Tyres for use in SSSC

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, nickkeyser

Corky
RSSOC Member

Re: Tyres for use in SSSC

Post by Corky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:44 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:
Yes and no

We can add a reg such as the ROPS but having been involved with the inclusion of that reg, its was as a common sense addition by the rssoc. If someone wished to compete without that addition of ROPS in yhat class, they wouldnt contravene any msa regs, but the SSSC would exclude them from the scoring system for the championship.
Exactly.

As I mentioned earlier you could still compete with slicks in a log booked MP, but you would be outside the wording of the current SCCC regs and could ultimately be excluded from scoring points should someone protest the result.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:51 pm

As mentioned, at least one Championship has been won using slicks on a modprod car since the scoringsystems inception, so i cant see any of the regular long standing compies protetsing it, as im sure most were under the same impression as me and i suspect Jim.
Just seems an oversight/mistake/mis wording, call it what you will, which can be re-worded at the drivers meeting if brought up, to placate everyone (you Steve...;-) lol)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:54 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:As mentioned, at least one Championship has been won using slicks on a modprod car since the scoringsystems inception, so i cant see any of the regular long standing compies protetsing it, as im sure most were under the same impression as me and i suspect Jim.
Just seems an oversight/mistake/mis wording, call it what you will, which can be re-worded at the drivers meeting if brought up, to placate everyone (you Steve...;-) lol)
:lol:

Just got my pedantic head on tonight, and of course I'd like the chance to use slicks should the opportunity arise :wink:

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:58 pm

One point re slicks, was that after the success of Bob and Batmobile on slicks, the handicap factor percentage was upped to its current 5% from 3.5% iirc. It certainly makes the leap to slicks one you really need to consider given cost, effective life span (they age rather than wear out) and need for wets or a spare set of wheels and tyres.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 am

Corky wrote:But the SSSC can add extra regs, such as :-

3.2.4.1 ROP meeting the requirements of MSA Blue book section K 1.2 are recommended for the “Road-Going” class, excepting SS1/SST/Sabres, which must be fitted with a 4-point ROP as a minimum (the optional factory Reliant roll-cage – or RSSOC re-manufactured item – can be used if already fitted to the car). This exception does not include road-legal cars in the “Modified Production” class.

Which makes perfect sense to me.
yes, I proposed that regulation.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12 am

scimjim wrote: yes, I proposed that regulation.
Juding by the photos, I'm not surprised. A very sensible addition in my opinion.

Steve

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:19 am

Yep, i too am very much for not running to safety minimums, i do get very annoyed when peeps penny pinch on safety and yet happy to spend dosh on going quicker.

b.c.flat hat
RSSOC Member

Post by b.c.flat hat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:07 am

CNHSS1 wrote:Yep, i too am very much for not running to safety minimums, i do get very annoyed when peeps penny pinch on safety and yet happy to spend dosh on going quicker.
How do.
I spend wisely on my car because I ain't got much. I don't have a recommended ROP cage cos it would make my car far less of a proper road going, it's a big enough pain climbing into the racing seat with OAP bones as it is and dealing with the 4 point harness!
We shop in it, go to work, drive to the circuit, enjoy its performance and drive home, we adhere to the spirit as well as the regs.
I'm happy with the tyre regs for road going and will carry on using 1A for the next couple of seasons. I would ask that the road going regs should be as simple and clear as possible to encourage newbies to try our sport and not to swamp them with a bucket full of does and don'ts.
I'm happy to let you quicker guys sort your own class regs out, nowt to do with me.
Best o' luck fer next year, Brian the Bread.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:26 am

My perception is as Craigs. Our INTENT is to work to MSA regs. If there is a lack of clarity I am happy to ammend our regs by consensus.

Theo only exception was that any SS1 should at least have the factory roll bar. I totally agree with this one. I have got close to rolling an SS1 at about 90 mph, and my abiding thought is "glad I got the uprated roll bar"

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:29 am

Hi BC, my comments were aimed at the fast sporty scimitars with no roof, rather than the Hovis Haulers... ;-) all that doughs great for crash protection, like a yeasty airbag going off!

on another related note...

re List 1A and 1B tyres, we are all potentially in for a minefield as the EU are likely to ban the tyres we know as List 1B type tyres for road use for 2015 (17% minimum tread pattern and uber soft) so im not sure what the MSA have in mind for season after next anyway.

whilst the tyres could still be run on track, as they wouldn't be road legal beyond 2015, then the MOT loophole cant be used by the MSA & competitors, so the cars would need to be logbooked and I assume caged too in some cases.
Does mean that lots of powerful cars will have decision to make, whether to de-tune and stick with 'ordinary' road tyres (currently known as 1As in MSA terms) or if they want the grip they currently enjoy/require, use 1Bs and become more track orientated with the other safety items that brings. My Sabre certainly is pointless on track with 1As as many will have noticed in first practice runs of both Ben and I at Curbs test session :roll: :lol:

its not to worry about for next season, and I suspect lots can happen in a year, such as it all get chucked out by the DOT and we carry on as we are, or like a lot of these proposed law changes, they get proposed, watered down and away we go.

I know that a number of the current List 1B tyre manufacturers have halted or reduced their ranges, just in case so seems to have them at least partially worried...

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:14 pm

It'll be interesting to see how that pans out. Unless I've misunderstood, I would've thought that some current 1B are probably OK, such as the Kumho V70, Toyo R1R, Pirrelli PZeroC, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup etc. As they all have patterns not a million miles away from standard road tyres (Except R1R of course). R888's and A048's etc. would probably the ones that wouldn't be road legal.

I'm sure the manufacturers will just adapt to comply. One to watch though, I'd hate to get caught out with a stack of expensive rubber I couldn't use.

Steve

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 pm

CNHSS1 wrote: re List 1A and 1B tyres, we are all potentially in for a minefield as the EU are likely to ban the tyres we know as List 1B type tyres for road use for 2015 (17% minimum tread pattern and uber soft) so im not sure what the MSA have in mind for season after next anyway.

whilst the tyres could still be run on track, as they wouldn't be road legal beyond 2015, then the MOT loophole cant be used by the MSA & competitors, so the cars would need to be logbooked and I assume caged too in some cases.
Presumably the ban/allow decision will be based on something other than simply list 1b status, as Vredestein Sprint Classics (as I use on the Mulberry car) are, at least currently, List 1b, but are essentially standard (albeit very good) road tyres. They don't have limited tread, for example. They are used on some classic competition Jaguars, I believe, maybe why they appear on the list?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Im sure they will, but the speed eventers will suffer imho. The uber soft compounds will disappear and they will migrate twoards current new car sizes in 17,18,19 inch. they will have constructions aimed at 1200kg plus cars too :-(

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:39 pm

I believe its an EU decision Roger so god only knows what they base it on lol. The MSA compiles the A & B lists after tyre manufacturers nominate and then pay to have tested, their tyres

Return to “General Sprint and Hillclimb Chat”