Competition Pages Update

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Re: Competition Pages Update

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Ian

Given that youve expressed that you are the Webmaster im sure people wi realise your role now and subsequent efforts and will stop th need for further friction, you are the unsung hero, rather than one of the 'faces' of the club :-)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:03 pm

I didn't realise I was stepping in to a minefield laid by opposing factions that I know nothing about. :w

I have been tasked by the Club to produce and maintain a website that reflects all of the differing areas of interest of it's members. I have done that to the best of my ability and to date I've had no major complaints. Some time ago I was asked to remove the Competition Pages because they were out of date and it didn't reflect well on the SSSC, effectively giving the impression that it moribund, which I know full well it is not. It is in the interest of both the RSSOC as a whole and the SSSC that the situation is corrected. I would like to see Competition Pages on this site that give the full picture of what you guys do. Personally I would like to see up to date driver and car profile pages, annual results tables and plenty of action pictures and videos, along with guides and encouragement for newcomers to the competition scene. But what I'd like doesn't matter. That's why I'm prompting you guys to let me know what you want to see on ScimitarWeb. I'm not trying to do any "taking over" of anything and I am not privy to any "back-biting" or "sniping" that may have gone on between other members of the Club.

Forum posts and the like, that are commonly short and to the point, can easily give the wrong impression, particularly if the reader is already over sensitive to a related issue. Please take my posts in this area in the spirit in which they are meant; to be supportive of the SSSC section of the Club and help promote it's web presence.

I am sincerely sorry that my words have engendered such a negative response so far.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Sorry folks wrong thread really but

My beef was about finding out someone said all committee members should be attending the Sat night bash. - pardon. (not committee I hasten to add)
I was miffed that because I am on the committee I HAVE to take part.
I am too long in the tooth to do camping (did lots in the hills and mountains 30 – 40 years ago) but I prefer the option of a room in the Fradley Arms.
That involves driving, albeit not much but I am not going to do it drunk. Also current & ex compies go there and we had a jolly dinner in the pub!!!!
So aggressive internet posting from a keyboard warrior is not acceptable. One of the reasons to shun and avoid farcebook.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Post by Oaksey » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Ian, is there any way it can be done so that compies can update the pages/section themselves? I think it would encourage people to add info if they can do it themselves whenever they please and don't have to have all the info ready done to be sent off to someone to put on the pages.

That's why I've given all the compies the login details to the YouTube page, so they can all add videos as and when.

Also, I would have put my hand up to write something for the pages, but 1. I'm not actually a compie and 2. I know nowhere near as much as everyone else, so there wasn't much point in me doing it.

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016 and 2017 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:02 pm

There is a complete redesign of the site underway that will address the issue of editing access to various areas, but it is some time away. In the short term I may be able to provide a blog again that would enable direct reporting of sprint and hillclimb meetings. The problem is that some one, or more than one, or everybody, from the compies would need to keep it up to date. Even if a full report was out of the question, just one picture and bare details such as the top 3 SSSC results and the FTD, would be enough. I'd also like to publish the overall results for past years if they can be provided.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:01 am

Ian wrote: I'd also like to publish the overall results for past years if they can be provided.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4585 - Is this what you were after, Ian? Published and maintained by toomanysabres :wink:

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 am

As I used to be "Mr. Inbetween" on this issue, I can (sort of) see both sides. The SSSC needs to maintain exposure and there are several channels to do this. We got to the point of having a lot of info, but is now out of date. As part of the last rewrite of the website, a lot of time was spent by Ian incorporating the ideas asked for at the time (i.e. the blog) and as good as Ian is, he can't make up the words to make the content.

For whatever reason, the information feed has stopped/slowed to a crawl to the point that there was no other alternative than to remove the section from the website as it was a few years out of date, giving the impression that the championship stopped about 3 years ago...

Ian can (given the time to do so) provide pretty much all the tools needed to display the information, but the information needs to come in from the Compies. If its on here, but not in the right place (i.e. in a thread about a meeting), then the link to the thread should be sufficient?

As has been mentioned, it needs a person(s) to get info from the forum threads into the more permanent place of the compie webpages. Nick K, I think you might have just volunteered ;)

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 am

Personally (as I've said before) I think that the competition pages wouldn't be needed if the forum compie section was properly re-structured instead of having to go into "competition general" and hunting around aimlessly for "how-to's" or event reports, etc. there's some excellent reports in there but the thread isn't always logical (ie date and location in title, link to regs, SRs, pics and reports) with stickies on tracks (location, paddock info, course info, etc), beginner guides, reg changes, etc.

It's fairly obvious that no-one has the time to update stand-alone pages (except for a couple of volunteers every 2 or 3 years) - so why duplicate the info just to let it go out of date?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:32 am

If someone can tell me what structure is wanted, I'll restructure it (although don't have time to sort each thread into its new home)..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 am

Either that, or I'll make an example, and you guys can offer suggestions on it?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:42 am

I did that - and became a mod to re-arrange it all

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:28 am

I didn't mean to cause an argument - just wanted to get the website upto date.

I agree with Jim that a forum restructure would reduce the need for the compie web page - but disagree that we sbould get rid of it completely.

As i see it the compie page needs an intro and bits like nicks guide to going sprinting - it needs to say what we do, and a bit about classes etc to give an idea of what you need / how to get involve - not a gospel just a loose guide that will tempt people in and interest them. A history of the scims in sprinting would be good too. As much of this wants to be written in a way that won't go out of date.

A gallery and video section would be nice - but could either be a very pic heavy thread, or a special compies gallery on here? Same goes for videos, you tube or somehow upload them to here (I'm going to vote youtube with a link to here as we have. It's more accessible / coverage and no need to take up clubs server space with tons of videos.) but don't know about pictures.

The remaining documentation should IMHO be uploaded to a downloads section, a central resource if you like,, all the regs, last years results, championship entry form etc, and anything to do with our curborough sprint - entry form, entry list, results. A blank SSSC spreadsheet too, as I beleive that's a must for anyone building a racer. This, besides up the upload of pictures (which I think anyone should be able to do) should be the only section that needs updating year to year. I think that would be much better than sticky on a forum - but does obviously need to be easy to find.

The forum then Takes the rest of the chit chat, broken down into sections for trials, sprinting, etc and general motorsport. It would ne nice if the the guys that rally and trial had more input.

A sub forum for race reports works nicely - anyone can write them and comment on them, so unlike a blog it doesn't come down to one person to update it.

Don't really know what to do with the driver / car profiles etc.

Your opinions please...

I'm happy to help but not doing it on my own... :p

Josh, going by your times in testing your more than qualified to wirte for the SSSC!

Infact it would be nice to have a race report from an outsider - maybe next curbs we could see if anyone wants to be roaming reporter, would be interesting to get a report from someone looking in - rather than a compie looking out.

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 am

....and a fresh link to my archive please https://sites.google.com/site/rssocarchive/Home

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Post by nickkeyser » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:57 am

Of course. Another one for the resources page IMHO.

"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:58 am

It's already a sticky on here - but the archive is only as good as the results fed to Geoff

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”