Le Jog 2019

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by chrisgallacher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:20 pm

I’m thinking of entering Le Jog in December 2019 in my Sabre Six – not this year as that’s too soon and anyway it’s pretty much full up. But I’m currently one navigator short of a picnic.

I’ve done four Le Jog Touring Trials in my Coupe and the Sabre so I sort of know it a bit, but I’ve never done the main event. It’s time to scratch that itch.

Le Jog is a cracking, relentless, exhausting, demanding, infuriating, exhilarating event. The organisers claim it’s the toughest historic rally in Europe so it’s not one to undertake lightly. If the crew or car are unprepared the event will catch you out.

You can read all about Le Jog here: Hero website and there’s a great forum thread about last year’s event here: Forum thread

And there’s also a full video here:

If this doesn’t inspire you, this is not the event for you. A sense of adventure, challenge and commitment is definitely required!

I’ve done a fair few road rallies over the years but I’m no expert, and I’m not looking for an expert navigator either. A feeling for maps, timekeeping and an organised, methodical approach is absolutely crucial, though. I’ll summarise in the next post what I think the navigator ‘job spec’ is.

This will be a serious commitment if we decide to go for it, and Le Jog is not cheap – but right now there is plenty of time to get everything sorted. I’m looking for someone to share costs, please.

Any interest, however informal, with absolutely no commitment at this stage? Please reply here, PM me or drop me a line at rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk.

Winter sunshine2 cropped, Ribblehead Viaduct.jpg
Winter sunshine2 cropped, Ribblehead Viaduct.jpg (140.01 KiB) Viewed 879 times
62-DC17_56298-(ZF-8232-53012-1-001).jpg
62-DC17_56298-(ZF-8232-53012-1-001).jpg (273.53 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Last edited by chrisgallacher on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by MikeyBikey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:12 pm

Well as much I would love to costs will keep me out but good luck and keep us informed.

Is we sideways yet...

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by chrisgallacher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:19 pm

I think you'd bring a certain 'flair' to the tests Mike :mrgreen:

You know you want to really.

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by chrisgallacher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:21 pm

We might never leave Cornwall however.

No offence :mrgreen:

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by MikeyBikey » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:48 pm

You are right on all counts......

Mikey : " Come on Chris, get the back end out !!!! "
Chris : " Mike its a reliability rally, not a race"
Mikey : "Bollox, the car's reliable. Hooner It. "
Chris : "Mike just read the map"
Mikey : "What map ?"

Is we sideways yet...

toolmanchris
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by toolmanchris » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:49 pm

MikeyBikey wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:48 pm
You are right on all counts......

Mikey : " Come on Chris, get the back end out !!!! "
Chris : " Mike its a reliability rally, not a race"
Mikey : "Bollox, the car's reliable. Hooner It. "
Chris : "Mike just read the map"
Mikey : "What map ?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris Barker
http://www.toolmanweb.com/scimitar
RSSOC: 4125

Yellow SE5a - currently undergoing restoration
Seat Leon FR - daily driver
Silver Hyundai SantaFe 2.2 - for pulling the caravan

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by chrisgallacher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Many a true word... :D

Anyway, here are a few thoughts on the Navigator role. Form an orderly queue chaps:

Le Jog is not suitable for a complete novice navigator. You need some experience in the basics of driving regularities in their various guises – navigation, time keeping etc. Using a tripmeter in conjunction with a stopwatch and a speedtable/route instructions is important.

You need to be organised, methodical and unflappable. You will be in charge of the road book, time cards, maps, stop watches, pens, markers, notes etc – and all of these will end up in a hopeless muddy mess in the footwell if you’re not organised. I know this. There’s not much space in a Sabre.

You must generally be good at doing things to time and working to the clock. At the macro and micro level. Whatever the driver (i.e. me) thinks, you will be the boss on the event. There may be times where a decision is required whether to continue a regularity, or cut and run to the next Check Point and this will be dictated by rally time. You need to ‘get’ this. And you need to have thoroughly read all the instructions, so you know the penalty structure and therefore know when it’s worth cutting and running and when not.

You need a feeling for maps. They must ‘talk to you’. You need to know how to plot navigation instructions onto 1:50 000 OS maps quickly, accurately and in a manner you can follow later. Grid references, spot heights, grid squares, OS symbols, compass directions, whatever. You need to know instinctively roughly how far and how long say 10mm on a 1:50 000 map translates to for real at 30mph, in the dark, in the wet, when you’re dog tired, without really thinking about it.

You need to know how to operate your stop-watch, how to reset it, how to set it going. Instantly, without stopping to puzzle about it. It must be second nature.

Mikey, look away now: if you have experience of directing a driver on tests (round cones, you know the sort of thing) that’s an advantage but less crucial as it’s more easily practiced beforehand.

Most of all you have to want to do this event, love classic motorsport and to be resilient and determined with a sense of humour. There will be occasions – in the middle of the night, in the dark and wet and cold, when it’s all gone a bit t*ts up – that you want to bail out. You need to recognise that’s all part of the challenge and it’s what we and every other crew (who will be facing exactly similar problems) signed up for.

Most of all, bring your twin senses of adventure and humour :)

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by philhoward » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:25 pm

I can safely say that there aren't many who've got what it takes. I did navigate for Geoff Cooper 20+ years ago but don't know if that's good or bad :mrgreen: ... we had great adventures but only a 50% success rate at getting to the end.

Circuit of Ireland Retro (twice) - we got through those relatively complete. I think the only "loss" was a wiper arm (sadly it was my side and rather useful to see where we were going). I think we went in the Coupe both times
Rally Verde Pino (Portugal) - made it all the way to Lisbon (driving), round the Estoril circuit (1st regularity) but didn't get as far as the first hillclimb (sheared a front upright on the Coupe) and ended up doing the rest of the rally in a hire car with the rally plates gaffer taped to the side windows.
London to Edinburgh Trial - Made it to within striking distance of Edinburgh Castle when the crown wheel decided to shear its rivets. That was his Sabre 4. An experience in January with a less-than-weatherproof "hood".

Would I do another one? Very tempting - but I'm afraid I will have to pass, Chris.

Anyone being tempted, it is an experience to be jumped at but as Chris says, you need to have multitasking and numeracy skills that will test you - but you'll never taste a better pint of your favourite tipple than when you get to the end. You'll never have thought you can have so much fun at 30mph (or 27.1mph if the organisers are being cruel).

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by scimjim » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:02 pm

chrisgallacher wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm
.....the navigator does everything
Which is why I only ever drove on Land Rover rallies :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by chrisgallacher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Yep, that would have been a shorter way of putting it:

"Navigator wanted for Le Jog. Must do everything"

:D

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary

heathsabre
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by heathsabre » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:12 am

In my very limited experience, it's also best not to be prone to travel sickness!

Regards
Tony & Jaki Heath
RSSOC Sabre Registrars

1964 Sabre Six GT
1963 Sabre Six convertible
1960 Sabra prototype

Scimher

Le Jog 2019

Post by Scimher » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:06 am

heathsabre wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:12 am
In my very limited experience, it's also best not to be prone to travel sickness!
...A very good point for potential navigators - even if I had the experience/finances etc. I would literally not be able to do it for that particular reason! I cannot read on a bus, train or in a car - even on a ferry, without very quickly starting to feel nauseous...(In fact, on a bus in Spain in my twenties, I must have been a :mrgreen: colour.... :oops: )

heathsabre
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by heathsabre » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 am

Your picture of the car splashing through the ford reminded me of the Castella cigarettte card.

Regards
Tony & Jaki Heath
RSSOC Sabre Registrars

1964 Sabre Six GT
1963 Sabre Six convertible
1960 Sabra prototype

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Le Jog 2019

Post by chrisgallacher » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:38 am

Several years ago I was in touch with Eric Bottomley who did the illustration above, hoping to buy a proper sized print. He did reply, but for some reason - can't recall why - it never came to anything. I might try again and see if I have more luck. I assume this illustration is a copy of a photo, but I've never managed to track the original photo down either.

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary

Return to “Events”