Membership of Classic Marques.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Post by AllingtonGT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Given the increase in entries for Scimitar cars this year and those of us now unable to join the CM party, it seems a very good reason for maintaining the SSSC in parallel with the option to step back outside CM for next season. The risk is that we blunt the renewed enthusiasm for Scimitar sprinting in 2018.

Hindsight reprimands that we all need to "enter early" appear neither helpful, encouraging nor constructive. Perhaps some leadership might be more constructive for those of us that would like to compete but are not that bothered about scoring in the SSSC as we're more motivated by involvement and being part of the competition rather than winning?

We didn't anticipate that CM would be 'full', but as an inclusive and encouraging Club what is our plan to ensure those that want to sprint occasionally can be involved and participate in 2018? What are the options?
Last edited by AllingtonGT on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterSM
RSSOC Member

Post by PeterSM » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 pm

I don't think that anyone realised that there would be such a large uptake in CM. They seem to be a victim of their own success.
I think the issue is the number of potential competitors at each event.
As discussed at the drivers meeting at Curborough not running as a formal championship would risk that we would lose the invites and for the most part this has been the case.
As Mike says above if anyone is affected by this can they contact us by the comp sec email or PM so we can understand the scale of the issue and investigate options.

Peter Smith
SS1 Sprint Car, 1800Ti SS1 and a very special Sabre DET

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:09 pm

The Ty Croes 2018 regs are now on the web site and the SSSC is invited however it says awaiting MSA number.....have/are we applying for one :?:

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Nick
RSSOC Member

Post by Nick » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:10 pm

If the remark about reprimands is aimed at me I mildly resent it. Craig and I worked hard over many years to make the Sssc work.

I was merely trying to be helpful for those wishing to compete this year.
Last edited by Nick on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Post by AllingtonGT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Nick wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:10 pm
If the remark about reprimands is aimed at me I mildly resent it. Craig and I world hard over many years to make the Sssc work.

I was merely trying to be helpful for those wishing to compete this year.
Nick it was not aimed at you. I took your suggestion as constructive and should have said so in my post. I was more anticipating what might be said.

We need a constructive approach and suggestions for how people can be involved this year, not a list of reasons why they can't. The history of yours and Craig's support of the SSSC is well documented and very much appreciated.

I think what we are seeing is the delay in response to your exhortations, the changing perspective that all can be involved and a notable increase in interest in all things Scimitar. It would be a real pity to damage that enthusiasm if there is no room at the CM Inn.

PeterSM
RSSOC Member

Post by PeterSM » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm

The Application for a championship permit is with the MSA. We are awaiting a response.
AllingtonGT wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:22 pm
It would be a real pity to damage that enthusiasm if there is no room at the CM Inn.
I totally agree and Mike and I will do our best to ensure that as many people can take part as possible. It is fair to say the the transition to CM has not been as smooth as it should have been.

We are also still an invited club at Loton

Peter Smith
SS1 Sprint Car, 1800Ti SS1 and a very special Sabre DET

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Post by AllingtonGT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:36 pm

PeterSM wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm
The Application for a championship permit is with the MSA. We are awaiting a response.
AllingtonGT wrote:
It would be a real pity to damage that enthusiasm if there is no room at the CM Inn.
I totally agree and Mike and I will do our best to ensure that as many people can take part as possible. It is fair to say the the transition to CM has not been as smooth as it should have been.

Peter, it might be helpful therefore to start a separate list of venues/events where we are an invited club so that those of us outside CM can apply should we want to. Additional work for you and Mikey, but helpful to all of us outside the CM.

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm

PeterSM wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm
AllingtonGT wrote:

Excellent news; I'd be surprised if we are not an invited club/championship at most of the venues/dates that have historically been on our own calendar

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:54 pm

philhoward wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:52 am
CNHSS1 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 am
We have a number of non sssc event invites Phil, so competing is possible just not scoring within the sssc
Non-SSSC invites, or non-CM Invites?

As someone who's obviously thought about it too much before possibly deciding, it appears the boat has been missed. I get the feeling that this wasn't a position that was considered by either the SSSC or CM (that they would be over-subscribed) but annoying that if you haven't been able to get your ducks in a row by the middle of Feb, you've missed out for the season.

Ah well..
Non CM invites, some clubs invite us to lots of events irrespective of whether it's a championship round.

To be fair the position was outlined in November last year, and posts made to ensure people applied early.

The take up was unprecedented to CM, can't see how that could be foreseen tbh.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 pm

swoakes wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:09 pm
The Ty Croes 2018 regs are now on the web site and the SSSC is invited however it says awaiting MSA number.....have/are we applying for one :?:
I created a draft set of 2018 regs and passed on to current Comp Secs so assume they've been submitted Steve

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:03 pm

All

Given that after out extraordinary Drivers Meet at Curborough where it's was universally acknowledged that the sssc was in dire trouble in its then current form, I was tasked to find a solution. This was researched by me and options tabled, and you all voted on the future. Itbwas heartened to hear the optimism, but now saddened that despite suggestions and warnings via email, posts on here and again at the drivers meeting held end of january to get registrations in early some have missed the boat.
I'd like to think I'd done enough, but seems not.

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:06 pm

So to try to put some perspective on this.

Despite the incredible amount of hard work Nick and Craig put in the SSSC participation was sporadic at best. Thus we unanimously agreed to join CM as it had a lot to offer, venues, similarity to scoring, like minded etc etc. However two things have arisen.
Historically we have been shielded by the reality of attending events. By having our own series we have allowed ourselves to join SSSC and events as late as we wanted. In my experience with other race organisations this is not normal. Locally there is a lot of competition for slots so you have to join and HAVE to get your applications in early otherwise they are full. Especially as now everything is going online and so compies can and do book months in advance.

CM has been a victim of its own success. Clearly lots of competitors are attracted by the same qualities that attracted us. The numbers joining CM have almost doubled from 45 Last year to 85 this year capped. It was 9 only a few years ago. No one would have anticipated that.

So if we want to be part of a wider organisation we simply have to be quick of the mark. We don't have exclusivity anymore.

That said Peter and I will pursue.

Edit.
Craig we crossed posts. You did more than enough. Thank you.

Edit the other factor is their race programme starts 2 April. So in reality its been cut off only 5 weeks before the start of their season.
Last edited by MikeyBikey on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is we sideways yet...

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:13 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:03 pm
I'd like to think I'd done enough, but seems not.
Not your fault Craig (in my case) - my procrastination is my downfall here. From (originally) an outside observer only, then CM seemed a very sensible solution. I doubt CM envisaged the need to apply a cut-off of number either, as mentioned by Mikey.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 pm

MikeyBikey wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:06 pm
CM has been a victim of its own success. Clearly lots of competitors are attracted by the same qualities that attracted us. The numbers joining CM have almost doubled from 45 Last year to 85 this year capped. It was 9 only a few years ago. No one would have anticipated that.
Sorry Mikey, I disagree. There were a lot more than 45 people registered for CM last year (56 is one number I’ve seen on the CM fb site) so I DO think it should have been anticipated by Steve Cox and passed to us. There’s only 10 new Scimitar owners registered (edit 13 at time of closing entry list) and 8 Morgans so along with the normal annual increases they’ve seen over the few years they’ve been going, the possibility of a cap should have been mentioned earlier IMO.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:53 pm

A shame for those that cannot not compete in CM and SSSC, but hopefully it won't act to prevent them from getting out in their car's this year.

I wasn't prepared to sign up for CM this year as I can't envisage doing more than a 2 or 3 events if that and it seemed a shame to fill a seat for that. I'll find my jollies one way or another!

I believe it was touched upon at the DM, or muttered at least, that CM was growing quite significantly and whilst it could have been speculated this might happen, it would have been nice to have had some forewarning. But that is Steve Cox's call and fair enough, we play to those rules.

The 2018 season is very much a trial year in my view and may prompt a serious re-think for 2019. As agreed at the D.M. the SSSC MSA regs should be carried forward this year (if not done so already) and hopefully there is the potential to bring the championship out of retirement further down the line in one way or another.

The Morgan lot seem nice, can't we shoulder up with them? "The Morgan and Reliant Speed Championship" has got a ring to it... :lol:

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”