2018 SSSC Academy

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

PeterSM
RSSOC Member

2018 SSSC Academy

Post by PeterSM » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm

The RSSOC will be running its academy programme once again in 2018. The Club awards 1 x Academy winner per season with £500 towards their personal protection and safety gear, ie helmet, race suit, gloves etc. Any funds left over should be spent on entry fees, not to be spent on making the car quicker! :wink:

The recipient also gets a free entry to the pre-season test at Curborough, and a free entry to the August annual club sprint, again at Curborough.

To be considered the applicant needs to of eligible age i.e. over 16yrs old, be eligible to hold an MSA licence (no medical reasons you can’t) and not have held a race licence before, essentially be a beginner.
No such thing as a free lunch, so the successful applicant will be expected to write up a brief article for each Slice, a ‘warts and all’ progress for their foray into motorsport, the idea being it dispels the ‘I can’t do that’ myth that many have of competing, and shows the highs, lows and successes along the way. The successful applicant will be expected to complete a season (7 events) to qualify too, and act as a good will ambassador for the Championship, ie show the Club/SSSC in a positive light where possible.

The successful applicant will also have access to a mentor, an experienced compie either local to you or in your class, same type of car etc, that can answer any basic queries, and hopefully attend your first event just to show you the ropes. Obviously as Comp sec Mike and I are also here to help as well. You don’t need to take up on the mentor, but they are there if needed.

All the entries are collated towards the end of February and are considered by the RSSOC committee early in March who then award the position. There is also 1 x further awards of free Curborough entry in addition to the main Academy winner. The runner up will also have access to a mentor.

If you wish to be considered send me a brief outline suggesting why you would like to be considered, your scimitar background and a few lines about you (career, location etc and anything of interest like you are a keen hang glider enthusiast or won the 1989 International basket weaving championships, that’s sort of thing). These will be forwarded to the committee who will make the ultimate decision.

If you require any further information drop me a PM or email.

Closing date for entry is the 26th February so please drop me a PM or email with your entry before then.

Peter Smith
SS1 Sprint Car, 1800Ti SS1 and a very special Sabre DET

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”