Colour Laser Printer wanted

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

Corky
RSSOC Member

Colour Laser Printer wanted

Post by Corky » Mon May 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Can anyone recommend a wireless laser colour printer with built in scanner. Speed is not important, but cost of toner and reasonable print quality is.

I'm looking to spend about £200, which seems about average for a domestic one.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Re: Colour Laser Printer wanted

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon May 02, 2016 9:58 pm

Give Printerland a call and ask for their aqdvice.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Ben Kenobe
RSSOC Member

Post by Ben Kenobe » Mon May 02, 2016 10:17 pm

You'll struggle for £200, check out the but it isn't £200 for sure, Samsung CLX-6260FW close but still more expensive, depends what you consider cheap on toner since toner isn't the only consideration, I'm not sure what the fuser/drum life will be like and how much it would cost to replace, same for the scanner lamp as they don't last forever. I think in your price range you're almost into disposable stuff. You certainly won't get bigger than A4 for £200.

What do you plan to do with it scanner wise and print wise, you'll definately be compromising one or the other so it depends what quality you consider acceptable for both scanned images and printed images i.e. dots per inch (shown as dpi in most listings / specs) - don't be fooled by gimmickry - if a scanner has an optical resolution of 1200 dpi nothing on earth can improve on it - you can't add information that isn't there - they often embed 'image enhancement' which is software that tries to do exactly that.

Why not try for a secondhand more 'commercial' machine such as something from Xerox ?.

Either way if you call somebody make sure you've thought about what you want to achieve in both scanner and printer terms.

I write down everything I want to remember. That way, instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it is I wrote down, I spend the time looking for the paper I wrote it down on.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimmyMike » Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Why laser, inkjets are as cheap to run these days Steve

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Mon May 02, 2016 10:22 pm

At the moment I'm using an HP ink jet that I paid £25 for in a Tesco flash sale. The scanner is fine for what I use it for. A bit of OCR and copying documents and drawings. The print quality needs to be good enough for documents, but better than what an inkjet would produce. Printing photos isn't particularly important.
Last edited by Corky on Mon May 02, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Mon May 02, 2016 10:24 pm

ScimmyMike wrote:Why laser, inkjets are as cheap to run these days Steve
Inkjet Just don't seem to produce nice documents like lasers do. I only ever had one because lasers were very expensive. As lasers now start at just £90, I thought I'd give one a whirl.

Steve

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon May 02, 2016 10:26 pm

the hidden costs of laser printers mean you really have to need the extra quality (and they are far superior) - I'm afraid they're a disposable commodity now and I use Tesco inkjets and replace when the cost of the new cartridges exceed the cost of the printer. If I need high quality for reports etc, I email them to work and print it there :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon May 02, 2016 10:34 pm

You could use your existing scanner and go for a printer only. I chose a Xerox 6600 which seems to do a good job and importantly will accept compatible cartridges.

Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:53 pm

scimjim wrote:the hidden costs of laser printers mean you really have to need the extra quality (and they are far superior) - I'm afraid they're a disposable commodity now and I use Tesco inkjets and replace when the cost of the new cartridges exceed the cost of the printer. If I need high quality for reports etc, I email them to work and print it there :-)
Good advice

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Mon May 02, 2016 11:37 pm

I have a Dell 1320C it was £99 from OYYY.co.uk and I refill the cartriges with aftermarket toner myself or buy an aftermarket cartridge. They last a long time. I think the 4 colour kit I bought was £16. Inkjets use a lot of ink and you are always replacing them. If the nozzles get blocked you sometimes end up dumping it. Bin there!!!! Also injets are useless for printing Peter Freeman's diagrams since he insists on a shaded background which uses lots of ink and soaks the paper.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue May 03, 2016 7:08 am

I have two of those Dells going begging as I refuse to dump them. They both have forgotten minor faults but have spare cartridges etc. Anyone want them as a gift?

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Tue May 03, 2016 7:35 am

toomanysabres wrote:I have a Dell 1320C it was £99 from OYYY.co.uk and I refill the cartriges with aftermarket toner myself or buy an aftermarket cartridge. They last a long time. I think the 4 colour kit I bought was £16. Inkjets use a lot of ink and you are always replacing them. If the nozzles get blocked you sometimes end up dumping it. Bin there!!!! Also injets are useless for printing Peter Freeman's diagrams since he insists on a shaded background which uses lots of ink and soaks the paper.
I think we're on the same page here Geoff !

I'm just fed up of inkjets. They seemed to have advanced very little since I bought my first one 20yrs ago. The jets get blocked if you don't use them for a while. So you use the utility to clean them and lose the remaining ink from the cartridges. You then spend the the rest of the day searching for the spares you know you have, only to find that they're for the printer you threw away when you bought this one :evil: . Also unless you spend a lot of money on the best Epson or HP, the document print quality isn't anywhere near the cheapest lasers. And when you do, you end up only buying the official cartridges at great expense so you don't knacker it. Been there done that, knackered one...... Or two..... :lol:

Time to try something different 8)

I'll have to have a look at using aftermarket toner. I tried filling my own ink a few times, but it's very messy. I had bright yellow fingers for a fortnight.

Steve

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Tue May 03, 2016 8:27 am

I think not all lasers can be DIY refilled but my Dell ones can. Pull off a strip of 'selotape' easily prise it open tip in the toner, reassemble and change the chip as the printer ' knows y know' this comes with the toner.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue May 03, 2016 8:29 am

Quick look at Printerland and the 6600 is still on the cashback offer. A few others to consider too...

http://www.printerland.co.uk/Colour-Las ... 32496.aspx

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Tue May 03, 2016 8:52 am

toomanysabres wrote: Also injets are useless for printing Peter Freeman's diagrams since he insists on a shaded background which uses lots of ink and soaks the paper.
How often do you need/want to print the diagrams Geoff - done with a shaded background so white cables can be seen as what they are and not mistaken for black/white when they have to be edged.

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”