French Phone System/Internet

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

BigJohn

French Phone System/Internet

Post by BigJohn » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi, Can some one explain this please, I live in France and we have our phone and Internet with SFR, (Dark Star may sympathize with the problem) when we moved to our current address it was a renovated property with no Phone line to it, as we rent we thought it would be the responsibility of the Landlord (Who is exceptional and lives with his wife next door so cant complain as he is so helpful) we were told it was up to us? so as we had been with SFR whilst in StCezaire we thought we would stay with them, (the choice was Orange or French Telecom neither were recommended and SFR was thought to be the best of the worst) Now I do not speak French, tried got frustrated forgot more than I learnt gave up, Happy Bunny!! my wife Sharon however does speak French, and was landed with all the sorting, I just had to be here when people called ETC, we had the line installed by a miserable chap that was very reluctant to do anything until the Landlord stept in with a Crisp E20 and greased his palm so to speak, we have found this is quite common!! (Even the first visit to see my Diabetic Doctor was followed by a request for E20 and they are one of the free services)

Anyhow I waffle, all installed and working, sorry you cannot have internet TV as your too far away from the BOX? well we had internet and free calls across Europe, Wife happy as she could phone her mother and spend an hour and not remember what they spoke about!! the internet worked all be it S L O W, painfully slow, at times the old Dyno Dial Up would have been quicker!! recently we have lost wireless connection with the modem, no worries with most things in France they come back, (however my large pc is hard wired to it and never lost connection Bit like third world living, power cuts etc LOL) then the Modem stopped working, day later worked, this went on for a while then it stopped for a couple of days instead of a nice Green light we had a Red one, now the wife went through the SFR standard list remove this shuffle that etc whilst phoning them on her mobile, this got us no where, they tested the line and said it was ok? so it should work, we had a hard job convincing them it wasn't until my wife asked the chap to ring her, he did he could not get through? so they have deemed the Modem faulty and are sending us an super dooper uprated newfangled all the bells and whistles thing!!

Finally my question, if you have got this far I thank you, when the modem was working, I unplugged it and plugged the phone direct to the socket, should I have got a tone? Because I didn't but the Modem was working? If it was Diesel or Petrol I may have a clue but this not a chance!!

THEY TOLD ME I WAS DELUSIONAL I NEARLY FELL OFF MY UNICORN

toomanysabres
RIP

Re: French Phone System/Internet

Post by toomanysabres » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:08 pm

Ah I had that here with my BT line a long time ago. I had no dialling tone but was able to report the fault on-line. The phone line is a pair of wires. They had put a new green cabinet about a 1/4 mile away next to another and were gradually moving the connections from one to the next, took a week or more. They had trapped or broken one wire of my pair with some other connection. They can put an instrument on the line and ping a signal and measure the distance from the exchange to a fault. Lo & behold it was where they were messing with the wires.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

tanuki
RSSOC Member

Post by tanuki » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Welcome John to the wonderful world of internet/phone connections !
I am not sure how the SFR box is working - I am with Free - but it should be rather similar ...
If you are on an ADSL line, you cannot plug directly the phone on the wall socket ... it has to be
'behind' the ADSL filter :wink:
If you are lucky that your adsl filter has a plug on it, you should be able to plug the phone to the filter - I think -
but it is likely that the ADSL filter probided with your SFR box is directly connected to the box itself (?)
in which case the phone has to be plugged to the box - with a small RJ75 cable most probably -

I have experienced occasional 'cuts' whenever the provider was working on the deployement of their
ADSL network, anything between a couple of days up to a full week :evil: and then had nothing at all
(phone/internet/TV were dead) ... the first time I complained and a ticket was open with the provider ...
and it took a couple of days before things came back to normal, the other times I had just been patient :roll:
When I had a long week cut, it turned out that 'everything was OK' on their side ... which means on their
ADSL network down to the local city relay box. Free had to issue a request to the so called 'historical operator'
- they cannot simply say France Telecom :lol: - and a technician came to my place and confirmed that there
was no signal between the relay and my home installation, although after checking the wiring at my home
everything was fine. The guy then opened a small lead door on the pathway opposite my home and found
that the wires leading to my home were simply disconnected ... it looks like a smart !@# who had just moved in
down the street had been playing around with the connections :shock: the technician rewired everything and my
line went back to normal immediately ... what surprises me is that the phone lines are readily accessible in
the street to anyone with a pair of screwdrivers :shock:

Not sure that this will help, but I understand the feeling ...
good luck !
Fred

now: Scimitar SE5 ('71), Scimitar SE6a ('79), Scimitar SST 1800Ti ('90), Ford Anglia LHD ('61), Ford Consul Capri LHD ('61), TVR Chimaera 400 ('96), Caterham SV ('10), Lexus IS200 ('04), Austin Metro 1000 ('82)
past: Mitsubishi Celeste ('77), Alfetta Quadrifoglio ('85), Nissan Maxima ('95)

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:21 pm

You can plug a phone into the line ahead of the adsl filter but it will seriously degrade the internet performance. Our adsl filters here all have a BT and the modem socket.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Thank you for the replies, yes the phone is connected direct to the Modem/SFR supplied box, and yes we are used to loosing the net or having it run painfully slow and at time exceptionally fast!! which isnt the norm, weekend or evening use can get very frustrating

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:54 pm

We have a New Modem and I must say the internet speed has more than trebled, so me fink we have had Gremlins for some time, the phone now plugs into a connection coming off the cable from the wall rather than the modem itself, so looks like a system that was described by tanuki, is the one we now have, time will tell.

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”