Simple video editing software recommendation?

Having problems with RSS? Outlook? Windows?

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Terry Rickard

Post Reply
User avatar
swoakes
RSSOC Member
Posts: 6002
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by swoakes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Guys,

I want to convert some old movie films to digital format.

This will be done by recording the projected image using my digital camera.

I want to be able to edit the resulting .mov files by muting them (original movies had no sound) and I want to be able to edit the .mov files, cutting sections out.

I want to store resulting file as a .mov file or some other common digital file type.

Any recommendations :?: Preferably free :wink:


Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Image
"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
scimjim
RSSOC Member
Posts: 33354
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 640 times

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by scimjim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:44 pm

I use Microsoft’s Windows movie maker - limited capability but free (recently discontinued but will be on any machine pre W7) and sounds ideal for what you need?


Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

User avatar
swoakes
RSSOC Member
Posts: 6002
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by swoakes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm

scimjim wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:44 pm
I use Microsoft’s Windows movie maker - limited capability but free (recently discontinued but will be on any machine pre W7) and sounds ideal for what you need?
I have some powerdirector software on my laptop which is similar I think BUT I think it will only save edits in its own unique file format :?: I want something that will allow me to save or at least export projects to a recognised file format (for future proofing reasons)


Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Image
"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
td99
RSSOC Member
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by td99 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Wondershare video converter is awesome, converts almost everything to anything. Works super fast with a powerful video card. it also enables the download of video from BBC iPlayer and to keep it forever (unlike the official iPlayer download!)


Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

User avatar
swoakes
RSSOC Member
Posts: 6002
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by swoakes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:23 pm

td99 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:17 pm
Wondershare video converter is awesome, converts almost everything to anything. Works super fast with a powerful video card. it also enables the download of video from BBC iPlayer and to keep it forever (unlike the official iPlayer download!)
Does that also allow editing of an .avi file? and saving as an .avi/.mov file :?:


Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Image
"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
td99
RSSOC Member
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by td99 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm

It can cut out parts of video and/or combine parts etc, add subtitles etc., but I don't think it can do detail editing like eg Premiere.
https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/


Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

User avatar
swoakes
RSSOC Member
Posts: 6002
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by swoakes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm

td99 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm
It can cut out parts of video and/or combine parts etc, add subtitles etc., but I don't think it can do detail editing like eg Premiere.
https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/
Just downloaded it.

It works :D

Thanks for the recomendation.

Just need a video camera with a good zoom and autofocus in low light now.

The output is a little "fuzzy"; even fuzzier than the original film :)


Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

Image
"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
scimjim
RSSOC Member
Posts: 33354
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:08 pm
Location: Gloucester
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 640 times

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by scimjim » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 pm

swoakes wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm
scimjim wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:44 pm
I use Microsoft’s Windows movie maker - limited capability but free (recently discontinued but will be on any machine pre W7) and sounds ideal for what you need?
I have some powerdirector software on my laptop which is similar I think BUT I think it will only save edits in its own unique file format :?: I want something that will allow me to save or at least export projects to a recognised file format (for future proofing reasons)
Movie maker will save as WMV, AVI or MP4


Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

User avatar
CNHSS1
RSSOC Member
Posts: 13405
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:13 pm
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 160 times
Contact:

Simple video editing software recommendation?

Post by CNHSS1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:10 pm

I've used windows movie maker too, easy for a numpty like me :-)


Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Computer Problems and Solutions”