file explorer

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

file explorer

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:51 pm

I am having problems with file explorer - it crashes regularly and as I was trying to update the NE website I cannot drag and drop files into it - or delete file from it - or look at the site with file explorer. All in all things were better when I ran in XP - now running in Windows 10. If all else fails is there as way I can revert to XP - I have the dvd but it does not want me to revert to an earlier version of windows.

td99
RSSOC Member

Re: file explorer

Post by td99 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Did it work previously with Win 10? If so maybe a system repair/reinstall would help.

Reverting to Xp seems a bit drastic. You could try another file manager (Powerdesk, commander etc).
I've always been a fan of Powerdesk as it has a load of handy extras.. There is a win 10 version available now. It includes an FTP feature handy for website maintenance too.

You should be able to reinstall XP if you wipe (format & repartition) your C drive first. If the XP boot cd does not offer to reformat and disregard existing OS on disk, you'll need bootable disk management software on a USB stick (or CD).

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:09 pm

You can revert back Peter but you may lose the ability to see or read files used in Windows 10. I lost everything when I reverted back to Windows 7 from 10. Some of my files are all gobble de gook now. If you go to Microsoft web site it will tell you how to do it.
Regards Terry H

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:19 pm

As Trevor advises I will try something else instead of Explorer. Not sure if it will help with my Dreamweaver though ( I cannot get it to test in Explorer now ) ( sorry I did not mention that before ). I have thought about buying another SSD drive and loading that with XP then I can format the original. I also have open office which I can open the Win 10 files with then save them back to XP types. Never trouble free is it - thanks for the advice.

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:32 pm

peter freeman wrote:...Not sure if it will help with my Dreamweaver though ( I cannot get it to test in Explorer now ) ( sorry I did not mention that before )..
Peter, are you talking about windows file explorer here or Internet Explorer?
To test a web site I would have thought IE, which would make two separate problems...

1800Ti DET project, RAV4

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:50 pm

file explorer - I tried opening the text list on the noggin site and it would not open in IE. I also have just tried power desk and that does not run in windows 10. I have loaded CubicExplorer and that does not transfer the files to the noggin web site but it is far better and quicker than file explorer so that will stay.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:55 pm

One of the big problems I have - especially with file explorer is that I get continual "not responding". I also get the same thing with other programs since "upgrading" to windows 10.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:17 pm

I have just ordered a SSD for my standby pc which I will load with XP and I can use that to update the noggin site ( I hope ) - seems like the best way to do things given that I was considering fitted a SSD to the machine anyway.

toolmanchris
RSSOC Member

Post by toolmanchris » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Yup Windows 10 - in my experiance dont bother upgrading.
I have on my Dell Dual core Quad and it runs like a dog with 3 legs.
I plan to do the same as You Peter and invest in a small SSD but re install Windows 7 which ran fine for me and install that in my Dell.
I will then use my existing drive for storage only.

I use Filezilla to upload pages to my website host and that worked really well on Windows 7.

Chris Barker
http://www.toolmanweb.com/scimitar
RSSOC: 4125

Yellow SE5a - currently undergoing restoration
Seat Leon FR - daily driver
Silver Hyundai SantaFe 2.2 - for pulling the caravan

td99
RSSOC Member

Post by td99 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:03 pm

peter freeman wrote:file explorer - I tried opening the text list on the noggin site and it would not open in IE. I also have just tried power desk and that does not run in windows 10. I have loaded CubicExplorer and that does not transfer the files to the noggin web site but it is far better and quicker than file explorer so that will stay.
FYI: Powerdesk version 9.0.2.3 (very recently released) is W10 compatible and installs/runs and runs smoothly.

1800Ti DET project, RAV4

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Powerdesk seems to vary a lot in price - 8$ to 39$ but the 8$ does not seem to be available - surprise. I think I will wait until I have tried the new drive and XP on my standby machine before shelling out any more money. Thank for the advice though - it is appreciated and will be kept on a note. One thing that has improved is the Cubic Explorer seems to work in the same way as file explorer but is much much quicker.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:02 pm

XP Pro now loaded on my standby pc - its good to be back to something that works - NEnoggins now accessible and the changes made that I wanted to make. Sometimes new is just not as good as old.

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”