Competition Pages Update

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Nick

Re: Competition Pages Update

Post by Nick » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Geoff,

I sympathise, having been through some of your "confusion" last year. The basic problem is a lack of clarity from the MSA. Our club and class system worked pretty well last year, I would strongly advise staying within this ,a look at Craig's "guidelines" will give you a fairly clear view of what you can do and stay in Roadgoing class. Within our handicap I had some great competition with 50% more powerful cars on B1 tyres in my 165 horse SS1 :D

My interpretation ( please note ,me, not the club, I am sure Craig will comment if he does not agree),presuming you start with an SS1 turbo

Intercooler/exhaust/air filter not a problem. You will have to get a rolling road power output anyway. Cam changes and major head work is not allowed. Torque is the key 8)

Wheels and tyres are free. You could go List 1B, but would run to a tighter handicap. i would stay with list 1A. No slicks

At least the factory roll bar. I would also look to lower the seat. Also a 4 point harness

The main point is that you cannot run adjustable shocks or change springs. Polybushing is OK.

Brakes ( but not pads) must remain standard.

No LSD

Going beyond this will put you in Modsport. The key point here is that you will then have to run at least a 4 point MSA standard roll cage.

Why not come to the Curborough test day in March and have a go, and a chat to the compies there? I will be there.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

geoff corderoy

Post by geoff corderoy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks for the replies everybody. Obviously the RSSOC handicap system will do something to level the score in the championship but I am still unclear about the situation when we go to other clubs events. However I will go away and study the Blue book and make some decisions. With a bit of luck I might even make it out on the track this year for a change.
Geoff

SteveyC

Post by SteveyC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 am

Is all the info on the hompage relating to competition supposed to absent? The intro is the only page that works for me?

'76 SE6a manual overdrive and '78 SE6a awaiting reinstatement.

Previous - Fiesta4609000Accord80PrimeraMondeo825306FeliciaLegacy9008209-5100NXLegacyMetroSuburban900amongothers - touchesofbrillianceinterspersedwithuttercr4p

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:34 pm

contact Nick Hall for details.

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

SteveyC

Post by SteveyC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Thats cool, I will when I have a car to compete in, just thought for the benefit of others really.

'76 SE6a manual overdrive and '78 SE6a awaiting reinstatement.

Previous - Fiesta4609000Accord80PrimeraMondeo825306FeliciaLegacy9008209-5100NXLegacyMetroSuburban900amongothers - touchesofbrillianceinterspersedwithuttercr4p

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm

I couldn't help notice how far out of date the Competition section of the main Scimitarweb site is. It's not ideal for a newcomer looking for info. If you want people to come directly to the forum, might I suggest that the old data is removed from the Comp section and a link to the forum instead, this would mean the pages wouldn't need to be updated and would make it look like the Championship is active.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Do we want to try to glean as much information as possible for the competition pages from competitors at curbs? Its a good opportunity to grab any photos etc needed while we have a lot of cars together.

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Is this actually being updated, and if so who's doing it? Happy to offer my services to write a bit/help out where needed.

It would be nice to see atleast the calender, Nick H's excelent guides to going sprinting, and some results / photos up there.

I used to really like the bit with the profiles of the competitors, and a blurb about theyre car. Can we do that again?

We currently totally lack web prescence with the SSSC, besides a few stickys on the forum.

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm

The competition calendar is included in the club calendar but I don't know who is keeping this up to date. It may be possible to give calendar access to a compie volunteer or for there to be a separate calendar in the competition section.

As for other content, let me have up to date stuff and I'll happily put it on.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm happy to put some stuff together and drum up some help from the other compies - assuming that no-one else is already doing it? dont want to tread on toes / double up.

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:56 am

This morning I've updated the Temporary ScimitarWeb Competition Page with links to the Facebook Page and YouTube Channel that have been set up by Josh Oakes. :D

Whilst I applaud :clap: this effort to widen the visibility of the SSSC I'm also slightly miffed :cry: that Compies can find time for Facebook and YouTube but not supply the material for use on their very own ScimitarWeb. In the meantime I get it in the neck because of the lack of an up to date Competion section. In the past I provided a blog on ScimitarWeb for competition use. This looked good for the initial couple of entries and then simply stagnated and had to be removed for being so far out of date. I need to know what you need and what you'd like, before I have a chance of providing it. Nick K, it looks like you've probably got yourself a job coordinating this as no-one has yet complained of sore toes :wink:

COME ON YOU COMPIES, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT :!:

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:00 pm

How do, Ian. I'm not into youtube or facebook, I'm into sprinting and hillclimbing. I don't cope well with modern information technology and can barely manage to get a reply in to this post.
I definitely don't cope with being shouted at by a person I don't know. I have contributed in the past with reports of events in which I have competed but I'm darned if I will from now on.
I've had my fill of judgemental, anonymous officious strangers, goodbye.

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:23 pm

I thought I'd made it quite light-hearted so I'm very sorry that I've upset you.

I take exception at being called a judgemental , anonymous officious stranger and if the rest of the compies feel as you do then I might as well close the Competition section completely. You wouldn't have this forum to enable you to vent your spleen in such an uncalled for manner if it was not for my work over the past few years. If anyone is anonymous it is you with a username of b.c.flat hat and no real name visible; I really am Ian and my full name as the ScimitarWeb Webmaster is available in the club contacts list and in Slice.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:07 pm

b.c.flat hat wrote: I'm not into youtube or facebook, I'm into sprinting and hillclimbing.
Good call Brian. I don't know who you are referring to and I don't want to know.
The use by anonymous people of this so called social media which is far from social as far as I can see. You only have to look at the TV or read the newspapers to see what trouble these keyboard warriors or tolls try and cause. The organ of communication in the club is letters to the editor in Slice or the use of this forum which has been very successful since its launch not farcebook. I want nothing to do with it.
There have been yet another outbreak of unnecessary storms in teacups and backbiting since Curborough. If someone has something to say then it should be where all can see it and comment intelligently. Not third hand chinese whispers taken out of context to a select few. This serves no useful purpose except to get people hot under the collar. I have discovered I was also a target in one of these sniping sessions but I am long enough in the tooth to just ignore it. I think the club should also ignore these things. If people are not happy about something then they should be open about it. Not go around undermining or doing a takeover job on the committee and other people who worked hard at club events past and present.
Geoff

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:30 pm

I can see both sides. Ive not met Ian in person but he proved very helpful when I was involved with the club, but I have to say I saw the Ians post and it did seem a tad harsh with little obvious previous grounds (sure theres been plenty ive not spotted or maybe stuff us normal users arnt party too).

BC is a 100% compie trooper, one of the nicest guys you will meet, but he is allowed to take exception in the same way as Ian, although Ians suggestion of rmoving the Compie section does seem a tad of a threat rather than purely a comment.

For me I think theres a case for the compies to split from th club altogether. Theres regualr friction, and many are much more sprint/hills orientated than scimitar these days. I certainly see myself in this position.

If the Club, Committee or any other official would like to see the SSSC seperated or removed from the auspices of the RSSOC its only a conversation away.

Many forget that the RSSOC was created for Competition originally so BC and the other compies have more right tha most to be part of the RSSOC, unless summats changed im unaware of?

Craig

Ex Comp Sec and committee member and great supporter of the SSSC

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”