What's the best FREE email

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

Terry H
RSSOC Member

What's the best FREE email

Post by Terry H » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi all,
Got fed up with my email problems with not getting Gmail through to my Windows Live Mail account. The problems got very complicated and now decided to get a new email server.
What system do you use, I want a system that has a diary and is simple to use.
Regards Terry H

td99
RSSOC Member

Re: What's the best FREE email

Post by td99 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Why not just use gmail via chrome browser?
Gives you all you need...

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:38 pm

What's the problem with your ISPs mail service? Generally far more reliable than webmail services.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Why not just use gmail via chrome browser?
Gives you all you need...
I'm using IE as I prefer it and want to keep my t.hadigate@ntlworld.com address.
What's the problem with your ISPs mail service
It doesn't give notifications like Windows Live Mail and no diary, and that's where this Gmail problem is.
Regards Terry H

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:01 pm

I don't have a problem with Gmail but use Thunderbird rather than any windows product.

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:15 pm

+1 for Thunderbird.

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Honda S800, Austin Maxi,Citroen GSA, Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:20 pm

I use gmail in outlook and apple mail - and occasionally in IE or chrome. It has far more than just a calendar function. What sort of notofications do you want? Windows live is almost as problematic as ntlworld.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:29 pm

I had BT's Talk21 for many years, in fact since the days of Mercury Telecoms, bet not many of you remember *them* but since all the Yahoo nonsense and charging some people different rates and others free etc with btinternet and openworld I have switched to GMX. It's German. Very unfrilly, but has all the features - diary, organiser, etc etc I don't use most of them. It's ideal for old farts like me who are not into messaging and social meeja and sending strangers photos of my breakfast. Only 2 irritations: the opening screen is filled with news updates on the lives of Z-list nonentities, but you soon bypass that with log in, and the search engine only looks on contacts and subject fields, not in message content. It has very good import trawling to bring in all the emails from your old account so switching is easy. Its screens are largely old fashioned boxes with English words in them - not stylised "using computers for dummies" prettied up pictures from a 5-yr olds colouring book (you can imagine what a fan I am of Word 2010 !!). Gosh, am I really such an old dinosaur? I'll stop there :lol:

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 pm

+1 here too for Thunderbird + Firefox (although I got used to Gmail & Chrome at the office)
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Post by drcdb15 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 pm

Sorry, just to add, I always prefer to keep my email separate from my ISP and also web based so I can access it from any computer or smartphone. GMX is a sort of KISS, Ronseal type of email, suits me fine.

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

Alan_GTC

Post by Alan_GTC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am

There's actually two potential questions here - not entirely clear which is being asked:

Either -

Who should you use for a free e-mail service

Or

Which piece of software should be used to retrieve e-mails

On the first question - there's a couple of obvious choices, Google (g-mail, googlemail etc) or Microsoft (outlook.com, hotmail.co.uk) - both are pretty good - I use both, they have fairly decent spam protection and are happy to be used on a variety of devices.

Turning to the piece of software - depends on the hardware (PC, tablet or phone). For this purpose I think we're talking PC.

Interesting the OP is having problems with G-mail and Windows Live Mail - Windows Live Mail (WLM) is now discontinued by Microsoft and isn't being supported any longer. I've used it in the past and have now moved onto using Windows Mail - I've had the odd problem on synchronising with G-mail but in my experience the usual culprit for these problems is certain Anti Virus / Firewall pieces of software. It would be interesting to know which Anti-virus the OP is using as that may give a clue to the problem here.

Thunderbird is fine as an alternative - but as I recall doesn't have a calendar function.

The other way, as suggested by others, is to use the internet browser front end - which both MS and Google offer for their respective mail services. That has the added benefit of not being upset an Anti Virus, because you're looking directly at their system rather than trying to 'pull' the e-mails onto your system.

Hope this helps.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:32 am

Likewise, I don't use any email programs (for personal use, anyway) - I have used gmail for 11 years now and access it via the webpage (through the Google Chrome browser as well). As well as a full Calender, it also has seamless inbuilt support for Google Docs as well which gives you reasonable MS Office/OpenOffice equivalency (albeit in a simpler version). A 15GB Inbox is handy - I don't think I've needed to actually properly delete an email ever although its "Bin" auto-clears itself out after 30 days. The Gmail app works well on my phone too - as long as I've got an internet connection of course

Like all email clients, their spam filters can be a bit over-zealous from time to time but at least using gmail via the webpage, you can see the real contents of your spam filter, not just the ones that still get through to your mail software.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:38 am

The reason I asked this question was because I am using Virgin Media and Windows Live Mail as my email system. I could not get Gmail.com emails through to my email neither could I get chairman@rssoc.co.uk emails to my email. I was running Windows 7 Pro with Internet Explorer.
My email problems have now been solved as I have changed computers, am now running Windows 7 Ultimate with Chrome as my browser and Virgin Media only for my email. Thanks for all comments.
Regards Terry H

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:24 pm

drcdb15 wrote:Mercury Telecoms, bet not many of you remember *them*
I do. They had really cool public phone street kiosks in the 1980's. They had launched two kiosk designs, and they were just about to launch their third which was the most incredible thing ever. It was like a giant, articulated, one-legged robot alien. The idea being that you could pull the phone kiosk down like a standard lamp to suit your size. But then they lost the contract for public phones I think and it never appeared. They were innovators in public phone kiosk design though... future thinking that arrived too late.

Then in the early 90's they offered one of the first national network mobile phones. It cost a fortune to buy it... an enormous blue plastic flip phone. It was make or break for them so they put out the offer that on launch day the first Xthousand buyers would get free phone calls for life.

Lots of my friends at the time rushed out to buy them, thinking they'd have free calls for life. The restrictions were that it was national calls to other Mercury users only, and only between 6pm and 9pm (or summat) and you absolutely had to use the phone every day or you would invalidate your contract for free calls. i think those people who paid through the nose for those first phones had free calls for about a year before they lost the phone, broke the contract, or simply upgraded to the mobile phone competition that exploded shortly after.

Anyway, as you were.

Gmail is the best IMHO.

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 pm

philhoward wrote:Likewise, I don't use any email programs (for personal use, anyway) - I have used gmail for 11 years now and access it via the webpage (through the Google Chrome browser as well). As well as a full Calender, it also has seamless inbuilt support for Google Docs as well which gives you reasonable MS Office/OpenOffice equivalency (albeit in a simpler version). A 15GB Inbox is handy - I don't think I've needed to actually properly delete an email ever although its "Bin" auto-clears itself out after 30 days. The Gmail app works well on my phone too - as long as I've got an internet connection of course

Like all email clients, their spam filters can be a bit over-zealous from time to time but at least using gmail via the webpage, you can see the real contents of your spam filter, not just the ones that still get through to your mail software.
ditto

but be aware that google seems to want to know when you last farted, or at least track where & when you did :-)

PS use a false DoB etc when you set it up :wink:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”