the final turn, I could see the chequered flag and the car just died. I was like “NOOOOOOO!” :shock: . Luckily it fired back up and that was the finish. So I finished 12th, 9 places higher than I started and with a huge grin on my mug :D . Could have been 11th though… (my fastest lap was 3.5 secs faster than the 205).
All in all, an amazing feeling and incredibly physical. On the banked turn I was showing 110-120mph and the lateral G was making it very hard work on the neck and left arm. One hell of a corner…
So I got there in the end. Thanks to all those who’ve provided help, parts, technical expertise & words of support. It was worth it :D
Raz

Results here: http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club&sea ... ntid=82364

Onboard video (first half):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK-mG0cTjOk

second half:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPP2zCAPyo0

Last edited by Raz987 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer
Pug 206 GTi Circuit Racer

ptscim

Post by ptscim » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:26 am

WELL DONE Raz :D

Phill.
(Leadfoot Morgan!)
RSSOC Speed championship competitor.
GTE mod prod class.
Present 5a.
Previous 2x 5a's, 6a and a competition prepared Se5.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:46 pm

Way to go - darned good result for your first race and seeing the competition as well! How the heck do you end up in the same class as R500 Caterhams and XJS's?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 pm

philhoward wrote:Way to go - darned good result for your first race and seeing the competition as well! How the heck do you end up in the same class as R500 Caterhams and XJS's?
Cheers Phils :wink:
I'm competing in the RAF Motorsports Asscoiation Race Challenge, hosted by the CSCC. Unfortunately we didn't have enough cars for our own grid, so got amalgamated with the Sports Vs Saloons (Allcomers) and JEC Jaguar races.
At least we know there's plenty more to come from the mighty SS1 :twisted:

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Hi Raz, well done! as you say, there's clearly lots of potential still to come. Keep it up!

cheers,

...Roger

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:39 am

Onboard video added to first post :D

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:09 am

Great, very entertaining, thanks for posting it :D :D

cheers,

...Roger

shrewsbury_streetracer

Post by shrewsbury_streetracer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:37 pm

Great run Raz. You looked very smooth and impressive.

The fuel starvation seemed to be on the long left handers?? Even with my new tank I was getting the same with low fuel at MIRA. I was wondering about putting a second fuel out connection on the opposite side of the tank in effect making a 'Y' feed to the pump. Is your outlet on the LHS?

When is your next outing?

2007 & 2008 RSSOC Sprint Champion

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:40 pm

shrewsbury_streetracer wrote:Great run Raz. You looked very smooth and impressive.

The fuel starvation seemed to be on the long left handers?? Even with my new tank I was getting the same with low fuel at MIRA. I was wondering about putting a second fuel out connection on the opposite side of the tank in effect making a 'Y' feed to the pump. Is your outlet on the LHS?

When is your next outing?
Hey Chris,
Putting an extra outlet on the tank won't work, as the pump will draw from "the path of least resistance". Yes, my outlet is on the left, but it's in a 1 litre "sump", so this should have avoided these problems. However, I think it was doing its best, as just driving up the hill out of the tunnel after the race had it coughing and spluttering, so I must have been past my "bingo" point. Think I might struggle in a 40 minute Future Classics race :?
Next event is Lydden Hill on the 12th July (my 30th birthday :D ). Possibly Oulton Park on August 9th. Then Cadwell on September 6th. Hopefully the Birkett (Silverstone) in late October. Hope to see you at one of them :D

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Just had a look at the results from Sundays Future Classics race (similar weather) at Rockingham and the winners (TR7 V8 ) fastest lap was "only" 4secs faster than mine :D My 1:42.9 would have qualified me 7th (out of 21), and 4th out of the 11 class E entries!
:twisted:

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

shrewsbury_streetracer

Post by shrewsbury_streetracer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:25 pm

Putting an extra outlet on the tank won't work, as the pump will draw from "the path of least resistance".

Hmm, the least resistance should be from the head of fuel from the side the fuel has gone to, ie not resistance but small pressure from gravity??

Probably spouting cr*p again but just mulling ideas around in my head :)

2007 & 2008 RSSOC Sprint Champion

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:42 pm

adding an extra outlet will only help if you siamese another pump and feed both pump outlets into the main line, but this is only marginally better as neither pump will want to pump air, so there will be some fuel starvation issues. think some of the single seaters use hi spec (aerospace type stuff from Tweeks) oneway valves to help where a swirl pot isnt/cant be fitted.
best bet is a seperate swirl pot imho and a tall one at that (good head of fuel). My tanks only 2 gals but quite tall. if i forget to brim it or when doing multiple runs on a test day at Cur-bog-horror i can get a tad of starvation, but generally its fine.

You could always slow down Raz and give those 205Gtis a chance? :wink:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:26 pm

IIRC Raz, Holley actually do a swirl pot off the shelf - but i'm going to be using a Facet Red Top Comp pump with a swirl pot made from some 2" exhaust pipe and 4 pipe stubs. Tried it once and all was absoutely fine. Somewhere between 1 and 2 litres is reckoned to be about right - pump inlet right at the bottom, then (IIRC) LP inlet, fuel rail return and tank return as close together as possible (in ascending order) towards the top. Took a bloke at work about 20 minutes to knock up - 10 minutes of that was finding some stub ends, and 5 minutes crack testing it for leaks!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Raz987

Post by Raz987 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 pm

philhoward wrote:IIRC Raz, Holley actually do a swirl pot off the shelf - but i'm going to be using a Facet Red Top Comp pump with a swirl pot made from some 2" exhaust pipe and 4 pipe stubs. Tried it once and all was absoutely fine. Somewhere between 1 and 2 litres is reckoned to be about right - pump inlet right at the bottom, then (IIRC) LP inlet, fuel rail return and tank return as close together as possible (in ascending order) towards the top. Took a bloke at work about 20 minutes to knock up - 10 minutes of that was finding some stub ends, and 5 minutes crack testing it for leaks!
Cheers for that Phil,
I was looking at asking Emmas stepdad to make me one, is there nothing inside them?
If the level drops, how does it maintain pressure to the fuel rail?

Raz
Ex-SS1 Ti Circuit Racer

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:29 pm

The trick is to have the swirl pot as a constant feed to the HP pump - the swirl pot will only hold a few psi (if any) as it takes the LP feed from the Facet pump and keeps a head of fuel for the HP pump. Feeding the pressure regulator return line back into the swirl pot LOWER than the return to tank (but higher than the LP feed) means you only feed back to tank what is true surplus.

Keeping the HP pump where it is....remove the line from tank to HP pump, and feed this into the low pressure pump. Feed to the HP pump now comes from the bottom of the swirl pot. Outlet from the LP pump goes about 40mm from the top of the swirl pot. Existing return line - disconnect from the tank and attach about 20mm from the top of the pot. Pipe out of the top of the pot back to the orignal return to the tank.

If it still doesn't make sense, try sketching it out on a bit of paper - it will make sense! Make it as big as you think you'll need - and remeber that carburettor-based pumps are good at sucking petrol, just don't pump it at particlarly high pressures.

The Red Top Competition Facet is the only one they list for "over 200bhp"...but Holley/Carter ones will pump enough fuel for 4-500bhp :wink:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Return to “Events”