Scenic Tours

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

daveb
RSSOC Member

Scenic Tours

Post by daveb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:39 am

Just completed the HRCR Autumn Leaves Scenic Tour on Sunday 4th November, it was a mix of superb scenery starting from Monmouth, coffee halt at Rowlstone Court famous for ice cream - although too cold for ice cream so coffee and cake was order of day, then on to Gospel pass and snow on the hills around the Black mountains afternoon tea at LLanthony Priory in an underground crypt with final run back to Speech House in the Forest of Dean for Carvery dinner. With a full entry of 66 cars from 1939 Citroen Traction Avant to a 96 Mazda MX5 there were just two scimitars entered and both coupes, mine with wife Pat navigating from the 8 page Tulip roadbook in my straight six, and Mike Simpson with navigator Simon Middleton in Mikes V6. The roads were narrow, very wet and muddy and a fair bit of reversing was required on meeting other cars.
Since restoring my Straight Six November 2011 I have completed in a number of HRCR and Scenic Tour events, normal road insurance and MOT, dont have to be member of organising club, they are non competitive but sump guards, and rally type mileage computers are recommended, and of course the cars get very muddy - not really for the faint hearted or concours owner.
Pat and I have done
ROSS and District Car Club Bluebell run May 2012
Kidderminster Car Club Hills and Valleys Scenic tour May 2012
Redditch and District car club Lavender Run July 2012
HRCR Summer Run August 2012
Wolverhampton and South Staffs Scenic tour ( finishing at a VSCC Loton park sprint meeting )
HRCR Autumn Leaves November 2012.

The routes are often planned by road rally drivers, in fact I recognise some of the roads that used to be unsurfaced grass in centre white roads back in the 70's in my road rallying days, but these scenic runs are run on touring assembly rules and run without timing, so high speed is not required - although there are some time restrictions and a bit of pressing on is required, but nothing dangerous.
I would recommend having a go so lets see a few more Scimitars out.
Have a look at the following website for information
http://www.classictourdiary.co.uk
and the following for some pictures of my yellow car on the Autumn Leaves
http://www.kpbphotography.co.uk/gallery ... =ascending

David
SE4 Straight Six XBF469D

awww.classictourdiary.co.uk

Own and restored by me.
SE4 Straight 6 Coupe, 1934 Austin 7 and 1934 Austin 10
Previous Scimitars
SS1 1300 a runner but too small.
SE5 which needed restoration but stupidly sold to fund a restoration project MGBGT which I part restored and subsequently sold.
SE6 scrapped body falling apart.
SE6B sold to local group member

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Re: Scenic Tours

Post by ScimitarMatt » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:55 am

David,

Mike and Simon told us about the rally at last nights noggin and it sounded like an excellent event. They also said it was excellent value at £45 each (£90 for the pair of them) which covered all the food, snack stops and road books etc.

Yvonne and I have done plenty of tulip rallies with the Hants and Berks Motor Club and they are a very friendly way to have some gentle competition, you're right, more people should try it

cheers, Matt

http://www.scimitargt.co.uk
RSSOC Coupe Registrar & Press Officer
coupe.registrar@rssoc.co.uk

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

'64 SE4, '70 SE4b,'75 SE5a, & Yvonnes SS1 Ti

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Post by chrisgallacher » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 am

David,

Great to hear about the Autumn Leaves Tour with your Coupe. These scenic tours are a great events in their own right, and although non-competitive they can require accurate navigation, often with tulip diagrams etc. They're one of the best ways to get a feel for what classic road rallying is all about IMHO.

The complete list of HRCR scenic tours can be found here although the 2013 dates aren't online yet. I've written a short piece about how to get involved in Classic Rallying for the next Slice, and it would be great to see some more Sabres & Scimitars out and about next season.

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:54 am

As a participant in two of these rallies this year Simon and I can whole heartedly recommend them as a fun event that doesn't need any equipment other than a functioning, reliable car, although having a rally tripmeter for this event did make it so much easier for the navigator as the interval distances are in the hendredths of a mile and a speedo isn't quite accurate enough, having said that we managed quite well on our first event in a car which had the wrong size rims on, just need to be good and quick with a calculator.

The people we met on both of the events have been more than welcoming to us as newbies, hope to do more next year then move up to a regularity event once we are fully happy with tulips and stuff which to be honest seems to be now, they really are that simple to use, only issue is should you take a wrong turn you have top get back to the last known point to continue unless you've brought maps, there was one poor soul on Sunday had his speedo cable snap on the way to the event, he was franticly plotting out the route on maps, saw him at the finish so he must have managed alright.

I'll pop some pictures up later when I've photobucketed them

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Cople of photo's now they've finally upoaded to photobucket

You tend to see some rather oddly named places

And as David said your car does get a bit mucky, this was at an early stage on the event before the first stop, it's far worse now

add into the equation the odd head on accident on very slippery single track roads, poor sod in the SEAT asked me how many others there were behind me I was 43 out of 66 entrants, can only surmise he'd spent all morning pulling over to let people through
Oh very little damage to the coupe, the two cars did just sort of kiss really :shock:

The views from the tops of the Black Mountains were pretty special as well, we got an email on saturday warning us of snow on them :shock:

These seats went a long way to making the whole trip very comfortable with no aches after being in them for 450 miles

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 pm

I did the Autumn Leaves some years ago and greatly enjoyed it.

we hope to do some more such events next year in my Coupe

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Return to “Events”