Malware issues

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

Corky
RSSOC Member

Malware issues

Post by Corky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:41 am

I somehow managed to get my W10 laptop infected with a variety of malware that was forcing it to communicate and share my keystrokes with other computers. It also managed to limit access to any website via any of the browsers I had installed. Whenever a link was clicked, it diverted the browser to alternative websites and bombarded me with adverts and messages telling me to install software that would solve my problems with popups and malware :pc :evil:

These symptoms also prevented downloading any updates to antivirus software or downloading new malware software.

The fix was to download the Windows version of "Malwarebytes" onto an SD card plugged into an android tablet. I was then able to load it onto the laptop via an SD card reader. Obviously you could download it onto another PC or device, but that's all I had to hand at the time.

I can't recommend this program enough. It's free for 14 days and then requires a subscription if you want to carry on using it. It was recommended to me by an IT professional. It found 465 infections and dodgy files and deleted the lot. The laptop now appears to be working perfectly and much quicker than it has done for a few weeks. I'm just glad that I don't use it for any personal data or online banking etc. All my passwords have been changed as a precaution.

Just posting this here in case anyone else has the same issues.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Re: Malware issues

Post by ScimmyMike » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Malwarebytes is a permanent install on ours at home and we use in the office on an as and when basis, sorts all sorts of poo out on windows machines another we use is CCleaner, that one can look at registry and sorts issues out there, if you are on BT use their McAfee software works pretty well imho just switch the update one off or rather don't select it when installing, windows 10 updates ok by itself, not sure why you'd need another process doing the same thing and slowing pc down a lot whilst it does it.

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:39 am

I don't normally do "Windows", and this incident reminded why. I'm going to install this on the other laptops in the house that the kids use, and see what's lurking. If there's a Mac version, I'll give it a whirl on that too. However, the Mac has survived for nearly six years without anything more than a firewall installed.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:43 am

There is no charge for use of Malwarebytes, only for the premium version which they try to sell you.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Its actually a time lmited trial you get Andy, when mine expires I uninstall it then delete the directory then run CCleaner in the registry, removes all trace and allows you to reinstall when you need it

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:04 pm

I have used it for years and never had to do that. The time limited trial is the full version, which you just deselect on installation. The standard version is free.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”